Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGAN June 2018 - Elemental - Final entries

Poll: June Voting

Valence
3 60%
Atto
2 40%
Total number of voters: 5 ( Banj, Charlotte, oaktree, Atto, Valence )
Only registered users can participate to this poll
01 Jun 2018 13:03 - 09 Jul 2018 13:20 #21299 by Banj
Elemental

Brief: Taken from the suggestions thread posted by octoberstormxx . Create a representation of an element (Earth, Wind, Fire, or Water).

Deadline: Entries must be posted by midnight (GMT) on Saturday the 30th of June. VOTING IS OPEN UNTIL 8TH OF JULY

This is where you post your final entries. Works in progress should be posted in the thread over here: cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...-2018-elemental-wips

Challenge rules and guidelines:
cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...s/39-challenge-rules

Rules in brief:
All challenge entries must be your own work.
You should post at least two WIP images that are clearly different from your final entry and each other.
Your final entry should contain your image (inserted so it shows up full size) and at least two links to your WIP posts on the forum.
No chatter in the finals thread – if you have questions, post them in the WIP thread or PM an admin.
Feedback is allowed & encouraged together with the voting and in the WIP thread.
Deadline is given in UK time (midnight GMT) with a grace period of 5 minutes for getting the post sorted.
Each member may cast one vote
No cheating! Admins may decide to disqualify an entry that does not adhere to the above rules.

WINNER: VALENCE (See entry below) .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

30 Jun 2018 15:00 #21531 by Valence
A quick thing to make up the numbers.
Hopefully "the numbers" will be greater than one! :P

Three Lovely Wips.

If I had the chance I'd probably like to add a bit more detail and maybe a little foreground figure for scale but half-time is almost over. :)

Attachments:

30 Jun 2018 21:34 - 30 Jun 2018 21:36 #21537 by Atto
Now there's a surprise......I've ran out of time - Again!
So just to make up the numbers - to 2 so far,
My final for this month....

Wip 1 cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...s?limitstart=0#21343

Wip 2 cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...s?limitstart=0#21350

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.
Attachments:

30 Jun 2018 22:50 #21538 by Charlotte
wasn't there just a couple of days left? :?

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

01 Jul 2018 00:40 #21539 by Valence

wasn't there just a couple of days left? :?

A couple of days ago, yes. :)

It's now Sunday and it's July!

01 Jul 2018 17:48 #21543 by Banj
Voting is open and closes on the 8th of July.

01 Jul 2018 23:53 #21551 by Valence
I vote for the other guy.
I like the composition you had there, Atto, with all those layered, implied triangles and it's a good, convincing pose from the fiery figure.
The whole image has a much better narrative context than mine and you managed to get that sense of scale by including the foreground character (another thing I failed to do.) Great use of light too!
It ticks all the right boxes for the brief so I shall tick your box for the vote.

And Madi, I do like the varied colours in your wip. As soon as I think of "Ice" I just reach for uber-boring cyans but you've got all kinds of purples and pinks going on there and it still looks coherent and lively.

02 Jul 2018 12:08 #21552 by Atto
I vote for the other guy too, which rounds things up nicely!
Such a competent image in such a short space of time Val. The textures on the surrounding country side are very nicely done and we get a great sense that your elemental is part of and belongs in his setting.
I also love the way the back light silhouettes the figure in parts and bleeds round it in others.

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.

06 Jul 2018 22:22 #21596 by Charlotte
OK, I'm gonna have to vote for one or other of the guys, and gaaaaah... I haven't been able to make my mind up for days.

Val, I really like the landscape and atmosphere. I think your stone elemental suffers from the same thing some of your human characters do, which is slightly clunky anatomy. For a stone giant that might work, of course, but I still feel there are areas to improve. I love the texture of the shrubby grassy landscape, but the trees (including those on the elemental's back) seem to be of a different scale from the grass tussocks (if that's what they are). Maybe the trees are small... :hmm:

Atto, initially I was sure I was going to vote for this, due to the strong story elements and the stark colours. I still like those things about yours, but Val's cool greens and blues have been winning me over, which is why I cannot make my mind up! Both images have a bit further to go so I can find no help there. That said, besides polish the only thing that I'm not convinced by, is the pose of your fire elemental. It looks rather more erotic than destructive... :dry:

So uhm, seeing as I had slightly less feedback for Atto, I think he might get my vote this time. Unless I change my mind on the way to the vote button....

06 Jul 2018 22:24 #21597 by Charlotte
*looks at poll results* :eek: Someone else better vote before the poll is over - tomorrow!