October 2020 - Alien Structure - Final entries

Poll: Alien structure

Valence
3 60%
Charlotte
2 40%
bender
No votes 0%
Total number of voters: 5 ( Atto, bender, oaktree, Charlotte, Valence )
Only registered users can participate to this poll
01 Nov 2020 22:36 #31949 by Charlotte
I wasn't going for pulp fiction looks :p But yes the No Man's Sky games definitely influenced my vegetation... and yes, I see now that I could have upped the lighting. I kept feeling the lights were too bright but now I agree they're the opposite!

bender: I agree with what Valence said. It's nice to see new people join in and your image definitely had an impact straight away from the sketching stage. I do, however, also agree that it could be futuristic human as well as alien.

Which means my vote goes to Valence for his alien looking.... condos? I like the composition, the colours, the alienness of the sturctures. Banj might have given you a run for your money though. A shame he didn't finish...

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

01 Nov 2020 22:48 #31951 by Valence

I wasn't going for pulp fiction looks :p

That's OK, I too never plan for the styles I end up with. It's always a surprise when the picture is finished. :lol:

07 Nov 2020 15:41 #32093 by bender
Thanks for the comments on mine guys.

My vote goes for Charlotte. I really like the color balance and tranquility feeling as well as isolation feelings of yours. It really works well with all the elements to make it a balanced image.

Valence, the different structures are really interesting and everything is so polished really cool. The strong color choices, really gives it an alien feeling also, and the amount of detail really adds to the feeling it gives off.

07 Nov 2020 16:14 #32095 by Charlotte
Thank you bender :)

But oh noes, we have a tie! Hopefully we'll get at least one more vote in or Banj will be upset. Banj does not like ties.

Apparently he prefers tutus - live action footage here:

08 Nov 2020 02:12 #32099 by bender
hahaha adorable

09 Nov 2020 02:30 #32114 by Atto
If no one has any objections perhaps I may be of assistance?
(Zoolander quote if you didn’t get it).
I’m going to plumb for Val this month.
I love Benders piece but as has already been said I feel it has the design elements of a human rather than an alien culture. If you’d been around for the Syd Mead challenge you would have definitely got my vote with that painting!
I think the pulp feel of Charlottes work was really eye catching and very nicely done (even if it was unintentional) but I’m afraid on a personal level I’ve never been into that kind of sci fi as it reminds me of some of the dodgy books I stole off my dad as a kid, not that your entry was dodgy in any way, but the books were always a disappointment to me.
I guess it sounds like Val won by default then but that’s not the case. I really enjoy the mystery of that well realised structure and the weird shafts of light that emanate from it. It encourages me to spend time figuring out exactly what is going on in the details and to speculate what a race who live in a structure like this would be like.
Thanks for indulging me everyone and I hope Banj hasn’t voted while I’ve been writing this.

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.

09 Nov 2020 08:17 #32115 by Charlotte
I'm pretty sure Banj was asleep when you wrote that :P

My dad's ex (after my mum) had this bookcase full of pulp fiction... Doc Savage and the like. I borrowed quite a bit from there once I realised it wasn't "boring stuff", but I can't remember finding anything good :)

09 Nov 2020 13:36 #32119 by Banj
I was holding back a vote in case we had a tie again. I'll let Atto's vote be the final decider, which makes Valence this months winner. Congratulations Valence.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Valence