March challenge - Enter here!

Deadline for entry:

February challenge WINNER ANNOUNCED!

CGAN Zodiac - Sagittarius - Final Entries

22 Nov 2015 11:46 - 22 Nov 2015 11:49 #12846 by Banj
Sagittarius (November 22 - Decemeber 21)

The zodiac challenge will aim to run for the entire zodiac year and work with the timescale of each zodiac sign. This is a 'just for fun' challenge, but you will have a lovely set of horoscope images if you choose to take part. Kazky will be the main moderator for these challenges so contact her if you have questions or issues.

We will be sticking to the western zodiac, apologies to other zodiacs :)
Research each sign and depict it however you interpret it.

Deadline: December 21st
WIP thread: cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...gittarius-wips#12847

Rules in brief:
  • All challenge entries must be your own work.
  • You should post at least two WIP images that are clearly different from your final entry and each other.
  • Your final entry should contain your image (inserted so it shows up full size) and at least two links to your WIP posts on the forum.
  • No chatter in the finals thread – if you have questions, post them in the WIP thread or PM an admin.
  • Feedback is allowed & encouraged together with the voting and in the WIP thread.
  • Deadline is given in UK time (midnight GMT) with a grace period of 5 minutes for getting the post sorted.
  • Each member may cast one vote.
  • No cheating! Admins may decide to disqualify an entry that does not adhere to the above rules.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 Dec 2015 21:34 - 21 Dec 2015 21:35 #13059 by Valence
I haven't really finished this but the deadline disagrees (they always do!)
But I did get chance to redo the horsey legs after finding a better reference (although it has introduced more of a twist to the body that I'm not overly happy with.)

So here's my centaur firing a shooting star into the sky helpfully aimed by the backseat driver. And being a nerdy sort of person I imagine her saying that classic Captain Kirk line, "Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning."

1: First Two.
2: Two More.

Attachments:

22 Dec 2015 10:13 - 22 Dec 2015 10:29 #13063 by Banj
Well there is only one entry (possibly because nobody knew what Decemeber is after I appear to have mistyped the deadline :facepalm:). Therefore I will announce the winner as...

Miss Columbia

Valence

Congratulations Valence.

EDIT - We are going to put the Zodiac challenges on temporary hiatus again now we have kind of come full circle from the original run of challenges.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Valence

22 Dec 2015 12:54 #13065 by CherryGraphics
Congrats Val - again! :woohoo: I love this painting a lot :) the heaven and the clouds and light of the clouds are really nice drawn. and the characters are fine as well. The centaur, or at least his face, reminds me a lot of Khal Drogo ... but where is Daeny? ;) The textures of the rocks and plants are really nice! It has the right tangibility to be there but not to pop into the foreground. The centaur is well drawn - just his belly button is a bit to big in my opinion. :whistle:

PS: I don't want to embarrass you but... the phrase "Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning" was written by J.M. Barrie, PETER PAN said this to Wendy while they fly to Neverland. :P And maybe Captain Kirk said this too but he just said this because Peter Pan said it before. .....Captain Kirk was searching for Neverland, hm? :lol:

PPS: Sad to hear there's a pause in the challenges again - capricornus is MY zodiac sign. :D

If I had a world of my own,everything would be nonsense.Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.

Facebook / Behance

22 Dec 2015 15:07 #13066 by Atto
Congrats Val! Though I think ripping Miss Columbias' crown from her head in front of a multitude of on lookers was a little cruel ;) The background here is truly gorgeous and as Cherry says it has the perfect balance.
Zodiac challenges on hiatus?!? Does that mean Val will be entering the monthly's? Oh no! :ohmy: Guess I didn't need any more medals anyhow!
Seriously though, I look forward to seeing you over there bud.
Are we going to resurrect an older theme though Banj? Such as Battle Royale or maybe a daily sketch challenge?

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.

22 Dec 2015 15:23 - 22 Dec 2015 15:26 #13067 by Valence
Thanks all, and extra thanks to Charlotte and Hobbyhorse for pointing out the leg problems (even though they're not completely solved :unsure:)
The belly button is indeed too big, it was a struggle trying to get it to "explain" the twist of the body and it stretched way too far.

PS. Yes I did know that was a quotation rather than an original line (although I frequently forget its origin) but it always seemed more appropriate to me in Star Trek. But then I am too much of a science geek. :lol:

26 Dec 2015 10:10 #13074 by Charlotte
Congrats Val - for being the only one managing to finish! :)

Cherry - I think Drogo maybe took off with Merida, this time? :) Capricorn is my sign too but we did it back in the old IFX forums. (Also we don't have all that many participants at the moment...)

Atto - it would be nice to have something else but we're not quite sure what yet. What's Battle Royal? *can't remember anything called that from IFX*

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

26 Dec 2015 15:11 #13079 by Valence

I think Drogo maybe took off with Merida, this time?

"Brave" was actually the big Christmas day movie on TV in England (I rather enjoyed it, despite the silly bear-spell story. Pixar animations are so much smoother and more subtle than the DreamWorks films.)
If I'd put more thought into it I would've given the girl more of that wild hair. :)

30 Dec 2015 01:01 #13095 by Atto
Val - I really enjoyed 'Brave' even with the silly bear story though I am a fan of Kelly Macdonald - its that scottish accent that really does it for me (and THAT scene in Trainspotting). As you say there is some extremely cool animation in there too.

Charlotte - I may have the title of that challenge wrong though I'll post in the suggestions thread what I was thinking about.

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.