April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Sept 2017 - Back to the Drawing Board - Final entries

Poll: September Voting (was ended 2017-10-09 00:00:00)

phoenixdee
No votes 0%
Charlotte
1 50%
segujo
1 50%
Total number of voters: 2 ( segujo, Valence )
Only registered users can participate to this poll
01 Sep 2017 17:32 - 09 Oct 2017 12:06 #17916 by Banj
Back to the Drawing Board

Brief: This months challenge comes from a suggestion by octoberstormxx posted in the challenge suggestions thread: cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/current-...iefs?start=130#17147 Hit rewind and redo (not rework, so start from scratch) an old drawing. When finished, post them side by side. See how your art has developed and changed over time!

Deadline: September 30th at midnight GMT VOTING CLOSES 9TH OCTOBER

This is where you post your Final Entries. Works In Progress should be posted in the thread over here: cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...e-drawing-board-wips

Challenge rules and guidelines:
challenge rules

Rules in brief:
  • All challenge entries must be your own work.
  • You should post at least two WIP images that are clearly different from your final entry and each other.
  • Your final entry should contain your image (inserted so it shows up full size) and at least two links to your WIP posts on the forum.
  • No chatter in the finals thread – if you have questions, post them in the WIP thread or PM an admin.
  • Feedback is allowed & encouraged together with the voting and in the WIP thread.
  • Deadline is given in UK time (midnight GMT) with a grace period of 5 minutes for getting the post sorted.
  • Each member may cast one vote
  • No cheating! Admins may decide to disqualify an entry that does not adhere to the above rules.

WINNER - SEGUJO:

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

24 Sep 2017 11:57 - 24 Sep 2017 12:03 #18258 by phoenixdee
Hi All,

This has been a great challenge. I'm going to away for two weeks and wont have time to work on this any more. I know I will never been a fabulous artist and lost my creative mojo for awhile. So this was a great chance to find it again.

WIP1

WIP2

Attachments:

30 Sep 2017 11:26 #18340 by Charlotte
I'm sure I'll want to change a dozen things in a few seconds, but since today's the deadline I figure I should post while I remember...

Original, unfinished, drawing from the 90-ies

WIP 1-2

WIP 3

WIP 4

WIP 5

And Final:

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.
Attachments:

30 Sep 2017 20:07 #18351 by segujo

Rework of the first Picture I ever tried to take to finish.
It was a forum challenge to draw a Power Puff Gladiator.

WIP 1WIP 1

WIP 2 & 3WIP 2

WIP 4
Attachments:

02 Oct 2017 09:15 #18362 by Banj
It's October! The voting poll is open until the 9th. :rock:

03 Oct 2017 14:05 #18413 by Valence
Is it that time already? Well, yes. Yes it is apparently, so here goes.

Charlotte:
As you accurately pointed out, EVERYBODY likes Art Nouveau when it's done right. And you've certainly done it right here.
The linework is lovely and smooth, and provides a beautiful flow throughout the picture that makes it easy to look at and enjoy, and in this area (and others, but even more so here) it easily surpasses the previous picture.
Also the little creature is so intricate in all its detailed design especially the layered skin that hangs down beneath the chin.
Finally the colours have a brilliant luminosity to them giving that kind of "stained-glass window" effect that makes this particular style so appealing.

Phoenixdee:
It was really interesting to finally see your old pic, especially how you teased us and didn't reveal it until the end. :lol: And the thing that stands out to me is how the two pictures have a completely different mood. Even though the second one has much more detail, technical rendering and greater anatomical accuracy, I still find that they work well together as a pair, like a diptych. It's like the character is emerging from a different time in her life and each image makes me appreciate the other one, like a complementary balance between the memories of the past and hopes for the future.

Segujo:
I liked this right from the start. The first sketches had a natural authenticity to the pose which showed a greater skill and understanding than that displayed in the older pic. And as the image developed I found myself liking the differences from that original painting. That one was a typical badass poster girl, posing for the viewer, while the second one showed someone that looked like an actual real person in thought and contemplation.
I'm a bit undecided about the background. I suspect that was a deadline issue and given time you would have added more detail there. It is quite a big contrast from the amazing crisp edges of the figure and the clean definition of those skin tones (also that little line of shadow beneath the bottom edge of the skirt is terrific,) but I suppose the softer distant rocks also act as a way to focus your attention on the character too.
Either way, it's a fine improvement on the original.

mrmic:
Nice to see a new face diving into a challenge. Sorry you didn't get the chance to develop your idea further but I enjoyed seeing your older picture anyway.
I think it's a very clever design, I do like those stylized silhouettes as logos. And that kind of thing wouldn't look out of place in the Inktober challenge. Feel free to dive in there too. :)

Voting time.

This is a really tough one. Do I vote on the new picture? Or its connection to the old? And what criteria do you judge that by?
I think Charlotte's shows the greatest technical improvement. Phoenixdee's manages to cleverly complement the original in a way that transcends both individual images. And Segujo's pic shows an improvement of psychological depth and artistic maturity.
I could easily select a criterion where each one is the winner so picking one seems a little arbitrary and unfair.
But who said life is fair! :evil:

Gonna go with Segujo.
It was my gut feeling from the start.
(Apologies to all the others.)

03 Oct 2017 19:39 #18419 by segujo
I Think that it's superclear who the Winner this month should be. Charlottes piece is really crisp and breaths professionalism. The dragon creature is awesome!
She gets my vote!

Phoenixdee. Good work and nice progress. The old one is nice but so many details are blurred away. It is still a nice Picture with pleasing colors. The new one has much more details i Believe you took much more time to look at refernces and really study what you where drawing... hence much more details.
In my opinion maybe it should have had the Little darker tone from the first one...?

A big hand to Valence for the engaged critics! U are right in both assumptions of the background... 1) It is blurred away not to take focus and 2) a work of haste... :P Nothing I'm proud of...
Thank you!

09 Oct 2017 11:30 #18521 by Charlotte
Oh oops. I vote Segujo but I'm too late! :blush:

09 Oct 2017 11:55 #18522 by Banj
I guess we'll take your vote as a decider and declare segujo this months winner then (I also forgot). Congratulations segujo.

09 Oct 2017 12:04 #18523 by Charlotte