March challenge - Enter here!

Deadline for entry:

February challenge WINNER ANNOUNCED!

CGAN December 2021 - YETI - Final entries

01 Dec 2021 12:39 - 01 Jan 2022 15:33 #38197 by Banj
YETI
VOTING OPEN UNTIL Jan. 8th 

Brief: Enough of Hobbits, it's time to take our mind off of the cold snowy weather and paint... Yetis. 

Deadline: Midnight on the 31st of December. Voting will then be organised some time in the new year when one of us wakes up and deals with it (be prepared for us to forget).

This thread is where you post your final entries, WIPs (work in progress) should be posted over here: cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...2021-yeti-wips#38198

Challenge rules and guidelines:
cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challenge-rules

Rules in brief:
- All challenge entries must be your own work.
- You should post at least two WIP images that are clearly different from your final entry and each other.
- Your final entry should contain your image (inserted so it shows up full size) and at least two links to your WIP posts on the forum.
- No chatter in the finals thread – if you have questions, post them in the WIP thread or PM an admin.
- Feedback is allowed & encouraged together with the voting and in the WIP thread.
- Deadline is given in UK time (midnight UTC) with a grace period of 5 minutes for getting the post sorted.
- Each member may cast one vote.
- No cheating! Admins may decide to disqualify an entry that does not adhere to the above rules.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

31 Dec 2021 12:48 #38761 by Valence
1: Sculpty Monkey Suit.  

2: Hairy Poser.  

3: Snowman.   

And sorry. No teefies. :cry:

And I really think of the animation as being "The Final" rather than a pic but I still can't embed that so  here it is again as a link.
Attachments:

01 Jan 2022 15:34 #38792 by Charlotte
VOTING OPEN

Vote for either Banj or Valence and their respective yetis. Feel free to include feedback and please vote before Jan 8th.

:pirate: :snowman:

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

01 Jan 2022 15:37 #38793 by Charlotte
I think I'm going to vote this month. :dumb:
And my vote goes to Valence. Though I like both yetis and really enjoy watching them "evolve" in 3D. :)

01 Jan 2022 15:50 - 01 Jan 2022 15:51 #38795 by Banj

Another vote for Valence.

A creative design with a great expression despite the lack of teeth. The animation is also very nicely done. I would like to have seen more of an environment more than the black void as a background, but other than that another fun one to watch progress.

01 Jan 2022 17:06 #38799 by Valence

I would like to have seen more of an environment more than the black void as a background...

So would I. :lol:
For some reason I can't quite get those HDR things to work for me. For the Orc I thought it was cos I was faking too much of the shading with texture painting but I don't have that excuse with the hairy fellow. :dunno:

Anyway I vote Banj. Staying with that lighting issue, once again you've nailed that. Your renders always look like real things in a real place rather than just a representation of something. I love the irregular clumping of the hair. I do think that the longer hairs look more natural that the shorter furrier patches but the density and coverage is fantastic and those extra bits of snow are a brilliant little touch (is that 3D too or a 2D Painty thing added after?)
Also I like the pose too in the way that he's lurching towards us. There's an intimidating sense of both size and mass to his body and that's always something that's hard to capture with CG even in Hollywood movies.
And as promised you get extra points for manual retopology and a bonus for teefies. :)

01 Jan 2022 18:26 #38803 by Digital Dave
Nice images, both. ... And agree about the BG that was mentioned. Maybe just a little slightly seen wooded scene vaguely in there would have helped. But vote goes to Banj.

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

01 Jan 2022 18:30 - 01 Jan 2022 18:30 #38804 by Charlotte
:woohoo: we have a tie! We all know how Banj loves ties 

01 Jan 2022 19:40 #38807 by Valence
But I gave him extra points for the retopology so Banj is winning. :P