April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGAN May 2017 - The First Vampire

Poll: 1st Vampire vote (was ended 2017-06-09 00:00:00)

Atto
2 33.3%
Banj
2 33.3%
Valence
2 33.3%
Total number of voters: 6 ( Charlotte, Rickshaw, oaktree, Banj, Atto ) See more
Only registered users can participate to this poll
01 May 2017 19:49 - 12 Jun 2017 18:03 #15989 by Charlotte
The First Vampire
Winning Entry, after a poll that was almost as terrifying as the challenge subject, this scary thing from Valence!

Congrats to Valence! You'll need a bigger house for all your challenge ribbons :lol:

Brief: I hope a vampire will be to everyone's taste... (or is that a distasteful joke?) Who was the first vampire? Count Dracula, Vlad Tepes, Lilith? Did they become a vampire through black magic, evolution or a curse? Try to depict the first of their kind!

Deadline: Wednesday the 31st of May at Midnight GMT.
Voting Over

This is where you post your final entries, WIPs should be posted over here:
cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...e-first-vampire-wips

Challenge rules and guidelines:
cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...s/39-challenge-rules

Rules in brief:
  • All challenge entries must be your own work.
  • You should post at least two WIP images that are clearly different from your final entry and each other.
  • Your final entry should contain your image (inserted so it shows up full size) and at least two links to your WIP posts on the forum.
  • No chatter in the finals thread – if you have questions, post them in the WIP thread or PM an admin.
  • Feedback is allowed & encouraged together with the voting and in the WIP thread.
  • Deadline is given in UK time (midnight GMT) with a grace period of 5 minutes for getting the post sorted.
  • Each member may cast one vote
  • No cheating! Admins may decide to disqualify an entry that does not adhere to the above rules.

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

29 May 2017 23:22 - 29 May 2017 23:24 #16378 by Atto
A bit early but work commitments are killing me right now.
As always I would have loved to spend (a great deal) more time on this but hey-ho.
False start
Wip 1
Wip 2

And the final.....for now......

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.
Attachments:

31 May 2017 20:29 #16398 by Valence
So much for that race to the deadline! But I don't mind stumbling in third.

1: Wrong!
2: Two Wrongs Don't Make A Right.
3: Slightly Less Wrong.
4: Skinny Details.
5: Feel The Collar For A Cheap Frill.

And after too many wips ... a final, of sorts.

Good Luck, all.
Attachments:

02 Jun 2017 10:31 #16404 by Banj
Voting is now open until Friday the 9th.

02 Jun 2017 20:04 #16408 by Valence
Atto:
I think you put us all to shame with the amount of work you put in this month. Your picture, with all its different figures, is incredibly ambitious and it wasn't even your only idea for the challenge!
The composition is great and all the characters are very well arranged. I particularly like the contrast between the two women, with one cowering with subservience and the other challenging us with that glance over the shoulder.
The vampire character is easily recognisable through the position, relationship and expression, and the style fulfils all of your expectations of what a vampire should be like.
I wish the deadline hadn't arrived so quick so that maybe you could have blended the skin of the girl on the left a little more. The hard edges around the shoulder look a bit blotchy at first glance. The textures everywhere else are very good though, especially all the different fabrics and their distinctive folds. They all look like they have a different feel and also a different mass, something that's often difficult to depict.

Banj:
When seeing the title of this challenge I (and probably everyone else) had a clear idea of what kind of pictures would probably appear in the finals thread. And this wasn't one of them. :)
It's a brilliantly original design for what a vampire monster could (and perhaps should) look like and it's refreshing to see someone eschew all the traditional, familiar tropes to produce something completely unique.
With the human body, the fish-like head, the monstrous teeth, a lion's mane and those creepy long hands at the end of the furry arms, the whole creature looks like some mythological chimera from all our nightmares and combining all those disparate elements into a single, coherent entity requires a substantial amount of skill and imagination.
With the deadline fast approaching I think the choices about colour scheme and rendering style were well made and give the pic a dark, comic book feel. Also those little diagonal strokes highlighting the pools of blood are very effective at describing the scene without the need to overpower the picture with saturated reds.

And a whinge at my own picture:
I really don't like the legs in mine and with hindsight I think I would have been better off painting the full body and then cropping instead of repeatedly extending the canvas downwards and drawing in a bit more of the body, then a bit more, then a bit more... etc. As a result the muscle anatomy there looks very confused indeed.
Memo to self: Do better! Or else.

And voting…
I do feel very envious of Banj's imagination and originality but I think it's very hard to go against all the hard work Atto put in this month and I think all that ambition deserves some reward.

So… Atto.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Atto

02 Jun 2017 23:19 #16413 by Atto
Val - I think you're being a little over critical with your entry this month. The skin texture and colour is fantastic and very appropriate to the character. The translucent effect to the frill is excellent and it's eyes have a depth to them that I love.
Excellent lighting from above and look! You even gave us hands!!

Banj - Such a cool design, loving the overlarge hands, big fish lips and all those teeth. A lovely sense of light and form and the structure to the skull, while exaggerated and deformed still comes across as believable, something I utterly fail at when attempting something similar.

My vote this month goes to Val, even if we did only get three fingers :?

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.

05 Jun 2017 12:36 #16434 by Banj
My vote is torn like the throat of whoever met any of the entries. I think all three of us were short on time to finish properly which makes it hard to decide.

I think Atto's is the most ambitious with multiple characters and props etc. so I think it suffers most from not being completed and I would like to see it get some more time put into it.

Valence's is probably closer to what I had in mind and tried to produce with a primitive creature. I think it comes across as more finished than the others. I like the lighting around the head and I like that collar frill thingy.

So I have finally gone for Valence.

05 Jun 2017 17:57 #16435 by Charlotte
Not so much feedback as rambling thoughts...

Atto:
As everyone has stated, it's clearly the most ambitious piece with all it's characters. And I agee with others it would be nice to see it more finished. I still can't shake the idea that it's Lady Gaga up there (and doesn't she play a vampire in American Horror Story or something like that? Maybe I completely misunderstood :P)

Anyhow, I like the difference in skin colour between the vampire and her uhm... food providers? As usual the latter could have benefitted from a bit more of satured warm tones, though ;) Anyhow their skin tones makes me wonder why the slaves/carriers are blue skinned... I wish there'd been some hint to that. Oh and one of them seem to be melting? Again an interesting bit that I can't quite interpret. Also, the vampire herself - she's larger than the others but it's hard to tell if it's on purpose or by accident... (I'm guessing purpose, but somehow it could use some other hint that she's meant to be larger than humans.)

Banj:
First of all it's just good to see you join in. Maybe in a month or two we'll get kazky to join in as well? ;) Yours is truly the most original depiction I've ever seen of a vampire and it's rather refreshing that it's not just two pointy teeth that separates it from human. It looks a bit like a genetic experiment gone wrong ("I wonder what happens if we mix psychopath with piranha?") but although it makes me wonder at the origins I'd have liked a hint of it. Maybe something that would hint at the time - prehistory or future? I really like the comic booky finish too :)

Val:
Like I said before, your vampire reminds me of an alien. But it also looks a bit like a distorted child which makes it all the more scarier. (And not just 'cause I don't like kids lol) - It becomes this creature that you might even pity, until you realise it's about to eat you! I like the textured finish of the whole piece - but maybe I'd have gone with a less saturated blue light. I tend to try to keep shadows saturated and ight desaturated like IFX taught us :P but then again, rules are meant to be broken (sometimes).

As for my vote: I remain undecided o.O Will have to think on that some more!

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

06 Jun 2017 11:54 #16440 by Banj

Maybe in a month or two we'll get kazky to join in as well?

*continues staring at Kazky* :stare: