Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

June 2019 - The Hanging Tree - Final entries

Poll: June voting

Valence
4 80%
Oaktree
1 20%
Total number of voters: 5 ( yatadragora, Valence, Charlotte, segujo, oaktree )
Only registered users can participate to this poll
03 Jun 2019 16:19 - 01 Jul 2019 14:13 #24961 by Banj
The Hanging Tree

Brief: Interpret the title into artworks of amazingeryness.

Deadline: Midnight on Sunday the 30th of June. Voting open until the end of the 8th of July.

This is where you post your final entries. WIPs (work in progress) should be posted over here: cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...he-hanging-tree-wips

Challenge rules and guidelines:
cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...s/39-challenge-rules

Rules in brief:
  • All challenge entries must be your own work.
  • You should post at least two WIP images that are clearly different from your final entry and each other.
  • Your final entry should contain your image (inserted so it shows up full size) and at least two links to your WIP posts on the forum.
  • No chatter in the finals thread – if you have questions, post them in the WIP thread or PM an admin.
  • Feedback is allowed & encouraged together with the voting and in the WIP thread.
  • Deadline is given in UK time (midnight GMT) with a grace period of 5 minutes for getting the post sorted.
  • Each member may cast one vote.
  • No cheating! Admins may decide to disqualify an entry that does not adhere to the above rules.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

29 Jun 2019 19:30 #25206 by Valence
A day early but I won't be doing anything more tomorrow, so...

One.
Two.
Tree!

And I am half-sick of branches. :)
Attachments:

29 Jun 2019 20:38 #25210 by oaktree
Attachments:

01 Jul 2019 14:14 #25224 by Banj
Voting open. Vote. Now. before the sites melts. :dead:

01 Jul 2019 17:20 #25228 by Charlotte
sites? we're more than one? :blink:

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

02 Jul 2019 09:45 #25236 by segujo
Good work both. :)

I like the dark atmosphere and the angle from valence.
I like the environment and the clear focus/contrast on the tree from oaktree

02 Jul 2019 10:08 #25237 by Charlotte
I have to agree with segujo. Also oak's got some story going and that greenish sky adds a lot to the atmosphere. Still, after having just emptied a storage unit of dad's old paintings (shared among four siblings), Valence reminds me a lot of dad's oak paintings so... it gets a sentimental vote from me :P

(Dad's OK though, in case anyone wonders - he just needed the storage cleared as it cost him money to keep and also the building was falling apart.... there was literally a pile of former ceiling on one of the room floors...and a big hole above.)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

02 Jul 2019 11:28 #25238 by Valence
Well I shall vote for oaktree and I would even if the other entry wasn't me.
There's just so much in the image that I wish I'd put in mine. The clearer storytelling, fantastic composition with the tree reaching in from one side, that figure with the slight lean to the body that suggests approaching movement and the amazing dramatic sky. And the final thing that really impressed me and adds even more power to the image is the length of the noose. I don't know why but it just makes it seem much more ominous to have it dangling so far down like a long pendulum. Great work!

Also that was a lovely early sketch by segujo. I knew it would be tough to finish a crowd of so many figures but it was still very satisfying to look at even at that stage.

30 Jul 2019 08:56 #25506 by oaktree
This challenge appears to have been forgotten which is probably for the best with what I posted. However as it is now well past time for votes to count, I am not going to hold out for any more votes so after a quick check let me say well done Valence on this win. I really liked the perspective and the moody lighting on this, it is so hard to portray trees but you did a great job.

30 Jul 2019 10:57 #25507 by Banj
Sorry about that, thanks for the reminder oaktree. I was about to deal with this the other day but was suddenly struck by a series of technical problems which distracted me from my mission. Those responsible will be hanged from the nearest tree.

It seems that Valence is this months winner. Congratulations.