April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGAN Feb 2016 - Life on Mars - Finals

Poll: Voting time (was ended 2016-03-08 00:00:00)

Nalo_does_art1
1 14.3%
Atto
No votes 0%
SchizophreniaWolf
2 28.6%
Valence
1 14.3%
microscopi
3 42.9%
Total number of voters: 7 ( oaktree, microscopi, Nalo_does_art1, SchizophreniaWolf, Valence ) See more
Only registered users can participate to this poll
02 Mar 2016 09:19 - 02 Mar 2016 09:25 #13458 by SchizophreniaWolf
Many thx for all the wonderfull comments, and Valence, you are right (offcours :) ), I can't believe I missed that! I studied animation in belgium and this was one of the golden rules of composition. I'm gonna have to punish myself, no more beer this week :( .

Nalo_does_art1: And Nalo does some nice art. It's funny too. Is there something sexual going on there, with het worm in the back? Is it after the good lady's spice? Or is it my dirty mind? Two things I personaly don't like are the fuzziness, the colors lack a little bit of contrast like it has been hanging in the sun for to long and the mixing of lettertypes, the text looks a little bit to easy. But like I said, that doesn't change your paintingskills.

Atto: I like the LIFE magazine idea :D and the set is well painted, but I can be on any planet, I don't see the typical martian landscape, offcours I know , it's also because the black and white. The light behind the pillars, that's cool, looks like a wandering soul.

Schizo: You made a terrible mistake, like Valence already told you, try harder you fool!

Valence: Wow Valence, you made a entire graphic novel page. I see that when yu want something you go for it, and you are not lazy, very inspiring! Space and planet, beautiful; dessert and sand storm, I like the light on the sand, I don't like the clouds, they look like cottonballs :), next image, nice; depth of field, nice, nasa-robot nice; the eye, really nice, and that that is one ugly motherf... piep, I'm not a bid fan of star trek retro-designs of aliens, but he is wel painted! And I like his pose, with the hand in the air like that: "To WAR, we will go!!!"

microscopi: Yep Micro, looks great! The texture is lovely, the rocks have a realistic feel to it. Two things I don't like is the white blured light (sun) and the look and color of the water. The burned yellow glow just above the rocks is a bit to hard I think, maybe it's me. It looks a bit to bright, and maybe the water should reflect the color of the sky more, now it has some blue here and there, but on earth thats because of the blue sky, not sure if I'm right about this. But anyway, its a nice picture!

For me its between Valence and Microscopi... Valence gave the audiance more to look at, Micro payed more attention to an artistic quality. HARD! In Valence's work we see the life on Mars, in Micro's pic its mostlikely in the water... in conceptart I like to see a much as possible. But nobody said this is a conceptart challenge... I know. I going for the atmosphere and ambience, and thats Microscopi. Im sure Valence wont mind with his 8 medals on his chest :P

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

03 Mar 2016 17:45 #13460 by Nalo_does_art1
I shall make this quick since I am sneakily typing this while I am waiting for a render.

Great work everyone!
I look forward to seeing more in the upcoming months.

Atto:
Nice stuff like I mentioned before with a unique idea on the theme I need your imagination haha.

Shizo:
Wow loving the scale, I almost feel like the creature could be a boss in a video game :D

Valence:
You clearly have to most ambition putting us all to shame by doing a whole comic page, the first 3 panel in particular are fantastic.

Micro:
This is my vote!
even though I preferred some of your choices in your WIP submissions, the piece appeals to me very much, I admire your skills very much!

It was a tough call as everyones were brilliant.

Cya for now I better get back to work

(sorry in advance for a spelling errors haha)

04 Mar 2016 19:42 #13462 by microscopi
Nalo - I like the anatomy of your sexy lady. The pose and expression are reminiscence of the retro pin ups but with an awesome alien twist. The worm in the background sells it, like the parchment effect of the background, nice touch! :woohoo:

Atto - Really complex design with all those structures, but you definitely pulled it off! I think I liked the color version more as it brought out the lighting more, but the Life cover really works also, I think if you had a bit of martian showing maybe his shadow showing below the light on the floor for effect but great job overall, awesome lighting! :P

Schizo - You have a talent for characters that's for sure, the last couple were original and I really wanted to see the completed version of your dragon! But i'm glad you got it in this month, the perspective low angle shot really makes you focus on the creature, so great choice, creature design is awesome! B)

Val - You put so much work into yours with the story you went the extra mile for me so you get my vote this month :woohoo: My favorite panels: Space awesome colors, the alien, really cool design and the eyeball is awesome too! :lol:

* I don't care how many ribbons you have, maybe Banj can make every 5 ribbons blue to make some extra room on yours!*

09 Mar 2016 11:19 #13494 by Banj
So this months voting is over and the winner is

microscopi ,

congratualtions.

09 Mar 2016 11:37 #13495 by Atto
Congratulations Micro!!

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.

09 Mar 2016 11:56 #13496 by SchizophreniaWolf
Well done, Micro

09 Mar 2016 17:55 #13498 by microscopi
Thanks guys :woohoo: Going to have to clean up the rocks so messy!. :silly:

11 Mar 2016 14:19 #13503 by Valence
Congratulations, micro! :woohoo: