March challenge - Enter here!

Deadline for entry:

February challenge WINNER ANNOUNCED!

CGAN July 2014 Challenge - The Big Ad Job

05 Jul 2014 12:00 - 05 Jul 2014 12:06 #418 by Charlotte
Let's all pretend for a minute that we're a big, fancy and rich company and we'll be marketing this great, brand spanking new forum all over the place. But for that we need an advertisement image of the most awesomest kind. So here goes, the very first monthly challenge on the CGArtNexus forums:

Title: The Big Ad Job
Brief: You've been hired to make an advertisement (format has not been decided, it may be poster or a banner, either vertical or horisontal, or some other format: you choose) för the fantastic new product the CG Art Forums. Since the forums mainly deal with digital fantasy or sci-fi art this should be reflected in the advertisement. The name CG ART NEXUS should also be included.

Deadline: Thursday July 31st, by midnight GMT.
Final entries are posted in this thread while works in progress should be posted over here: www.cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/chal...-the-big-ad-job-wips

Challenge rules and guidelines:
www.cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/chal...s/39-challenge-rules

Rules in brief:
  • All challenge entries must be your own work.
  • You should post at least two WIP images that are clearly different from your final entry and each other.
  • Your final entry should contain your image (inserted so it shows up full size) and at least two links to your WIP posts on the forum.
  • No chatter in the finals thread – if you have questions, post them in the WIP thread or PM an admin.
  • Feedback is allowed & encouraged together with the voting and in the WIP thread.
  • Deadline is given in UK time (midnight GMT) with a grace period of 5 minutes for getting the post sorted.
  • Each member may cast one set of votes, for their 3 favourites.
  • No cheating! Admins may decide to disqualify an entry that does not adhere to the above rules.

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

05 Jul 2014 15:51 #464 by Charlotte
Just to clarify things: This is the FINALs thread, where chatting isn't allowed. ;)

30 Jul 2014 05:17 - 30 Jul 2014 05:27 #4547 by microscopi
Attachments:

31 Jul 2014 18:30 - 31 Jul 2014 18:31 #4605 by CherryGraphics
Here I am - finally finished my ad for this forum :)

Hope you enjoy it ;) Good luck guys!

The Living Ad

WIP 1
WIP 2
WIP 3

If I had a world of my own,everything would be nonsense.Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.

Facebook / Behance
Attachments:

31 Jul 2014 19:28 - 31 Jul 2014 19:58 #4606 by Kodabble
OK time to post my final.
WIP1
WIP2
WIP3

Good Luck everyone.
Attachments:

31 Jul 2014 21:57 - 31 Jul 2014 23:09 #4616 by oaktree
Got here in the end posting image I need to work out how the links work Good luck all.
Wip 1 cgartnexus.com/forums/challenge-wips/42-...-wips?start=100#2876
Wip 2. cgartnexus.com/forums/challenge-wips/42-...-wips?start=120#3150

Attachments:

31 Jul 2014 22:00 #4617 by ClaudeCrow
Attachments:

01 Aug 2014 06:51 - 01 Aug 2014 16:18 #4623 by Charlotte
Great entries everyone! I will set up the vote when I get home tonight! :) (And put up a new challenge!)
EDIT: Honey I'm hoome!

So you all know the drill - vote for your three favourites clearly stating 1st, 2nd and 3rd and include feedback if you have time. Voting will end Tuesday evening my time (make that 4 pm UK time), since the weekend tends to be a bit slow in this as well as the previous forums!

The entrants are:
Microscopi
CherryGraphics
Kodabble
oaktree
Claude Crow

01 Aug 2014 18:29 #4669 by Smolin
This is an odd challenge, because it mixes art and design. Some entries have great art but lack clarity and legibility in the design. And for an ad, the clarity and legibility is more important than the art.

1) ClaudeCrow - I love the art, and the logo placement is clear and strong. It reads well from a distance and the art doesn't overpower the logo.

2) Kodabble - I love this concept. It's classic and epic, and the art is really wonderfully executed. My only problem is with the "CG ART" part of the logo: I don't like that typeface, and the treatment looks too clean against the rest.

3) Microscopi - It's a great picture, but the logo is small and hard to read.

CherryGraphics - Excellent picture, but there is so much going on, which completely overpowers the message. Too much concept & not enough clarity, I think! A much better piece of art than it is an advertisement.

Oaktree - A fun concept, reminiscent of the original GURPS RPG cover. Also, the logo placement helps direct our focus, but the image looks a little unfinished. Another pass with sharper highlights would really help the image come together.

01 Aug 2014 22:35 #4678 by Kynamh
1) ClaudeCrow
2) Microscopi
3) Kodabble