April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGAN Nov 2017 - Victorian Heroes - Final entries

Poll: Victorian Heroes Voting (was ended 2017-12-08 00:00:00)

cgmythology
No votes 0%
Charlotte
2 50%
Valence
2 50%
Total number of voters: 4 ( Digital Dave, kazky, Valence, Charlotte )
Only registered users can participate to this poll
01 Nov 2017 11:59 - 08 Dec 2017 20:31 #18992 by Banj
Victorian Heroes

Brief: This challenge is inspired by these 17th century portraits of contemporary superheroes www.cbsnews.com/pictures/comic-superhero...ury-style-portraits/

Take a well known hero/heroine from film, TV, comics, and reinvent them in a portrait as they would appear in the Victorian era.

Deadline: Thursday 30th of November at midnight GMT VOTING OPEN UNTIL FRIDAY 8TH OF DECEMBER

This is where you post your final entries. WIPs should be posted in the thread over here: cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...ictorian-heroes-wips

Challenge rules and guidelines: cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challenge-rules

Rules in brief:
  • All challenge entries must be your own work.
  • You should post at least two WIP images that are clearly different from your final entry and each other.
  • Your final entry should contain your image (inserted so it shows up full size) and at least two links to your WIP posts on the forum.
  • No chatter in the finals thread – if you have questions, post them in the WIP thread or PM an admin.
  • Feedback is allowed & encouraged together with the voting and in the WIP thread.
  • Deadline is given in UK time (midnight GMT) with a grace period of 5 minutes for getting the post sorted.
  • Each member may cast one vote
  • No cheating! Admins may decide to disqualify an entry that does not adhere to the above rules.

WINNER - Charlotte

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

26 Nov 2017 19:41 #19307 by cgmythology
This is my finished entry for the challenge, 'Lady Leia'. It's a combination of Princess Leia from Star Wars as well as the Victorian theme. I love both themes so entering the challenge was a no-braineer for this. Had a blast illustrating this image, and I hope you enjoy as well :)

Attachments:

28 Nov 2017 21:27 #19365 by Charlotte
I thiiiiink I'm gonna call this done. Even if I so far keep finding little things to fuss over...

I was thinking of making a mock news paper with a black and white "photo" and a headline along the lines of "local youth stakes her future in the cemetary" but I'm too tired to figure out wether that's a funny enough headline or if I need something else....

so here'tis:

WIPS
cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...-wips?start=10#19050
cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...-wips?start=10#19066
cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...-wips?start=10#19080
cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...-wips?start=30#19167
cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...-wips?start=40#19228
cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...-wips?start=40#19230

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.
Attachments:

28 Nov 2017 21:52 #19366 by Valence
I'm still a week away from getting Patrick Stewart and his chair done so I spent the last day cleaning up my first idea and getting the paper to look ... papery! I'll dump the other one in my sketchbook thread if I ever get those hands right.

1: A Triple Of Scribbles.
2: A Predictably Big Head (and short legs!)
3: Perspective Fixes

Aaand Oldify...

Good Luck, Everyone!
Attachments:

01 Dec 2017 09:38 #19390 by Banj
Voting is open until Friday the 8th of December when the winner will be announcerfied.

cgmythhology, you need to add links to your WIPs with your entry or risk kazky slapping you about the face repeatedly with a glove and asking for satisfaction. She uses an iron glove.

02 Dec 2017 11:36 #19435 by Charlotte
Some feedback from me...

CG - colourful and decorative as always. I love the little leaves you added to the foreground. I still get more of a medieval vibe than a victorian one, but I like how that mixes with the sci-fi bits like the deathstar in the background. Considering how good you are with vibrant colours I'm a little surprised that the gold and ruby jewellery is still a bit dull. I think they would have benefitted from higher contrast. Also you did not add wip links. Shame, shame, shame. And since kaz didn't slap you with her iron glove (yet) I guess you'll just have to walk naked through King's Landing.

Val - You almost managed two pieces for this challenge and I like both of them. The idea and the old news paper look of your entry is really nice, though I rather liked the portrait of Xavier too. Perhaps you can fix up the proportions and finish that too, some time :) Both pieces followed the brief very well. And both have some anatomy issues :P Still, my vote goes to you for the "Ironman Contraption" (you even get extra points for using the word contraption).

I could have voted either one, really. And I'd probably would have voted for CG's if only the shinies had been more convincingly shiny.

The following user(s) said Thank You: cgmythology

02 Dec 2017 14:59 #19443 by Valence
Cgmythology:
I always love it when you pop into a challenge and give us a lesson in painting speed. And you also give us a lesson in controlling bold, saturated colours.
I like the pose you chose for this. The profile makes for a very strong and stylish composition, allowing you to break the symmetry while still keeping the figure central and it's also nice the way you used the background tree to mirror her silhouette to frame the space she's in.
I do think the birds look a little too orderly on the left. Giving them a more random angle and scattering the positions would make it look a little more natural. But that's a minor thing, the important part of the pic is the character. The likeness is spot on and those familiar colours of your style are as vibrant and eye-catching as ever. Your handling of them always make your pictures look "big" as if they should be printed out at full poster size and stuck on an equally big wall. :)

Charlotte:
Just like CGMythology's Leia, you've really nailed (or should that be "staked"?) the character in your pic. The likeness, pose, expression and attitude are all recognisable and appealing. Also the linework was beautifully done, but maybe that's my envy talking considering how that's the sort of thing that I just can't do. :lol:
The colour choices are good, with those warmer pinks separating the figure from the muted, misty graveyard, and the shading cuts describe the form very well, especially the folds on that sleeve.
I think your newspaper headline gag was a good one and would have worked fine, but the picture is good enough to not need any gimmick to sell it. You know, like old paper stains and creases that some desperate people use to make their paintings appear better than they are. :blush: :lol:

And so the vote:
I'm gonna lean to Charlotte this month. I liked the pic right from the start and liked it more as it got better and better. I've seen professionally published Buffy comics that didn't look half as good as this. And I'm a sucker for a good cast shadow. :)

Ps: And in other Patrick Stewart related news. He does now have hands and the wheels are on the chair. Should be finished after polishing up some shading at the start of next week.

Maybe. ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Charlotte, cgmythology

04 Dec 2017 20:01 #19452 by Charlotte
wouldn't it be nice if more people voted :unsure:

04 Dec 2017 21:05 #19453 by Valence
But then we wouldn't have any of those lovely ties that Banj enjoys so much. :)

05 Dec 2017 07:37 #19455 by Charlotte
we could have a three-way tie if one or four more people voted :D