April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Suggestions for Monthly Challenge Brief

03 May 2017 12:37 #16020 by Charlotte
I like open themes too, but yes they do leave the voting as open as the theme :P

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

03 May 2017 23:14 #16049 by Atto
I'm not entirely sure we should be concerning ourselves with how we (the voting we that is) should be picking a winner. Surely the point is to inspire people to create art and to practice their skills within (and this is really important to me at least) a fixed frame of time.
I'm sure we are all enlightened enough as artists not to be upset if we don't get any votes - it never bothered me anyhow - and we are equally intelligent enough to vote for a piece of work that speaks to us personally as opposed to being motivated by any weird sense of loyalty or politics.
A great piece of art is a great piece of art no matter what the jumping off point is. I just think that a more open brief may inspire more people to join in. I've read before that some of us are relieved when, for example, a brief calls for a less violent or 'male' response.
That's how I see it anyhow.

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.

04 May 2017 07:58 #16050 by kazky
That's a very good point Atto

04 May 2017 13:31 #16084 by Valence
It's hard enough getting people to vote anyway so I don't see that as too much of an issue.
As long as it's not a tie, that's all that matters. :P

04 May 2017 13:38 #16086 by kazky
Also true, so would you still want it to be under the same timeline and voting etc, just an open to interpretation brief?

04 May 2017 13:38 #16087 by Charlotte
Agreed. Though there's always the chance that all entries get 1 vote each :P

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

04 May 2017 16:10 #16099 by Atto
Personally I don't think that we should change any of the time restraints or voting process. With all my other commitments a month means I get to work on my entry for about 30ish hours.

29 May 2017 23:44 #16379 by Atto
Just a few more suggestions:

Patriarch/Matriarch
Monolith - an architectural/landscape based challenge
Portal - as above
Caravan/Caravanserai - mainly because I just bought one for work

02 Jun 2017 20:50 - 02 Jun 2017 20:58 #16411 by octoberstormxx
Title: Back to the Drawing Board

Brief: Hit rewind and redo (not rework, so start from scratch) an old drawing. When finished, post them side by side. See how your art has developed and changed over time!

Title: Super Granny!

Brief: With her super sewing ability and knitting needles, Super Granny can ensnare any villain! She might not be able to move around without her walker, but one thing's for sure, you can always depend on Super Granny! Depict Super Granny leaping, or waddling, into action! And feel free to reimagine her however you wish.

Title: Need for Speed

Brief: As an extra challenge for a challenge, you must produce a speed drawing in under X amount of hours. When finished write down your record timing and share your work!

Title: Un-Caricature

Brief: Apply realism to a cartoon or animated character. Any character is allowed, whether an animal, person, or object.

I couldn't decide on what an acceptable time limit would be since I never do speed drawings, so someone else might want to tabulate what that should be.

31 Jul 2017 01:05 #17147 by hansnomad

Title: Back to the Drawing Board
Brief: Hit rewind and redo (not rework, so start from scratch) an old drawing. When finished, post them side by side. See how your art has developed and changed over time!

Just poked my head in (haven't been around in months) to see how everyone is and check the latest challenge. Saw the suggestion above and it immediately made me want to redo one of the first things I did about 10 years ago (which in retrospect is horrific). :blush: I'll keep my eye on the challenges in case that one comes up.