April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGAN May 2016 "Fallen" - Final entries

Poll: May 2016 vote (was ended 2016-06-08 00:00:00)

SchizophreniaWolf
3 37.5%
hansnomad
2 25%
Tyl
1 12.5%
CherryGraphics
1 12.5%
Valence
1 12.5%
microscopi
No votes 0%
Total number of voters: 8 ( SchizophreniaWolf, microscopi, oaktree, Atto, CherryGraphics ) See more
Only registered users can participate to this poll
03 Jun 2016 23:28 #13844 by Atto
Ok, first of all thanks Val, I was really upset I couldn't finish (again) but sometimes work calls and I have now been away from home for the past 5 days or so. What really upset me though was that my entry this month was (almost) a direct copy of a photo. Now, I often produce this type of image for my sketchbook or for my personal growth but I feel a complete charlatan for entering a challenge this way. That said I was going to add fantasy aspects to the image but I just ran out of time. :( (I did nearly post that last wip as my final but my conscience wouldn't allow it!)
Now onto my vote:
Micro: I loved the progress of yours but that final entry really didn't quite shout 'Fallen' to me. Sorry Dude.
Val: I really love the owls messed up eyes, the cutesy approach to a very serious topic and the whole story book idea. I'd love to read the book and the owl and cat could inspire some awesome spin offs and I thought your story was absolutely fantastic.
Cherry: Though I love the final image I actually felt that this entry fell kinda short of your normal standard (that's not a criticism of you work just a statement about how much I have enjoyed your recent entries).
Tyl: As I mentioned in the wips thread I really enjoy your use of colour here, I also love the idea of this angel searching round on the floor for something lost, I often do the same thing when I've misplaced my glasses.
Schizo: Awesome bud, just absolutely awesome. The .......epicness of your entry is just great. I love the fact you have hinted at a world filled with legend and story. An ancestral mythology that exists beyond the constraints of the challenge, a back story.
Hansnomad: This is my knee jerk reaction winner this month. Schizos back story provides a real history to his image and Vals storybook shows a lengthier and deeper thought process however yours provoked a far deeper emotional reaction from me with regard to the subject matter. Analysing my reaction a little further I respond to the loss of faith in a divine power that you illustrate with the lack of object to the subjects gaze and enjoy the contemporary references (the cigar and the figures dress) in what at first glance is an almost classical image. Well done dude, this month you get my vote.

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tyl

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

05 Jun 2016 16:56 - 05 Jun 2016 17:09 #13848 by microscopi
Wolf, first of all, as everyone else is stating I too think your pic is 'epic' :woohoo: As far as the technical stuff, the lighting and colors all go great together to create an awesome evil battle image, all the dark and soft shadows really up the mood of the lighting and dark feel of the pic. The use of foreshortening on his sword, gives the pic a nice depth, and the character designs are awesome, but I know you can do cutsy stuff too! :P You definitely have the talent to pull off both ! :cheer:

Hans, I voted your pic as number one as it really has that finished touch I like so much! :woohoo: Also really awesome how the characters jump out from the background! :woohoo: Their both realistically textured and colored, awesome! :woohoo: The background is just as detailed and I really dig the colors a lot, seems perfect for your style, keep it coming ! Awesome all around !:cheer:

Tyl, that's such a complicated pose to pull off, but you did a great job with it! :woohoo: I think having the underlying bone structure helped a lot, and was pretty awesome when you incorporated it, I must admit, I sort of wish you left it in the picture ! :woohoo: It would of gave her a cool style, but that's just my dramatic flare speaking :lol: The colors are awesome, I think you have a strong knowledge there based on your other stuff too, great job ! :woohoo:

Cherry, awesome design incorporating the bird and women ! :woohoo: I love the harmony of the sweeping arc motion, almost like a Fibonacci sequence! :woohoo: She has an awesome facial expression, it's doing a great job of selling what she is feeling, her eyes are really well done, she has this calm yet fierce look in her eyes and they make her come alive definitely, almost like shes staring right at you ! :woohoo:

Val, I must admit the details are all amazing as always even when you're doing a cutsy pic! :woohoo: You should send that to a children's book publisher and see if anyone will hire you as it looks amazing! :lol: Seriously though, I am being serious lol, really like the design, and I think the fact you finished it in such a short amount of time is awesome ! :woohoo:

In regards to comments on mine, I was struggling the whole time to find the right direction for the ship to be facing in, it was backwards from what I was thinking and with all the component details I was struggling to find the right direction to fix iti. Actually wasn't going to submit it at all but I felt like I should of, as I know I didn't include the elements of my story by incorporating any fire or smoking engine parts ! I worked on it for two days in a row and didn't make any progress ( I get into slumps like that sometimes !) so I ended up rushing the end, sort of why it resembles the Back to the Future car a bit :lol: I think i'm going to be like crank and sit a couple out and work on strengthening my skills. Wish I could afford school, but right now I don't have money really for food lol

06 Jun 2016 20:08 - 07 Jun 2016 08:34 #13853 by SchizophreniaWolf
thx for your wonderfull comments, banna-guys and cherry-girl ;) !!!!
hansnomad: it is all nicely done, but I follow what Cherry said about the coherence in your paint. and did you use 3D? I had to ask, but anyway nice. Make me think about the illustrations in roll-playing books in the ‘90.
Tyl:Hey stranger, the way you painted the feathers is great! Those big, purposefully strokes I love. but there are some things I don’t like: the way the wings are attached to the body, the expression on the face (but thats personal) and the hands, especially the upper hand, looks like those tiny plastic forks to eat fries with :p, lol. But hands are hard. I sometimes cut a hand from a picture and paste it in mijn paint, shame on me. I didn’t do it in these paint! :)
CherryGraphics: Waw, energy! the expression on the face is intense, I like it very much. It also matches the enviroment perfectly. Love the lightening-bolts. Don’t like the shape of the head of the bird and the hair comming out of the girls eye. BUT I don’t know iff you did it on purpose, but the red hairs (comming from her eye) together with the eye form the silhouette of a bird, thats cool! on purpose or not.
Valence: I’m not going to comment your work, because you hardly give comments on other peoples work, you are only here to collect trophies and show off your skills! :p joking ofcourse. Nice illustration, the cat an awl are awesome!! I want them on a T-shirt. The girl I don’t like so much, her face looks a little molten, but that’s the only negative. Fun story, I will tell it to my 2.7 year old son! :D Thx.
microscopi: I’m not going to comment your work, because you hardly give… no wait, allready made that joke. No, it’s a realy nice paint, the colours are very original. Two things are, without a backstory visually there is no connection with the topic and second the horizon left and the one right of the car have a different hight, that looks a bit wierd. But anyway, nice paint, cool car, mad max on Mars!!!

So Tyl or Cherry pie, Tyl or Cherry pie,Tyl or Cherry pie, Cherry pie or Tyl, …
Tyl has a better technique, Cherry has more ‘vibe’ in her paint, there is something that makes me believe Cherry’s paint more that Tyl’s. Maybe it’s the eyes looking straight at me… but I realy hate that birl, lol, sorry Cherry! But your ‘vibe and energy’ gets my vote anyway! I like intense drama, what can I say!?

08 Jun 2016 09:32 #13860 by Banj
And the winner this month is SchizophreniaWolf, congratulations.

08 Jun 2016 23:24 #13865 by Valence
Well Done, Mr Wolf! :woohoo:

09 Jun 2016 08:06 - 09 Jun 2016 08:26 #13866 by SchizophreniaWolf
Thx Banj, thx Valence :)

09 Jun 2016 11:50 #13868 by Charlotte
Congrats Schizo! That's a truly epic image! :)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

09 Jun 2016 15:23 #13869 by SchizophreniaWolf
Thx, Charlote!!! :lol:

09 Jun 2016 15:31 - 09 Jun 2016 15:32 #13870 by microscopi
Congrats Wolf!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10 Jun 2016 06:54 #13872 by SchizophreniaWolf
THX, microoooooo!!!!!!!! :whistle: