Feb 2021 - Tree House - Final entries

Poll: Tree House Poll

Atto
2 66.7%
Valence
No votes 0%
Banj
1 33.3%
Total number of voters: 3 ( Atto, Banj, Valence )
Only registered users can participate to this poll
01 Feb 2021 13:57 - 09 Mar 2021 11:53 #33413 by Banj
Tree House

POLL OPEN UNTIL MARCH 8th :)

Brief: Take the title, interpret it into a masterwork of imaginative artwork.

Deadline: Sunday the 28th of February at midnight (UTC).

This thread is where you post your final entries, WIPs (work in progress) should be posted over here: cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...2021-tree-house-wips

Challenge rules and guidelines:
cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challenge-rules/39-challenge-rules

Rules in brief:
- All challenge entries must be your own work.
- You should post at least two WIP images that are clearly different from your final entry and each other.
- Your final entry should contain your image (inserted so it shows up full size) and at least two links to your WIP posts on the forum.
- No chatter in the finals thread – if you have questions, post them in the WIP thread or PM an admin.
- Feedback is allowed & encouraged together with the voting and in the WIP thread.
- Deadline is given in UK time (midnight UTC) with a grace period of 5 minutes for getting the post sorted.
- Each member may cast one vote.
- No cheating! Admins may decide to disqualify an entry that does not adhere to the above rules.

WINNER - ATTO

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

27 Feb 2021 20:39 #33855 by Atto
Aaaaaand done.
I tried to add a few more elements as you guys and gals kindly suggested but I prefer the simpler palette of just the two tones.
It kind of reminds me of a side scrolling mobile game though I cant remember the name of it just now.

Wip 1

Wip 2

And the final.

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.
Attachments:

28 Feb 2021 14:32 #33857 by Valence
Still a bit too sketchy but February doesn't have enough days. It's a silly little month. :shrug:

Couple of WIPs.

:stare:
Attachments:

28 Feb 2021 16:47 #33858 by Banj
Attachments:

01 Mar 2021 10:42 #33864 by Charlotte
Poll is open! Vote for your favourite home! Or just favourite image in case it's one you don't wish to live in!

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

02 Mar 2021 12:49 #33874 by Valence
Atto: First of all... That's a fantastic tree! Those branches have such a wonderful gnarly character to them and are so far away from the cliched image of A Tree that I came up with. :)
The colour scheme and the glowing light creates a creepy, magical atmosphere that gives you a feel of the whole environment rather than just presenting the tree and I love the inclusion of the previous character. It's allowed you to build on that story that you wanted to tell in the previous pic and you've done it successfully here.

Banj: I was amazed at the complex geometry that you managed to sketch out in your pic. The idea of combining two boats in that way is really imaginative and ambitious and the way you've constructed them is believable and certainly not "unsatisfactory". :stare:
I really like that overlay you used at the end too.Those grainy, and almost veiny, blue/greens add an interesting bleakness to the image that fits well with the environment.

For voting I think I'll go for Atto.
When you mentioned a sidescrolling video game I immediately thought of playing Shadow Of The Beast on the Amiga and then went searching for old screenshots.I quickly discovered that nostalgia is more powerful than memory because they all looked terrible. :lol:
So your picture is much, MUCH better than any game I remember playing and I now have the urge to move the character to the right to see what other wonderful things scroll into view. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Atto

02 Mar 2021 13:56 #33875 by Banj
Both have some nice lighting, Valence's is warm and inviting, while Atto's is dark, brooding and mysterious. I like the storytelling of the environment in Valences with those monument beacon thingamies dotted around. But there's something going on in that tree in Atto's that incites the curiosity. Atto's decision not to add those extra lighting sources etc. that were mentioned in the WIP thread was the right choice, although I would maybe have liked it a bit more with some added moss and vine swampy vegetation.

:hmm: also voting for Atto.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Atto

02 Mar 2021 18:27 #33882 by Atto
I’m really drawn to both pieces to be honest.
I love the textural quality in Banj’s and the light in Vals is awesome once again.
It’s a tough one to call but I think the original design of the two boats just nudges that one ahead.
Great work both, my vote goes to Banj.

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.

09 Mar 2021 11:52 #33976 by Banj
I am fairly confident (approximately 82% certain) that today is the 9th and thus voting has concluded :confident: . The result of this makes Atto this months winner, congratulations :aha:

09 Mar 2021 12:13 #33979 by Charlotte
Oops, I forgot to vote :blush: Not that I've decided on a favourite yet.... I really like all of them!
Congrats Atto! :)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.