December 2018 - A MARVELous Holiday Season - Final entries

Poll: December Voting

Atto
1 25%
Oaktree
1 25%
Valence
2 50%
Total number of voters: 4 ( Atto, oaktree, Valence, Charlotte )
Only registered users can participate to this poll
01 Dec 2018 13:50 - 10 Jan 2019 14:25 #22956 by Banj
A MARVELous Holiday Season

Brief: In a tribute to the late Stan Lee, it's time to create something Marvel comics related for the end of the year. Excelsior true believers!

Deadline: Entries must be posted by the midnight on Monday the 31st of December. (Please bear in mind that due to the new year voting may be delayed slightly as Charlotte will obviously be drunk). VOTING ENDS ON THE 9TH OF JANUARY.

This is where you post your final entry. WIPs (work in progress) should be posted over here: cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...-holiday-season-wips

Challenge rules and guidelines:
cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...s/39-challenge-rules

Rules in brief:
  • All challenge entries must be your own work.
  • You should post at least two WIP images that are clearly different from your final entry and each other.
  • Your final entry should contain your image (inserted so it shows up full size) and at least two links to your WIP posts on the forum.
  • No chatter in the finals thread – if you have questions, post them in the WIP thread or PM an admin.
  • Feedback is allowed & encouraged together with the voting and in the WIP thread.
  • Deadline is given in UK time (midnight GMT) with a grace period of 5 minutes for getting the post sorted.
  • Each member may cast one vote.
  • No cheating! Admins may decide to disqualify an entry that does not adhere to the above rules.

WINNER - VALENCE

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

31 Dec 2018 03:50 #23242 by Atto
So i didn't want to spend any longer on this. Mostly because I'm getting fed up of overworking things but also because I'm lazy.

Happy New year all and this is dedicated to all those we lost in 2018.

Wip 1 cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...-wips?start=30#23207

Wip 2 cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...-wips?start=30#23225

And the final:

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.
Attachments:

31 Dec 2018 18:34 #23243 by oaktree
Managed to get something finished just to get it in good luck all

wip 1
wip 2
wip 3
Attachments:

31 Dec 2018 21:48 #23244 by Valence
Attachments:

02 Jan 2019 16:01 #23254 by Banj
The poll is open for voterizing the entries. Closes next Wednesday night :aha:

02 Jan 2019 16:45 #23257 by Charlotte
well....
They're all very different and kinda difficult to compare, so, uh...
Technical end result: 1) Atto
Holiday season: 1) Valence
Most amount of work: 1) oaktree
Funniest: 1) oaktree

I guess the old oak gets my vote :)

Atto: In loish's FB group I saw a portrait posted where people suggested the artist use a contrasting colour in the background. After seeing that and now seeing your Stan, I'm thinking that might've been an idea for you too. Maybe a very subdued blue-greenish colour? Otherwise it's really great, with the light, the wrinkles, the likeness and the shades :)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

02 Jan 2019 22:24 #23275 by Valence
I'm gonna go for Atto this month.

Credit and Kudos to oaktree though, for that humungous amount of work. Putting together an entire story, expressing it across all those dynamic panels and then combining them into a successful single composition is impressive ambitious, and imaginative. After all your recent improvements it seems like you're on a roll. Don't let your wacom stop that momentum.

But I'm still a sucker for a good portrait, and Atto's pic is a damn good portrait. That is definitely "The Man" himself. Recognisable in likeness, expression and presence.
It has solidity of form, variety in texture and edge, along with a credibility and poignancy as he gazes off into that bright distant light that we can't directly see. And what a terrific ear too! I also have a weakness for good ears and this has the perfect amount of warmth and specularity.
So Portrait+Ear=My Vote.
Yes, I know that's not the most famous equation you can think of but it's the most relevant at the moment. :lol:

Well Done!

03 Jan 2019 19:04 #23282 by oaktree
So for me it was hard to make a vote The portrait of the great man was defiantly who it was supposed to be really well produce Atto but for me I could not see the end of year link as requested in the challenge brief. So my vote goes to Valence for the Hulk another of my favorite characters.
I now have a new wacom so should be OK for Jan.

09 Jan 2019 00:14 - 09 Jan 2019 00:16 #23359 by Atto
Just realised I hadn't voted - sorry all!

This month I really struggled to pick a winner.
I've gone for Val in the end because I think his final result was a lot more finished than Oaks. I'd never vote for the other guy as I know for a fact he only spent about 6 hours on it.....in a month! A MONTH! I mean come ON!
Saying that I think Oak should deserve a special mention for the sheer amount of work he put in - it was a monthly challenge and it would take me about 3 months just to get the idea and choose a suitable layout. Excellent stuff Oak - long may you continue with this kind of commitment.

So well done Val (I'm sure you put in a load of work in too!)

Oh yeah thanks for the tip Charlotte I'm gonna try that at some point.

Now onto that Random WIP........

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.

09 Jan 2019 14:57 - 10 Jan 2019 14:23 #23363 by Banj
It does appear that voting is over (even though the polls not closing properly suggests otherwise). And it does appear that Valence has won this challenge. And it appears that congratulations are in order.

Congratulations Valence.

[edit] Wait a minute... I'm early by several whole hours. There could be a massive influx of votes suddenly appear. Ignore me, pretend you didn't see anything and nothing actually happened. :paranoid:

[another edit] So ignore my previous edit, Valence is actually this months winner like I said before. See, I know what I'm dong :oops: