April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGAN Sept 2016 - Random - Final entries

Poll: October Voting (was ended 2016-10-08 00:00:00)

Valence
1 20%
Kodabble
4 80%
Total number of voters: 5 ( Kodabble, Digital Dave, microscopi, Atto, Valence )
Only registered users can participate to this poll
01 Sep 2016 11:42 - 10 Oct 2016 11:59 #14445 by Banj
Random

Brief: This month you are to create an image using at least 3 of the randomly generated words listed below
  • Smuggler
  • Dolphins
  • Demolition
  • Astronaut
  • Coffin
  • Alligator
  • Betrayal
Deadline: Friday 30th of September at midnight GMT Voting will close on the 8th of October

This is where you post your final entries. WIPs should be posted over here: cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...ept-2016-random-wips

Challenge rules and guidelines:
cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...s/39-challenge-rules

Rules in brief:
  • All challenge entries must be your own work.
  • You should post at least two WIP images that are clearly different from your final entry and each other.
  • Your final entry should contain your image (inserted so it shows up full size) and at least two links to your WIP posts on the forum.
  • No chatter in the finals thread – if you have questions, post them in the WIP thread or PM an admin.
  • Feedback is allowed & encouraged together with the voting and in the WIP thread.
  • Deadline is given in UK time (midnight GMT) with a grace period of 5 minutes for getting the post sorted.
  • Each member may cast one vote
  • No cheating! Admins may decide to disqualify an entry that does not adhere to the above rules.

WINNER: Kodabble

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

26 Sep 2016 20:00 #14614 by Valence
I'm done with this now.

1: Bad Scribbles.
2: Bad Torch.

And finish.
Shrunk my astronaut/smuggler down a little and sneaked a couple of more words in the background (but still no "Betrayal", that was a tricky one.) And I decided to go OTT with the gimmicks including some chromatic aberration and a bit of dirty lens, even though I don't really like that kind of thing. Maybe that can count as a "Betrayal" of principles! :lol:

Hope someone else finishes too! :unsure:
Attachments:

30 Sep 2016 20:17 - 30 Sep 2016 20:20 #14629 by Kodabble
Well I didn't get as far as I wanted to, but I want to at least post something for this challenge, so there will be others like this.

WIP1 cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...-wips?start=10#14563
WIP2 cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...-wips?start=10#14573
Attachments:

02 Oct 2016 00:40 - 02 Oct 2016 00:49 #14644 by Valence
Kodabble: You may not have got as far as you wanted but I love the work you did achieve here. The dolphin is brilliant and has a really believable texture while also retaining an expression we can recognise and relate to.
The water is even better though., especially those dynamic little waves and crests at the top of the bowl. Wonderfully rendered to give a clear sense of the fluid sloshing around. Love it.
And the format and composition would work well as a wrap-around cover for the book.

Atto: Sorry you didn't get more time for it. :( Would've liked to have seen more of your intriguing smuggling duo!
Chastise yourself thoroughly for not finishing! :lol:

Edit: And thanks to Charlotte and Banj for the flashlight feedback. It's still not perfect in the picture but it's waaay better than it would have been without your intervention and advice.

My vote?

10: LET K=number_of_votes_for_Kodabble
20: K=K+1
30: END

RUN>

03 Oct 2016 23:34 #14670 by Digital Dave
Nice works, guys. ... But I do like the dolphin in a space-suit. Something you don't see everyday. :) And the water porting out the back in lieu of air is a nice touch. :)

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

04 Oct 2016 20:18 - 04 Oct 2016 20:23 #14673 by microscopi
Val : I really like the atmosphere with this one, its very strong especially the view from space from within the temple area, definitely adds to the depth. The colors are perfect for this kind of mood, the cooler colors illustrate isolation and mystery especially with the story involving the central figure.

I think if you darken the lighting from the areas behind the walls it would add more to the depth, and brighten the highlights, the figure on the left could be completely almost dark with a bit of detail showing through and an epic rim lighting around him making him stand out, the same for the figure on the right although he is exposed to more lighting, Overall it's a great pic though! :woohoo:

Kod: I agree that's a pretty awesome design , i'm sure he's headed for Europa :P I like the Hitchhikers shout out, it works with the rest of the pic, the dolphin is really well done and his expression is clearly one of joy. The spacesuit design has a classic look too which I like. I think the planet is great, although it takes a bit away from the dolphin as it's competing for your attention, maybe make a bit darker and smaller in the background to add more focus to the dolphin. The fish in the bowl look just as great as the dolphin, they don't seem to be as joyful for the situation! Awesome job ! :woohoo:

06 Oct 2016 03:26 #14683 by Kodabble
Valence,
Thanks for the comments. Yes, after I got so far along I noticed it looked like it could be a book jacket, but then the dolphin should be on the cover, so I flipped the image. Of course due to time, or lack of it, I didn’t get to do things like fixing the inverted North American continent
Anyway on to more important things. I really like the atmosphere on your work especially the eerie blue shine coming off the gem/device on the center coffin head. That glow adds that mysterious effect you see movies when something is about happen. Nicely done. Also you did a nice job working out the flashlight beam, looks great.

10 Oct 2016 12:01 #14695 by Banj
This months winner is

Kodabble

Congratulations Kodabble.

10 Oct 2016 19:05 #14698 by Charlotte
Congratulations! :woohoo:

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

11 Oct 2016 00:48 #14699 by Valence
Congratulations Kodabble.
And well deserved too, the quirky style of your pic perfectly captured the "randomness" of the theme.
:applause: