April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGAN November 2016 - A.I.Robot -Final Entries

Poll: Voting time (was ended 2016-12-09 00:00:00)

Valence
4 66.7%
phoenixdee
No votes 0%
Digital Dave
1 16.7%
SchizophreniaWolf
1 16.7%
Total number of voters: 6 ( SchizophreniaWolf, Atto, phoenixdee, Charlotte, Digital Dave ) See more
Only registered users can participate to this poll
01 Nov 2016 12:14 - 13 Dec 2016 14:13 #14777 by kazky
A.I.Robot

Brief Design a robot that will be used in homes across the world. The design should be anything other than humanoid but the rest can be your choice.

Deadline: Wednesday 30th of November at midnight GMT. Voting open until 9th of December.

This is where you post your Final entry, WIPS should be posted over here:
cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...-2016-a-i-robot-wips

Challenge rules and guidelines:
cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...s/39-challenge-rules

Rules in brief:
•All challenge entries must be your own work.
•You should post at least two WIP images that are clearly different from your final entry and each other.
•Your final entry should contain your image (inserted so it shows up full size) and at least two links to your WIP posts on the forum.
•No chatter in the finals thread – if you have questions, post them in the WIP thread or PM an admin.
•Feedback is allowed & encouraged together with the voting and in the WIP thread.
•Deadline is given in UK time (midnight GMT) with a grace period of 5 minutes for getting the post sorted.
•Each member may cast one vote
•No cheating! Admins may decide to disqualify an entry that does not adhere to the above rules.

WINNER - Valence

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

24 Nov 2016 00:15 - 24 Nov 2016 00:17 #14853 by Valence
A bit early but there's nothing else I want to do with this so...

1. Droning on...
2. ...and on...
3. ...and on.

Good Luck to all finishers!
Attachments:

29 Nov 2016 10:07 - 30 Nov 2016 01:59 #14860 by phoenixdee

ha haa nice Valence, ran out of time to keep workin on this
WIP1
WIP 02
Attachments:

30 Nov 2016 00:55 - 30 Nov 2016 01:02 #14861 by Digital Dave

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D
Attachments:

30 Nov 2016 21:00 #14862 by SchizophreniaWolf
cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...-wips?start=10#14821

I'm sorry, I have only one work in progress :dry:

The idea here was that this man hates humans so much and he only wants contact with his robot. After years of solitude he is starting to look like the monster of frankenstein. So in a way, it's the robot of the monster of Frankenstein. I know, silly... :blush:

Attachments:

01 Dec 2016 14:59 - 02 Dec 2016 20:34 #14863 by Banj
Voting is now open and closes on the 9th of December.

SchizophreniaWolf, I've allowed your entry despite the one WIP, if any man, woman, or child objects they can use their superpower of not voting for it.

02 Dec 2016 19:47 - 02 Dec 2016 19:55 #14866 by Atto
So I'm away from home right now so this is gonna have to be brief. My apologies to those I don't mention.
My vote goes to Schizo it's a completely twisted image and I love that about your work. Special mention to Val- another excellent and professional entry - love your layout and design. Congrats to all who finished - good stuff.

Edit: Banj - I don't appear to be able to physically vote - it may be I'm on my phone - it may be I'm a little drunk - could you throw one down for Schizo please bud? Thanks.

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.

02 Dec 2016 20:36 #14867 by Banj

Edit: Banj - I don't appear to be able to physically vote - it may be I'm on my phone - it may be I'm a little drunk - could you throw one down for Schizo please bud? Thanks.

Sorry my fault I screwed up the date on the poll. It should work now :facepalm:

02 Dec 2016 21:24 #14868 by Valence
Hmm, this is a tough one to call this month. I think everyone could have used a bit more time. Perhaps we should start a petition to add some more days in November. :)

Phoenixdee:
I love the "Roobot" joke at the heart of this pic and it's a really cute design to go with it too. I like the coiled detailing of the tail and the soft shaded colouring creates a blurry vignette that gives it a kind of dreamlike quality that would be perfect as an illustration in a book. And even though there's a light-hearted tone to the idea and design, the sharp eyes still have a more serious, watchful expression as if the robot is fully aware of its responsibilities, which I imagine would contrast with the carefree playfulness of the unseen baby. It makes me want to know more of the story to see what adventures the odd couple of "Baby and Bot" will have together. :)

DigitalDave:
Like with Phoenixdee's picture, I think that the animal design of robot really suits this theme and I love the over-complexity of all those arms doing so many different things along with the grappling tail swooping around to clear up the mess. The metallic colouring is spot on with just the right amount of specularity to suggest the texture.
The background is nicely done especially with the picture on the wall (I do like the idea of a painting within a painting) although the wall on the left does look a little sparse and leaves the picture a little too open at the edge. My eye wants to drift away when I look there.
One great final addition was the cropped person on the right. There's something really funny about only seeing their hand as they demand a drink and it also makes me empathize a little with the poor robot doing all these chores for the unseen master while retaining his faithful, obedient expression.

Schizo:
Another awesome drawing that's filled with beautiful character details. I particularly like the unsettling way that everyone's staring as us as we're intruding on them. The sculpture, the robot and the grumpy old man all glare at us with the same pose and expression, backed up by the beady eyes of all those photographs. The only exception is the little mouse that looks up at the hulking robot in a terrified way. And with all those aggressive eyes challenging us I feel we can relate to that little mouse. :lol:
With time constraints the pic still looks a little sketchy in places and part of me wants the robot's face to have more of a glow to it but perhaps that would have upset the values elsewhere. But none of that matters, it's still a brilliantly expressive image that has a great depth of character to it.

And to choose…

Phoenixdee has the best pun and made me smile the most and Schizo's has the most artistic depth to it (as usual!) but I think I'm gonna go for Dave. The complexity of the design and the vivid animal personality seems the best fit for this theme in capturing the essence of non-humanoid AI and I think he achieved the most in the available time.

One vote for DigitalDave!

02 Dec 2016 23:41 #14870 by Digital Dave
I really loved the designs put forth for these images. I do wish both Phoenixdee & Schizo were able to get more time in, (count myself in as well) because I really like both of these images and would like to see them polished up.

But again, I have to give this one to Valence. The way you laid it out as a product design, showing it both in action and resting mode, as well as the associated wording selling all of it's great features, really makes it work quite well. Congrats! :)

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D