April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Suggestions for Monthly Challenge Brief

24 Jun 2016 11:25 #13934 by Charlotte
Ooh I like many of those suggestions, Hans, and em :)

I remember downloading the template for the IFX cover way back before the rising stars contest replaced cover contests. Unfortunately I don't seem to still have it, but I guess it would be anough to give a format (pixel size) and bleed... Well, maybe Banj would like to design the magazine name too :P

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

27 Jun 2016 12:05 #13983 by kazky
love the anniversary issue suggestion!

21 Dec 2016 08:49 #14953 by octoberstormxx
Title: A Fantastical Beast

Brief: In light of the new Harry Potter film, pretend you are adding a new page to the Fantastical Beasts and Where to Find Them encyclopedia with a creature you recently discovered!

27 Dec 2016 22:02 #14979 by Charlotte
RIP Carrie Fisher :'(

much as I love the harry potter and fantastical creatures suggestion I'm thinking something princess Leia related. maybe from her years between movie #6 and 7 (assuming I got the numbers right)

31 Dec 2016 17:34 - 31 Dec 2016 17:49 #14995 by em...

RIP Carrie Fisher :'(

much as I love the harry potter and fantastical creatures suggestion I'm thinking something princess Leia related. maybe from her years between movie #6 and 7 (assuming I got the numbers right)

How about creating a new Star Wars galaxy heroine in her honour? The name could be arrived at through one of those "make your own Star Wars name" things where you take letters from your name and your parents names to come up with a new one (obviously using Carrie's).

There was a method of doing that which seemed to give quite good results, with a bit of massaging - taking the first syllable from your first name, with the first syllable from your surname, then the first syllable from your mother's maiden name and the last syllable from your father's surname.

So Carrie Fisher, Debbie Reynolds and Eddie Fisher give Cafis Reyner

31 Dec 2016 20:05 #14997 by Atto
Em... I think thats a fantastic idea and am going to commit to do it as part of my new year resolution to spend more time on art this year even if we don't do it as a challenge. Seconded!

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.

31 Dec 2016 23:28 #14998 by kazky
This is fun, I would be Kawri Parman which is probably what I should have actually been called

01 Jan 2017 16:37 #15003 by Charlotte
I'd be Chahl Jerngren or, well, maybe just Jeren... That sounds better. Jerngren doesn't sound jedi-ish at all :P

02 May 2017 23:40 #16013 by Atto
I always enjoyed challenges with a more evocative title as opposed to a "depict this...." type brief. I think they open up the challenge to a great deal more interpretation. A few suggestions:

The Awakening
Slumber
Journeys End
The Use of Weapons (avoiding any reference to a certain novel by Mr Banks)
The Half Man
Navigator
Organic/Machine

A few abstract titles might be fun too:

Beach
Mind Breaths
Essence

How about more along the theme of the recent(ish) Magazine cover?

Movie posters
Book Jackets
T-Shirts?

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.

03 May 2017 12:24 #16014 by kazky
yeah i agree Atto, I like those kind of themes, the only thing is how do you pick a winner when it's open to interpretation, that's the problem we come up against.

Interesting to see what others think, we've had, or started this discussion before i'm sure?