CGAN Feb 2020 - Beast Slayer - Final entries

Poll: Slay the Beast!

Valence
1 25%
Segujo
1 25%
Atto
2 50%
Total number of voters: 4 ( oaktree, segujo, Valence, Atto )
Only registered users can participate to this poll
02 Feb 2020 16:52 - 11 Mar 2020 16:47 #27708 by Banj
Beast Slayer

Brief: Take the title interpret it into some awesome artwork.

Deadline: Midnight on the 29th of February.

VOTING IS OPEN (until ca March 8th)

This is where you post your final entries. WIPs (work in progress) should be posted over here: cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...20-beast-slayer-wips

Challenge rules and guidelines:
cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...s/39-challenge-rules

Rules in brief:
- All challenge entries must be your own work.
- You should post at least two WIP images that are clearly different from your final entry and each other.
- Your final entry should contain your image (inserted so it shows up full size) and at least two links to your WIP posts on the forum.
- No chatter in the finals thread – if you have questions, post them in the WIP thread or PM an admin.
- Feedback is allowed & encouraged together with the voting and in the WIP thread.
- Deadline is given in UK time (midnight GMT) with a grace period of 5 minutes for getting the post sorted.
- Each member may cast one vote.
- No cheating! Admins may decide to disqualify an entry that does not adhere to the above rules.

WINNER: ATTO

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

29 Feb 2020 02:09 #27995 by Valence
Haven't really polished this up to the level I wanted but there ain't enough days in February. Not even in a leap year! :)

1: Beebo!
2: Ludo Smell Bad!

Attachments:

29 Feb 2020 18:29 #28002 by Atto
I'm with you on that one Val, definitely not enough days!

I havent finished the whole page but I managed to resolve the main panel that contains most of the story.
I'll upload the rest to General Scribbles once I'm done.

Here's my "Beast 'Slayer' ''

Wip 1 cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...r-wips?start=0#27781

Wip 2 cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...-wips?start=10#27874

Wip 3 cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...-wips?start=20#27902

Wip 4 cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...-wips?start=30#27928

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.
Attachments:

01 Mar 2020 18:12 #28020 by Charlotte
Great entries!
Voting is open until March 8th or whenever we remember, or someone bops us over the head!

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

02 Mar 2020 11:49 #28028 by Atto
So here we go, another attempt to provide some meaningful critique on your entries.

Val, I’m loving the strong diagonals in your piece and the way they lead the eye around the entire painting. I’m also in awe of your suggestive forms and the way the whole work is lit. The beast is suitably scary, aggressive and mysterious the way it appears from the surrounding environment and disappears off the edge of the page.

Segujo, this somehow reminds me of the cartoons of my childhood, the 80s. There’s some nice humour there and I love his quizzical regard. The background works much better than in the Wip and I really believe that what we’re seeing is a snapshot of a ‘real’ character on some kind of quest. Even with just a bird, a bust and a background you somehow have managed to convince me that a whole story exists outside the frame.

Great work both.

So to the voting.....

I’ve got to vote for Val this month. While Segujos piece reminds me of some great childhood memories I spent more of my early years with friends gathered around a dining room table slaying the beasts of my imagination with my trusty barbarian than I did watching tv.

02 Mar 2020 21:01 #28067 by Valence
I'm gonna go for Atto.

Part of me wanted to pick segujo's just because of the bird. It really adds so much to the picture. It makes us ask questions of what and where the beast may be and also adds some depth to the character of the slayer as he contemplates the little creature. Good work on the background too, the subtle softness does just enough to push it away from the foreground figures without making the effect intrusive.

But Atto did so much work this month that it would be very wrong for me to not pick him. All your ideas were working and developing well and even though the short month left us with only one panel, it still conveys a beast-slaying story with a twist. Great use of reference, lovely tactile texture to the bear head and, most of all, an amazing fake gun! It look so realistically unrealistic. :lol: And the way it bursts out of the panel is so dynamic and instantly grabs your attention.
Well done and have a vote!

Also a deserving mention for hansnomad and that gritty, textured drawing. Exactly the kind of rugged warrior I'd expect a beast-slayer to be.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Atto

04 Mar 2020 22:05 #28098 by segujo
Hi guys! Well drawn! :)

My vote goes to Atto. For fhe humour and the paint execution. :)
I'm a Little grumpy that u dodged doing a background… which I had to fight with for a couple of hours in my drawing… ;)

I like Val too. This is the really Epic Beast slayer in the lot. :)
I specially like the mood and the Environment. It feels like a Deep magical Cave were this monster dwells.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Atto

11 Mar 2020 16:45 #28198 by Banj
Erm, remember the 8th of March? No neither do I, but that was when the voting ended... allegedly. That makes Atto this months winner.

Congratulations Atto.

11 Mar 2020 17:06 #28199 by Atto
Thanks for the votes you lovely people!