March challenge - Enter here!

Deadline for entry:

February challenge WINNER ANNOUNCED!

CGAN Sept21 - RAGE - Finals

01 Sep 2021 09:20 - 01 Sep 2021 09:23 #36343 by Charlotte
Rage :shakefist:

Brief: Despite all his rage he's still just a rat in a cage. Sorry, hamster. Anyway, interpret the title as you wish. No need to include hamsters. 

Deadline: Thursday the 30th of September at midnight (UTC).

This thread is where you post your final entries, WIPs (work in progress) should be posted over here: 
cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...gan-sept21-rage-wips

Challenge rules and guidelines:
cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challenge-rules

Rules in brief:
- All challenge entries must be your own work.
- You should post at least two WIP images that are clearly different from your final entry and each other.
- Your final entry should contain your image (inserted so it shows up full size) and at least two links to your WIP posts on the forum.
- No chatter in the finals thread – if you have questions, post them in the WIP thread or PM an admin.
- Feedback is allowed & encouraged together with the voting and in the WIP thread.
- Deadline is given in UK time (midnight UTC) with a grace period of 5 minutes for getting the post sorted.
- Each member may cast one vote.
- No cheating! Admins may decide to disqualify an entry that does not adhere to the above rules.

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

30 Sep 2021 13:24 #36914 by Banj
Attachments:

30 Sep 2021 14:10 #36917 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic CGAN Sept21 - RAGE - Finals
Glad someone posted to remind me of the deadline. :dumb:

Some Wips.

Attachments:

30 Sep 2021 16:40 #36928 by Atto
Replied by Atto on topic CGAN Sept21 - RAGE - Finals
Glad someone posted to reminded someone to post and remind them of the deadline to remind me of the deadline to post!
Wip 1

Wip 2

And the final - finally....

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.
Attachments:

30 Sep 2021 20:25 #36933 by Charlotte
I kinda rushed this just to finish because I figured if I didn't finish now, I'd probably never finish it. And I upped the contrast (which was indeed too low) and added some silly lights just to add interest because it felt rather dang boring... So...
WIPS:
something with bats - cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...pt21-rage-wips#36470
something with bat wings - cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...pt21-rage-wips#36510
something with a bit of colour - cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...-wips?start=30#36842
FINAL:

Attachments:

01 Oct 2021 11:51 - 01 Oct 2021 11:53 #36943 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic CGAN Sept21 - RAGE - Finals
Voting is now open. Due to technical shenanigans, or gremlins, or... something else, the polls do not currently work so voting will have to be done old school via the comments. Please make it clear in your comment who you are voting for and one of us will toddle in, squint at the screen, rub our eyes a few times, then try and total up the count. Thank you for your cooperation in this time of need (and bugs).

Commence the VOTE!!!!!   contenders are:
  • Banj
  • Valence
  • Atto
  • Charlotte

02 Oct 2021 11:57 #36989 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic CGAN Sept21 - RAGE - Finals
Nice to see a few entries this month even if it does make the choosing much harder. :lol:
And Atto had his own contest going on there for a while. But I do think you picked the right one to go with. nothing sums up rage like the Hulk and the tension you've depicted in his body is excellent. Love the kid's face too. There's such a lovely freshness to the colouring of the face with great expression to the eyes and forehead and this contrasts well to the straining green muscles behind.

The expression in Banj's picture is just as good and made more impressive by the way you've done it through just a pose rather than a face. It somehow gives the mood more power and intensity. And then you give us a different kind of intensity with that fire. The brightness of the flames being consumed by the darkness of the smoke looks really authentic and evokes all the right emotions. The one thing that looks a little awkward is the perspective of the tiles and the way the corner is almost, but not quite, a right angle. I am glad you put the tiles in though because the way the light hits each tile differently is another fantastic bit of detail.

Finally I can't believe Charlotte thought she wouldn't finish. I think this picture is the most polished of all of the entries and with that powerful glow from beneath it instantly hits us with another kind of intensity. The figure is really well done here too. The pose and the geometry of that torso are so well defined, it almost looks like a 3D work in the way that the creature looms outwards and upwards before ending in the uniquely monstrous face that still has a familiar expression despite its beastly non-human form. The real star of this picture is your use of colour, particularly that grayish backlight. The control of the saturation throughout the whole image is wonderfully impressive and gives the figure and environment a really believable depth. I also like those lately-added lights too. Yes, one of them may be aligned a little too close to the central vein of the wing but they do extend the picture upwards to make the viewer feel small and weak before the creature and its rage.

And for my vote... I will indeed go for Charlotte. As I said, it feels like the most polished and professional of the entries and looks like it belongs in one of those fantasy card games like Magic:The Gathering or even Gwent! :P
And I can easily imagine myself being smugly satisfied as I win another game by slamming down my final 10-point Rage card designed by you. :)

So for the purpose of our new "poll" I say... CHARLOTTE! :stare:

02 Oct 2021 14:05 #36990 by Charlotte
It always pays off to wait until Val's given his feedback. It saves so much typing and putting thoughts into well thought out words :D

That said, I don't agree 100% this time (for one, I'm not about to vote for my own entry! :stare:).

Re: Banj's I'm not sure what Val means about there being almost but not quite a right angle... :dumb: It looks like a properly rectangular room corner to me... I was a little confused about the "white" tiles at first until my foggy brain registered that they're not white at all and the whole room is lit up and coloured by the fire. I think it's a very strong piece, conveying a strong sense of emotion. That said I'm not entirely certain it says "rage" to me. I guess when I'm angry I "act out" or "explode" and this is more introverted, like maybe he's burning with shame - or regrets... I do love the way the blue on his clothes is reflected in the bluish shadow under him. The colours and light are really well done.

Atto: I can't believe you basically did three entries while the rest of us did one each. :D Anyway I think this one is amazing and that kid is definitely "angery". I wish I got that much expression into the face of my vampire guy.

And Val: The expression, again, is fantastic. I'm still a bit torn with regards to the red white and blue (and purple) hair. On the one hand I do like how colourful it is, without looking decidedly dyed. On the other, I do have a slight aversion to the "red white and blue" combo, seeing as it seems such an American thing (even though the French flag, and indeed the UK one and many others, are also red white and blue). Anyway, that's merely my own preference.

My vote goes to:
Atto.
That expression is just the ragy-est of them all. :)

The following user(s) said Thank You: Atto

03 Oct 2021 02:07 #36997 by Digital Dave
I concur, it is nice to see multiple entries for this one, but it does indeed make it harder to choose... I like all four of images, and they are all well done. - But to me I think the expression, or should I say, over exaggeration of the emotion itself to say rage was depicted best by Valance's image. You can tell he's in no way happy. :)

Vote goes to Valence... Now get that guy some Decaf already.

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

03 Oct 2021 20:34 #37009 by segujo
Replied by segujo on topic CGAN Sept21 - RAGE - Finals
Quick vote for Banj! :)

I like the creative symbolics; not a straight up angry person (as I started to draw and didnt finish... xD)