August 2020 - Cover Artist - Final entries

Poll: August 2020 Voring

Valence
No votes 0%
Hans Nomad
4 66.7%
Atto
2 33.3%
Total number of voters: 6 ( Charlotte, Kodabble, oaktree, Digital Dave, Atto ) See more
Only registered users can participate to this poll
01 Aug 2020 11:38 - 09 Sep 2020 09:54 #30442 by Banj
Cover Artist

Brief: Produce a cover illustration for a classic Science fiction or fantasy novel of your choice (text etc. is not required but you can do that too if you like).

Deadline: Monday the 31st of August at midnight (UTC). Voting ends midnight on the 8th of September.

This thread is where you post your final entries, WIPs (work in progress) should be posted over here: cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...20-cover-artist-wips

Challenge rules and guidelines:
cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challenge-rules/39-challenge-rules

Rules in brief:
- All challenge entries must be your own work.
- You should post at least two WIP images that are clearly different from your final entry and each other.
- Your final entry should contain your image (inserted so it shows up full size) and at least two links to your WIP posts on the forum.
- No chatter in the finals thread – if you have questions, post them in the WIP thread or PM an admin.
- Feedback is allowed & encouraged together with the voting and in the WIP thread.
- Deadline is given in UK time (midnight GMT) with a grace period of 5 minutes for getting the post sorted.
- Each member may cast one vote.
- No cheating! Admins may decide to disqualify an entry that does not adhere to the above rules.

WINNER - HANSNOMAD
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

31 Aug 2020 11:44 #30815 by Valence
This doesn't look anything like I imagined it would but I spent faaar too long failing to draw simple lines. :oops:

Couple of scribbles.

PS. When addIng the link for wips there was a new box that said something about "Class". :dunno:
I had no idea what that meant so I left it blank. :lol:
Attachments:

31 Aug 2020 19:35 #30837 by hansnomad
Was actually able to spend a reasonable amount of time on this month's challenge (as opposed to previous challenges I've attempted).

WIP01: cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...er-artist-wips#30591

WIP02: cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...-wips?start=10#30728

Here is the entry, both with and without text.

Attachments:

31 Aug 2020 22:23 - 31 Aug 2020 22:26 #30840 by Atto
Yup, knew it was a smart idea to go head to head with Hansnomad.:giveup:

Still here it is with the obligatory WIPs

cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...-wips?start=10#30705

cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...-wips?start=10#30789

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.
Attachments:

01 Sep 2020 11:22 #30846 by Banj
Voting now open until midnight on the 8th of September.

01 Sep 2020 20:04 - 01 Sep 2020 20:07 #30862 by Valence
Gonna have to go for Hansnomad.

I do love the composition of Atto's pic. The choice to trap him in that corner is inspired and beautifully captures the oppressive mood of the subject matter, and it's so uncomfortable to look at. Add to that the awesome likeness and you have an amazing image. I think it would actually work best as a large movie poster and if that was the challenge I might indeed give you the vote.

But for a book cover... Well, Hans really seems to know what he's doing when the book cover challenges come around. It wouldn't surprise me if that was his day job. :)
The texture and detail in this is incredible. The pose and expression accurately describe the character and his situation, and the glasses raised on the head adds that extra bit of weariness. The gaze behind him is creepy and intimidating and somehow sits perfectly within that screen, but the thing I like most in the picture is that battered lamp! :woohoo:
All those dings and dents in the shade make it look like some scrapyard version of the Pixar logo and for some reason that seems to be an ideal metaphor for the world of the story, a place where all hopes and dreams are beaten into a different shape in order to conform to the will of authority.

Terrific work. Have a vote.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Atto

01 Sep 2020 21:19 #30863 by Atto
Give him a vote?
Tell you what give him two!

I really love the cute little cartoon type version of your entry Val. The uplight on Frodo’s face is really cool and your line work on the door to Moria is perfectly illuminated.
My vote however has to go to Hans this month for many of the reasons Val has mentioned above. That’s got to be a Pixar ref, surely. I struggled to get the point of the glass ball that sits between his elbows until I read Vals post but now I’m convinced Hans was putting a little joke in there, I mean the lamp is even angled down ‘looking’ at the ball like it’s considering jumping on it.
That’s not the main reason he gets my vote though - it’s that hand and arm caught in the lamp light that does it for me. Not only is the composition absolutely perfect with big brothers eyes just appearing around the top of Winston's head and the slightly broken symmetry of the whole thing, not only are there those lovely touches in the logo on the gin bottle, the battered lamp and the light and security camera, not only is the whole piece rendered beautifully but just that one arm and hand is so perfectly lit, (there’s even veins and creased elbow skin in there) that I would struggle to paint it that well if I had a whole month to concentrate on just that!
Absolutely stunning work Hansnomad. LOVE it!

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.

02 Sep 2020 23:14 #30890 by Digital Dave
Nice works folks. - But Atto, I really like how yours looks like an old photo or Magazine cover. that I could see someone saving.

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D
The following user(s) said Thank You: Atto

08 Sep 2020 04:56 #30961 by Kodabble
Nice entries.
Valence - Like the hobbit he looks cute with the hair over the eyes and the glow from the ring work. One thing though the ring looks more like a bracelet than a ring.
Two 1984’s both great lighting and settings.
Atto – your character is very well done and you captured the feeling of isolation.
Hansnomad – You got my vote because you captured the idea of big brother watching along with other details that set the mood of the depressing environment from what I remembered from the story.
Once again I started with an idea for a HG Wells “War of the Worlds” but never got enthused enough to finish it. I am posting my sketch late in the WIP thread if anyone would care to give comment.
Anyway, good to see some actually finish with well done work

09 Sep 2020 09:52 #30968 by Banj
Voting is now over and we have a winner Hansnomad, congratulations.