September 2020 - Pandora's Box - Final entries

Poll: September 2020 voting

Charlotte
No votes 0%
Valence
1 25%
Atto
3 75%
Total number of voters: 4 ( oaktree, Valence, Atto, Charlotte )
Only registered users can participate to this poll
01 Sep 2020 13:38 - 09 Oct 2020 12:16 #30856 by Banj
Pandora's Box

Brief: Unleash whatever is contained within along with your creativity.

Deadline: Wednesday the 30th of September at midnight (UTC). Voting closes the end of Thursday the 8th at midnight.

This thread is where you post your final entries, WIPs (work in progress) should be posted over here: cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...0-pandora-s-box-wips

Challenge rules and guidelines:
cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challenge-rules/39-challenge-rules

Rules in brief:
- All challenge entries must be your own work.
- You should post at least two WIP images that are clearly different from your final entry and each other.
- Your final entry should contain your image (inserted so it shows up full size) and at least two links to your WIP posts on the forum.
- No chatter in the finals thread – if you have questions, post them in the WIP thread or PM an admin.
- Feedback is allowed & encouraged together with the voting and in the WIP thread.
- Deadline is given in UK time (midnight GMT) with a grace period of 5 minutes for getting the post sorted.
- Each member may cast one vote.
- No cheating! Admins may decide to disqualify an entry that does not adhere to the above rules.

WINNER - ATTO

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 Sep 2020 19:16 - 21 Sep 2020 19:16 #31144 by Charlotte

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.
Attachments:

30 Sep 2020 14:19 #31264 by Valence
My battery's running low now so this increasingly desperate rush to the deadline will have to end here.

Boxes.

Attachments:

30 Sep 2020 19:52 #31267 by Atto
Ok so here's my final.

Glad we ended up with a three horse race, I thought we weren't going to get any entries at all this month.:eek:

I wonder why we all struggled with this one?

WIP 1

WIP 2

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.
Attachments:

01 Oct 2020 11:02 #31278 by Banj
Voting poll is open and runs until the end of Thursday the 8th. :argh:

01 Oct 2020 11:14 - 01 Oct 2020 11:15 #31282 by Charlotte
:argh:

Edit: My vote on Atto for those superbly creepy blood-red hands and skulls. But I have to say, I did not struggle much with my entry :P ;)

The following user(s) said Thank You: Atto

01 Oct 2020 22:24 #31297 by Atto
Ok, so my votes going to Val this month.

I actually really like your entry Charlotte, its clean, simple and relevant - and who says a monthly challenge entry has to actually take a month to complete?

Vals however incorporates a hand. A very good hand too! Theres lovely whispy effects that are far more effective than my ropey type efforts and the uplighting on the face (which I found nigh on impossible to get a decent reference for) is really beautifully handled. I love the light that is spilling out of the box and that evil little face and red eyes is a great touch. Did I mention there's a hand there too?

Nice one Val!

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.

02 Oct 2020 11:45 #31306 by Valence
Will have to go for Atto. There's a lot of work in that picture and it's work done well too. Another ambitious composition with a great pose and lots of atmospheric drama. The red is very well handled too, I always find it a difficult colour to control especially towards the highlights but the way that light catches the skull at the top is just perfect.

And I wish I had an extra vote for Charlotte too. It may have been a quick one but it's certainly not less impressive because of the speed of work. This would work really well as a professional editorial illustration. I can easily imagine picking up a newspaper or magazine and seeing a topical headline about the coronavirus being a modern Pandora's Box and then having the text of the article below an image like this.
Your linework is always something I'm envious of and the colouring of those lines sits beautifully with the subtle shading. It's clean, simple and effective, and it communicates its message with an efficient clarity.

02 Oct 2020 14:01 #31309 by Charlotte
:dry: and here I thought I'd just done a silly, somewhat humoristic doodle...

02 Oct 2020 18:48 #31313 by Valence
You did... and it was a good one. :)