Deadline for entry:

February challenge WINNER ANNOUNCED!

CGAN April 2021 - New Master - Final entries

Poll: New Master

Valence
1 33.3%
Charlotte
2 66.7%
Total number of voters: 3 ( Digital Dave, Charlotte, Valence )
Only registered users can participate to this poll
01 Apr 2021 11:29 - 10 May 2021 17:51 #34300 by Banj
New Master

POLL OPEN - Please get your vote in before midnight May 8th :)

Brief: Create a sci-fi/fantasy themed portrait in the style of an old master (e.g. as if painted by Rembrandt, DaVinci, Carravaggio etc.). You are free to pick whichever artist you like to mimic.

Deadline: Friday the 30th of April at midnight (UTC).

This thread is where you post your final entries, WIPs (work in progress) should be posted over here: cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...2021-new-master-wips

Challenge rules and guidelines:
cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challenge-rules/39-challenge-rules

Rules in brief:
- All challenge entries must be your own work.
- You should post at least two WIP images that are clearly different from your final entry and each other.
- Your final entry should contain your image (inserted so it shows up full size) and at least two links to your WIP posts on the forum.
- No chatter in the finals thread – if you have questions, post them in the WIP thread or PM an admin.
- Feedback is allowed & encouraged together with the voting and in the WIP thread.
- Deadline is given in UK time (midnight UTC) with a grace period of 5 minutes for getting the post sorted.
- Each member may cast one vote.
- No cheating! Admins may decide to disqualify an entry that does not adhere to the above rules.

Winner - Charlotte

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

29 Apr 2021 11:26 #34619 by Valence
A day early but nothing more will be done. :stare:

First WIPs.

And Another.

Attachments:

30 Apr 2021 11:07 - 30 Apr 2021 21:34 #34633 by Charlotte
A few hours early, in the hope that I'll manage to get some more important stuff done before the end of the month... :dry:

I'm still not sure anyone can guess which "old master" I'm trying to copy. Maybe he's not old masterish enough... and I still haven't managed to copy his style but I'm going to call it done anyways. I think.

Wips 1-5
cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...ew-master-wips#34451
cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...-wips?start=10#34465
cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...-wips?start=10#34571
cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...-wips?start=10#34578
cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...-wips?start=10#34628

(I forgot to fix her trigger finger.... :shrug:)

With 1.5 hours to go I made some minor changes so here's (hopefully.... second try, this is :yoda:) my final final:

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.
Attachments:

30 Apr 2021 23:56 #34650 by Charlotte
I figured I might as well set up the poll since I happened to be around after the deadline - but I almost set the poll up for the May challenge instead, so maybe it was a bad decision. Anyway, the poll is now up for the best fantasy/sci-fi portrait in the style of an old master :)

May the best man win - and the next best come in second! :)

Voting should remain open until May 8th.

01 May 2021 16:52 #34656 by Valence
To you, my vote goes. To you, Charlotte! You! :stare:

An excellent and recognisable Ripley but more importantly done in a distinct and different style. My picture seems more concerned with reproducing the subject matter rather than style. You may recognise the figure and pose made famous by Vermeer but it still looks like one of my scribbles whereas you have captured much more of John Bauer's "look" with that "muted wash" colour scheme, the grainy, stained textures and, the thing that stood out for me, the way the lighting radiates away from that central glow. Quite a lot of his pictures have that central intensity that fades away to the corners, as if they're lit by a spotlight in a theatrical way and I think you've achieved that in a subtle way with your arrangement of lights and darks.
Well Done. :thumbup:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Charlotte

01 May 2021 17:19 - 01 May 2021 17:20 #34658 by Charlotte
Oh no, it's a tie! :D
Thanks Valence, for your feedback. I would have liked to spend a bit more time on her face but at the same time I do like the "somewhat too pale" effect that happened when I added the colour - and which does remind me a bit of Bauer's fairies and princesses.

But my vote goes to you :P I do agree that your picture is more in your own style (as is mine) but it is still your very own, sci-fi style, girl with a pearl earring. And besides the wonderful texture and lighting of her skin, I like the details of the little sparklies on the earring, and that glowy collar. And while I'm not entirely sure what the meaning is of I Meer, I like how it's.... almost signed Vermeer :) Not that there's any doubt who your chosen old master is!

EDIT: And there's a doble post again... luckily I didn't manage to do a double vote :P

The following user(s) said Thank You: Valence

01 May 2021 18:05 #34662 by Valence
IVMeer is how he signed that particular painting (he used different signatures on different pictures) although I can't quite see where it is on the canvas. Maybe he signed it on the back. :dry:
I just thought it'd make a nice logo for the clothing. :shrug:

03 May 2021 12:57 #34677 by Digital Dave
I'm not very familiar with the Masters mentioned, or many other to be honest... So I also had to read what was said about them just on here. But both images are nice, but sounds like Charlottes followed the brief more? :dunno: Again, both images are well done, but voted for Charlotte. ... But I have to say, I can't stop seeing the front of her gun, as the little guy who bursted out of the chest. :lol:

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

03 May 2021 13:27 #34678 by Charlotte
I wasn't aiming specifically for that little guy, but... I don't care what age it looks like, as long as it's reminiscent of an alien. ;)

10 May 2021 17:48 #34812 by Banj
I just remembered this challenge and realised that today is the 10th. That means the 8th has already happened in this timeline. That means Charlotte wins with two votes to one. Congratulations Charlotte.