April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGAN Sept21 - RAGE - Finals

04 Oct 2021 15:16 #37017 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic CGAN Sept21 - RAGE - Finals
Now I have replaced my deceased monitor and spent most of the day completely moving everything around so that all my cables actually reach the back of the computer, I can now look at these properly and engage in the tough task of casting a vote...

Valence's is probably the most representative of the theme rage as it is clearly depicted in the expression. I Particularly like the handling of the teeth and around the mouth. It does suffer from being the least inventive of the entries.

Atto's does a good job of imitating the style of the artist he was referencing (which I had to look up), the boy is also very well done where a lot of people struggle to paint children and not make them look like small adults.

Charlotte's possibly least represents rage to me but does evoke the kind of poster images that I used to get in fantasy gaming magazines. I know you are currently playing around with reworking those light streaks in another thread, I am not sure about those in this version being there at all, but they might have been better if some had gone behind the body and wings to add some extra depth.

Banj, if you had been less lazy about it those lines on the titles to the right would have been a little more accurate and Valence would never have noticed them. And I wish you had spent some time painting the feet with a bit more detail. It's almost like you had originally intended to do something a lot more abstract but didn't get around to taking it in that direction. I think you need another coffee once you have finished writing all this.

So I am torn between voting for which best captures the theme, and which captures my imagination. I am going to go with...

Charlotte

(Atto misses out purely because I'm not a fan of really ripped/well toned depictions of The Hulk. it was either that or toss a coin )

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

04 Oct 2021 15:32 #37018 by Charlotte
:ohmy:
But I really liked those simple feetsies! Reminded me of that comic.... that I can't recall the name of... Something meadow? :hmm: (And I also thought they were very expressive for being so simple.)

Anyway I'm sneaking out again as chatter in the thread is not allowed until voting is finished :P

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

06 Oct 2021 00:00 #37061 by Atto
Replied by Atto on topic CGAN Sept21 - RAGE - Finals
Man, there's a lot to read through this month - it's great to see the challenge so active!

Charlotte - I love the colours in this - that orange pops so well against the grey of his skin and the eyes with their red iris' and slitty pupils hold some real evil.

Val - I really don't know how you manage to put all those colours in your work and yet keep the image cohesive. I also love the spittle on his teeth and really wish I'd thought of adding that into mine too.

Banj - For me this was the most creative of the entries, I love the light effect of the explosion on those tiles and I also really liked his feet - I don't care if they were simple, the way the toes of that one are curled up not only helps to express the emotion of the piece it also breaks the symmetry of that area.

For those feet alone (and other stuff too, I suppose) I'm voting for...

...Banj!

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.

09 Oct 2021 13:25 #37141 by Charlotte
Right, so we're in the awkward position of a tie between the moderators who usually could cast a deciding vote if they hadn't voted yet, which they have...

Banj and I discussed it and we were going to re-open the vote so you guys could vote again, but just between Banj''s and mine entries. However, if my math and other logical functions are correct, of the four others who voted (and I'm not expecting anyone new to jump in and vote at this point), two voted for Banj and one for me. The only one of you who voted for neither of us is Dave and if he votes for me, we'd just get another tie, whereas if he votes for Banj, we'd have a winner. So Dave, you're voting for Banj, OK? :stare:

And therefore I declare Banj this months winner! :woohoo: Congrats Banj! :D

09 Oct 2021 13:58 #37142 by Banj
I think you may have misunderstood the agreed machinations of the voting system as agreed in the agreement that we agreed on. 

09 Oct 2021 14:24 #37144 by Charlotte
Would you prefer another tie? :dry:

Besides I'm just exercising my powers as a moderator :evil:

09 Oct 2021 14:26 #37145 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic CGAN Sept21 - RAGE - Finals
Congratulations on the tie. Deserved joint winners, I say. :aha:
Or well done to Banj.
Or whoever. :dumb:

09 Oct 2021 14:30 #37147 by Banj
Well, erm, thanks for the votes 

09 Oct 2021 14:37 #37149 by Charlotte

09 Oct 2021 16:46 #37160 by Digital Dave
Hmm.... Double or Nothing for this month? :) lol

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D