March challenge - Enter here!

Deadline for entry:

February challenge WINNER ANNOUNCED!

CGAN March 2017 - Sun Wukong - final entries

Poll: Sun Wukong Vote (was ended 2017-04-17 00:00:00)

Valence
2 66.7%
oaktree
1 33.3%
Total number of voters: 3 ( oaktree, Valence, Charlotte )
Only registered users can participate to this poll
02 Mar 2017 13:18 - 20 Apr 2017 12:17 #15389 by Banj
Sun Wukong - The Monkey King

Brief: Depict the mythical Monkey King Sun Wukong.

Deadline: Friday 31st of March at Midnight GMT TIE BREAK DECIDER VOTING WILL CLOSE ON THE 17TH OF APRIL.
Previous vote result:
Valence: 2
Atto: 0
oaktree: 2

This is where you post your Final entries. WIPs should be posted over here: cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...un-wukong-wips#15390

Challenge rules and guidelines:
cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...s/39-challenge-rules

Rules in brief:
  • All challenge entries must be your own work.
  • You should post at least two WIP images that are clearly different from your final entry and each other.
  • Your final entry should contain your image (inserted so it shows up full size) and at least two links to your WIP posts on the forum.
  • No chatter in the finals thread – if you have questions, post them in the WIP thread or PM an admin.
  • Feedback is allowed & encouraged together with the voting and in the WIP thread.
  • Deadline is given in UK time (midnight GMT) with a grace period of 5 minutes for getting the post sorted.
  • Each member may cast one vote
  • No cheating! Admins may decide to disqualify an entry that does not adhere to the above rules.

WINNER: Valence

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

30 Mar 2017 21:01 #15658 by Valence
A bit early but I'm currently having occasional internet problems so I'll post now I have the chance rather than potentially miss the deadline.

1: Scribble.
2: Landscape.
3: Movement (sort of).

Good Luck and finish well. :)
Attachments:

30 Mar 2017 23:41 #15660 by Atto
Whoah! All done! With time to spare - though I am going away for a few days.
Good luck all - hoping to see some more entries when I get back.

Wip 1

Help! I cant draw feet/hands

Wip 2

And the result - wish I had another week to work on the background - well to be precise, wish I had a week to actually provide a background but there you go!

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.
Attachments:

02 Apr 2017 10:24 #15672 by Banj
Voting for this month is now open and will run until the 9th of April. Get your votes in now. :brb:

02 Apr 2017 13:15 #15676 by Valence
Gets in first! ;)
Atto:
I love the imagination of this pose. It has all the aggressive action that you would want but also has the unexpected twist of using the foot in that way to show the skill and dexterity of the character. But as well as being imaginative it was also a tough challenge that you set yourself and even though it took a bit of thought and effort, I think the end result is worth it.
I do agree that, with a bit more time, a background could really help the picture. Even something as simple as a plain horizon just to add a sense of space.
As it is, the picture looks like a character concept and is successful in that way, with that great expression and the descriptive outfit with that lovely embossed details on the arms. I also like the shading on that other foot. It's tricky to get right when it's so close to the light source but it's done very well here and immediately caught my eye in a good and satisfying way.

Oaktree:
I really like the mood and atmosphere of this picture. The composition feels epic and cinematic and even though it's a more understated pose it still has a subtle sense of action with the flowing cloak, the sweeping depth and dimension of the staff, and of course that familiar gesture.
The landscape is done very efficiently with the vast sky described by the linear clouds and the loose brush strokes shaping the form of the foreground rocks.
I still feel you could push the values of the character further. I don't know if it was a time issue or if you were being a little tentative with the shading but it would be worthwhile to experiment further with it, maybe by using a multiply layer just to darken the creases and shadow sides to emphasize the form.
I actually liked the whirlpool cloud bubbling up from the deep but this alternative also works and the little speedy trail it leaves behind shows its urgent obedience as if the cloud itself is a character in the story. :)

Yian:
I was a bit frustrated that you didn't get chance to work your idea any further. I would have loved to see how you could take something so bizarre and surreal as that reference photo (and so different from your usual work) and then transform it into something amazing with your superior skills and artistic kung-fu.
Maybe the next challenge. :)

The vote is a tricky one to call. Both pics do good things in different ways and picking between them feels very subjective.
But I'm gonna go for Oaktree this month. I think Atto's character is rendered better technically and certainly deserves praise for that, yet Oaktree's feels like a more complete picture and is very evocative of the original subject matter. Just looking at it immediately takes me back to the TV show in my mind and makes me recall school kids bouncing around playgrounds while doing the little cloud gesture and singing the theme tune. It has a powerful feeling of nostalgia to it and any painting that elicits emotions like that and can take you away to another time and place is always worth my vote.

03 Apr 2017 00:40 #15687 by Atto
*gently nudges Val out the way to register his vote*

Atto - Really? A whole month and you cant even provide a background?A few clouds dotted across the face of the sun? Tsk! Must do better next time!

Val - For me the greatest part of you entry is that fantastic landscape. It provides the perfect setting and gives a very real sense of time and place. Those rocks look like you've carved them out of my screen and the greenery and little splashes of colour lift the whole thing. I have a real soft spot for waterfalls too and those little buildings? I want to visit. That said they sit really well with the main character that has all your trademark little details and touches. Those eyes scare me - they're a little too real for comfort and yet alien to me at the same time. Great use of his flowing robes to suggest movement and to lead the eye around the picture. Those wisps of cloud/air around his staff are also very cool (I nearly nicked that idea off you in the closing stages).

Oak - I agree with Val that it would be good to push the values on your main character a little but he's already mentioned that so enough said.
Your picture has a lovely cool crisp feel to it - above the clouds with those mountain peaks pushing through them like islands. There's a feeling that we are sharing an environment with the character that few are priviliged to witness, providing a real sense of his power and other worldliness (yeah that's a word....or it is now). I'm glad you were able to incorporate the cloud in some way and I actually think it works very well.

Good work both but this month my vote goes to Val for that excellent landscape and great character design.
Bring on the Warlocks!

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.

08 Apr 2017 17:16 - 08 Apr 2017 17:29 #15713 by microscopi
Great entries this month, really digging the strong movement of the characters, very cool. As for feedback, in sequential order.

Val - Awesome pic! The background and monkey go together really well, love the tranquility of the clouds. The monkey king looks really fierce and energetic with that expression and having him a focal point sitting on a cloud was a nice touch. The design is really awesome, but I must say the background is equally as strong with a lot of detail, and You always spend as much time on each part of your images, it's really consistent and I'm jealous :lol: But really it really I think this is one of your best pics, and your definitely improving too, all the extra details just brings more realism to the monkey king to have him exist in a lush environment. :woohoo:

Atto - I really love your version of the monkey king, hes cute and menacing all at the same time :P the design is really cool and the pose is so awesome, I really love the movement ! The way he's utilizing his back foot to hold the staff and using his hands to push off the rock, really does a excellent job of showing action with a still image it's a cool touch. The atmosphere with the sun really adds a cool lighting on your character, really like the rim lighting with his fur.. His anatomy looks spot on which is always difficult for me to pull off. Awesome job! :woohoo:

Oak - The overall deisgn of your character and background really go together well. I really like the design of the background with the right lighting and atmosphere to show your monkey king to be more of an enlightened character more then a major brawler. The perspective with the background looks spot on and the lighting is really well done. Awesome job overall! You've definitely improved doing more challenges keep it up. Awesome job overall ! :woohoo:

10 Apr 2017 15:49 - 10 Apr 2017 15:49 #15721 by Banj

You cheeky monkeys have tied the votes again, so we are back to another tie breaker. Voting is now between Valence and oaktree both with 2 votes each. Let battle commence (again).
Attachments:

10 Apr 2017 16:02 #15722 by Charlotte
:lol:

are you starting to suspect a conspiracy yet, Banj? :evil:

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.