April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

May 2019 - Egyptian Gods - Final entries

Poll: Who will win the mighty fight between Sobek and Anubis?

corner 1: Segujo & Sobek
4 66.7%
corner 2: Valence & Anubis
2 33.3%
Total number of voters: 6 ( oaktree, Banj, yatadragora, segujo, Valence ) See more
Only registered users can participate to this poll
02 May 2019 14:54 - 10 Jun 2019 10:37 #24592 by Banj
Egyptian Gods (not Gods of Egypt, that's just rubbish)

VOTING IS ON.
Please vote before June 8th!

Brief: Slightly later than intended... Create an illustration suitable for a card from a table top card game (think Magic the Gathering like) featuring an Egyptian God (you don't need to depict any card like icons etc, just the pic). Charlotte can come in and edit this if it wasn't what she meant

Deadline: Midnight on Friday the 31st of May.

This is where you post your final entries, WIPs (work in progress) should be posted over here: cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...9-egyptian-gods-wips

Challenge rules and guidelines:
cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...s/39-challenge-rules

Rules in brief:
  • All challenge entries must be your own work.
  • You should post at least two WIP images that are clearly different from your final entry and each other.
  • Your final entry should contain your image (inserted so it shows up full size) and at least two links to your WIP posts on the forum.
  • No chatter in the finals thread – if you have questions, post them in the WIP thread or PM an admin.
  • Feedback is allowed & encouraged together with the voting and in the WIP thread.
  • Deadline is given in UK time (midnight GMT) with a grace period of 5 minutes for getting the post sorted.
  • Each member may cast one vote.
  • No cheating! Admins may decide to disqualify an entry that does not adhere to the above rules.

WINNER: SEGUJO

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 May 2019 21:02 - 21 May 2019 21:04 #24837 by segujo
Attachments:

31 May 2019 17:20 - 31 May 2019 17:21 #24932 by Valence
I did try to put something more dramatic and interesting in the foreground but every attempt either looked ridiculous or gave the appearance of something pasted in from another picture. :S
So I kept it simple. And bland. And without brachiosaurs camels. :lol:

1: Horus is not....

2: ...the doggie-faced one.

Attachments:

01 Jun 2019 08:27 #24944 by Charlotte
VOTING IS OPEN

I'd have hoped for us to be four this month, but I guess I can't complain since I'm partially responsible for us only being two.

Some feedback from me:
Segujo: Well, I have to really think to find anything I'd like to see changed. Maybe the white cloth could have been a tad darker. It'd have been nice to have some ambient color reflected on to it, but you opted for a nearly greyscale surrounding so I dunno what that colour should have been... I really like the three-dimensional feeling of the character and especially the croc head (and those teeth!). I like the way you went with a green skin tone and how it's paler on the belly. And I love how that crystal on the staff turned out. Looking at the thumbnail, perhaps a bit more contrast between character and background might have been good for display on a small playing card.

Valence: As with Sobek, I think a bit more contrast between character/foreground and the background/sky would be good for a small size image. Other than that I can't find anything to critisize with your image either (except that you thought you were doing Horus!) - Perhaps a bit more disturbance to the sand, the foremost pyramid crumbling, for instance, if Anubis is rising from the depth as the sand around hand and staff suggests. Love the cracks visible on his chest.

My vote this month went to Segujo.

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

01 Jun 2019 09:02 - 01 Jun 2019 09:03 #24945 by yatadragora
if the contestants don't mind or mods don't mind can i fix that if it looks ok as card art thing by taking the images to one of the card making sites and bringing them back to here if that's the intended result being looked for, or sibling/someone else as i wont be home for a few hours.

01 Jun 2019 09:47 #24946 by Charlotte
I dunno if it's needed but if you feel you want to and have time, you could do it.
Personally I just look at the thumbnails under the posts to judge if they're readable.

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

01 Jun 2019 10:10 #24947 by segujo
My vote goes to Valence

The reason is that this really looks as a God.
The size and perspective is epic.

I like the “flow” in the picture. It has a nice harmony in both colors and focus.
Details where there should be details and less busy in areas where there are nothing of interest for the motive.

Well done! :)

01 Jun 2019 10:12 #24948 by segujo
Ok for me if you would care to mod it into a card-frame yatadragora. :)

01 Jun 2019 10:32 #24949 by segujo
And of course.
Thanks for the critics Charlotte! :)

01 Jun 2019 16:26 - 01 Jun 2019 16:43 #24950 by yatadragora
Fingers crossed this works not really done this much it should when clicked on show up at the size of a magic card i hope, as the thumb images are a third of the size of actual card art.

Edit: did Valence's as well to be fair (sorry i didnt wait for permission) if a next time comes up i've been asked to add stuff like this to wip's rather than here so that will be done and i'll just link.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: segujo, Valence