Deadline for entry:

February challenge WINNER ANNOUNCED!

CGAN Sept 18 - Queen of Soul(s) - Finals

Poll: September Voting

Valence
4 66.7%
Banj
2 33.3%
Total number of voters: 6 ( Charlotte, microscopi, oaktree, Atto, Valence ) See more
Only registered users can participate to this poll
01 Sep 2018 08:13 - 10 Oct 2018 10:51 #22032 by Charlotte
Queen of Soul(s)

Brief: A chance to pay homage to the Queen of Soul, Aretha Franklin, who recently passed away, or to ignore music and deal with a completely different kind of soul(s). Perhaps it's time to practice for Halloween? Or combine the two, if you can!

Deadline: Entries must be posted by midnight (GMT) on Sunday, September 30th. VOTING OPEN UNTIL 8th of October

This is where you post your final entries. Works in Progress should be posted in the WiP thread over here: cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...t-18-queen-of-soul-s

Challenge rules and guidelines:
cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...s/39-challenge-rules

Rules in brief:
All challenge entries must be your own work.
You should post at least two WIP images that are clearly different from your final entry and each other.
Your final entry should contain your image (inserted so it shows up full size) and at least two links to your WIP posts on the forum.
No chatter in the finals thread – if you have questions, post them in the WIP thread or PM an admin.
Feedback is allowed & encouraged together with the voting and in the WIP thread.
Deadline is given in UK time (midnight GMT) with a grace period of 5 minutes for getting the post sorted.
Each member may cast one vote
No cheating! Admins may decide to disqualify an entry that does not adhere to the above rules.

WINNER: VALENCE

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

30 Sep 2018 13:37 #22330 by Valence
1: First Things.

2: And Another Thing.

Then the final thing....

And now we wait for Banj's mojo! :)
Attachments:

30 Sep 2018 14:05 #22331 by Banj
Well I have to post this as is even though I want to fix a load of things. It seems that every piece of technology I possess has decided to commit sudoku today and make my life a misery. Expecting the internet to just vanish as I click the submit button on this post :eyeroll:

WIPS:
  1. cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...-wips?start=10#22278
  2. cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...-wips?start=10#22284
  3. cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...-wips?start=10#22290
  4. cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...-wips?start=20#22293
  5. cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...-wips?start=20#22312

Attachments:

01 Oct 2018 13:03 #22342 by Banj
Voting is open until the 8th of October. :aha:

p.s. I voted for valence.

01 Oct 2018 13:44 #22343 by Valence

p.s. I voted for valence.

And I didn't. :P

Even if you wanted to do more to the pic it's still worthy of my vote as it is.
I love the texture of the background, it looks really tactile but still manages to recede away from the equally well-textured feathery bird.
The colour scheme works a treat and the drapery has a nice fluidic style as it flows over and around her body. And I like how you've continued that liquid feel into my favourite part of the pic: where that touch of red/pink bleeds upward into the purple like blood diffusing in turbulent water.
I like, I vote.

+1 for Banj!

02 Oct 2018 16:05 #22358 by Atto
Hey all!
I so wanted to enter this one but things have been a bit rough here recently (more about that in my sketchbook/wip thread: warning it may be a bit upsetting).But I've been lurking around and watching everyone's work with interest though!

I'm not up to doing a whole crit thing right now but suffice to say they're both great entries.

My vote this month went to Val.

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.

06 Oct 2018 21:18 #22437 by microscopi
Hey guys, been awhile since I posted, i'm doing way better now. Had a big lifestyle change but i'm still making art, just very very slowly! Ahem..

Ok back to the subject at hand, right, my vote goes to Banj, she looks awesome, really love the design and cohesiveness of the character with crow and fabric, really flows together well. Love all the details you put into the background and fabric, the line weight really holds it together. The addition of the crow, it looks really good all by itself and just enhances the character well. Maybe making the boob bigger and just having one, only thing that stood out. Great image!

Val I really love how many characters you came up with, so much detail. The symbolism of the souls, you can tell where the story is going right away, but all the detail you added to the souls is awesome, I almost wish they took center stage! I was thinking if you made your character in shadow and just have her eyes glowing maybe with flames, it would make it seem more evil! Just thinking out loud! But really love the attention you put into your characters, very cool.

07 Oct 2018 12:26 #22438 by Charlotte
:argh:
I hate voting. We should stop having challenges :P

I love the creamy colours and flowing hair on Banj's but... I'll vote for Valence because his says "queen" and "souls" a bit more clearly... For the record I think "Banj's second boob" is actually her arm, but I wish it was somewhat clearer because when the brain reads it as a boob the whole pose looks a bit off. And for Valence, I'd have given her a totally different "do" but other than that it's nicely creepy in both subject and colouring/texture. :)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

10 Oct 2018 10:50 #22451 by Banj
I believe that voting has finished and that means Valence is this months winner. Congratulations Valence.

10 Oct 2018 13:22 #22452 by Valence
Too much winning! :woohoo:

And it's great to see microscopi around here again. :)
Glad to hear you're doing better now. Hope it stays that way.