Deadline for entry:

February challenge WINNER ANNOUNCED!

June 2020 - Portraits from beyond - Final entries

Poll: June challenge voting

Valence
3 60%
Atto
2 40%
Total number of voters: 5 ( Charlotte, Mindbender, Valence, Atto, oaktree )
Only registered users can participate to this poll
01 Jun 2020 14:26 - 01 Jul 2020 11:24 #29357 by Banj
Portraits from beyond

Brief: Take a pre photography historical figure (e.g. Cleopatra, Boudicca, Gengis Khan) and create a fantasy or science fiction based portrait of them.

Deadline: Midnight on the 30th of June. Voting is open until midnight on the 8th of July.

This thread is where you post your final entries, WIPs (work in progress) should be posted over here: cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...its-from-beyond-wips

Challenge rules and guidelines:
cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challenge-rules/39-challenge-rules

Rules in brief:
- All challenge entries must be your own work.
- You should post at least two WIP images that are clearly different from your final entry and each other.
- Your final entry should contain your image (inserted so it shows up full size) and at least two links to your WIP posts on the forum.
- No chatter in the finals thread – if you have questions, post them in the WIP thread or PM an admin.
- Feedback is allowed & encouraged together with the voting and in the WIP thread.
- Deadline is given in UK time (midnight GMT) with a grace period of 5 minutes for getting the post sorted.
- Each member may cast one vote.
- No cheating! Admins may decide to disqualify an entry that does not adhere to the above rules.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

27 Jun 2020 15:13 #29860 by Valence
Getting in early this month because there isn't much else that I want to do to this.

The name's Newton.
Isaac Newton. License to calculate.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mindbender

28 Jun 2020 23:06 #29893 by Atto
Lived with this for a few days and decided any more elements would muddy the look I wanted.

Thanks for those last few snippets of advice Charlotte and Val.

cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...-wips?start=20#29481

cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...-wips?start=40#29678

And the final

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mindbender

01 Jul 2020 11:26 #29957 by Banj
Voting is open and closes at midnight next Wednesday :aha:

02 Jul 2020 10:13 - 02 Jul 2020 10:30 #29977 by Atto
I voted yesterday but was at work so didn’t have time to give any C&Cso here goes....

Val, TWO hands! TWO! Great to see you tackling your personal nemesis here. The hand holding the gun is particularly well done, as is the foreshortening on that whole arm and gun. Speaking of which I really love the kitsch weapon he’s wielding. The inclusion and design of his badge is also really cool.
The whole idea is great and executed really well, good stuff!

Charlotte, as I said elsewhere it’s a real shame you didn’t get to finish. It was heading in a great direction and I particularly liked the design of the outfit you’d started. Hope to see it finished at some point.

Hans, dude, that looked like the start of something epic! The way you render always looks so realistic. I was looking forward to see how you handled the rest of the portrait with those awesome tricks you always seem to employ with composition and colour. You already had a great sense of both character and icon that was really interesting.

As for mine I now feel I chickened out a little on the rest of the composition. I struggled to get a detailed, balanced drawing down at the start with the additional elements I wanted to include. Rather than resolving it early on I fell into the old trap of thinking “I’ll just add it in later” which never works for me.
Still, maybe next time huh?

02 Jul 2020 11:47 #29989 by Valence
Plus one for Atto. I thought this was a really ambitious idea in scope and storytelling, much more complicated than anything I'd try to do in a monthly challenge, but I think you pulled it off brilliantly.
I love the contrast between the two figures with one being so dynamic while the other has the style of a more formal portrait, yet they both express the different aspects of the same theme and character. And the detail in that collar is amazing! All the work you put into the picture is clearly evident and it all takes the image to another level. :thumbup:

And a deserving mention must go to the nearly-finished.
Both Charlotte's and Hansnomad's pictures were looking very good indeed. Hans had that wonderful texture and lighting with the epic monumental pose while Charlotte had that imaginative design that took familiar, iconic elements and cleverly adapted them into something new and exciting.
Both would have been contenders.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Atto

05 Jul 2020 17:33 #30029 by Mindbender
Almost skipped voting since I think both are really great. But finally decided because of such factors as: Complexity, ambition, drapery, intricacy (that collar), suggested narrative and...mystery. Atto for these reasons get my vote.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Atto

09 Jul 2020 15:23 #30100 by Charlotte
Well, Banj challenged me with giving the diciding vote since we once again have a tie. I hadn't voted yet, because I just couldn't make up my mind - I think both images are inspired and tell a story. But, I have finally decided tht my vote goes to Valence for using a painting of Newton as reference, rather than movie/actor references, like Atto did for Queen Elizabeth I. (Mainly because when I suggested the challenge originally, reconstructing a look that hadn't been caught on camera was the main idea...)

So Congratulations Valence!

*goes back into hiding in her bluestacks*

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

09 Jul 2020 17:22 #30101 by Atto
Errrrrrr.... I’m sorry did I hear that correctly?

Bluestacks? Wtf are bluestacks? Have i missed something in another thread?

Seriously though, congrats Val, another well deserved win!

09 Jul 2020 18:24 #30102 by Charlotte
It's kinda like a heystack in that one can hide in it.... :dry:
It's an android emulator that allows you to play mobile games on a computer... ;)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.