April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGAN Zodiac Challenge - Leo - Finals

Poll: Voting for the King of Leos (was ended 2015-08-09 00:00:00)

Valence
1 20%
CherryGraphics
1 20%
microscopi
3 60%
Total number of voters: 5 ( Kodabble, microscopi, Mercurycat, CherryGraphics, Valence )
Only registered users can participate to this poll
27 Jul 2015 17:30 - 17 Aug 2015 11:29 #11853 by Charlotte
Leo (23rd July - 22nd August)

The zodiac challenge will aim to run for the entire zodiac year and work with the timescale of each zodiac sign. This is a 'just for fun' challenge, but you will have a lovely set of horoscope images if you choose to take part. Kazky will be the main moderator for these challenges so contact her if you have questions or issues.

NOTE: The challenge began on the Imagine FX forums and sort of "died off" after moving here. It is now restarted approximately where we last left off. No finals were posted for the last Leo challenge but some WIPs were. In accordance with our usual challenge rules those previous WIPs do not count for the current challenge. New work will have to be made. Also, since we're a bit "early" for Leo, the challenge will close on August 1st, followed by a vote.

We will be sticking to the western zodiac, apologies to other zodiacs :)
Research each sign and depict it however you interpret it.

Rules in brief:
All challenge entries must be your own work.
You should post at least two WIP images that are clearly different from your final entry and each other.
Your final entry should contain your image (inserted so it shows up full size) and at least two links to your WIP posts on the forum.
No chatter in the finals thread – if you have questions, post them in the WIP thread or PM an admin.
Feedback is allowed & encouraged together with the voting and in the WIP thread.
Deadline is given in UK time (midnight GMT) with a grace period of 5 minutes for getting the post sorted.
Each member may cast one vote.
No cheating! Admins may decide to disqualify an entry that does not adhere to the above rules.

WINNER Microscopi

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

27 Jul 2015 23:35 #11862 by Valence
Yay, a finals thread. And I might be first one here unless someone sneaks in while I do this super-fast, correctly spelled typing. :whistle:

1: Pencil.
2: Gouache.

And now a little bit of Photoshop...

As someone who only ever sees the sky from about 50degN it seems odd to have Leo at that angle but hopefully it's about right for the African plains. If not ... sue me. :P
Attachments:

28 Jul 2015 06:30 #11865 by CherryGraphics
Hurray! Finally a finals thread :D

I love this zodiac challenge! :woohoo:

WIP 1 - first steps
WIP 2 - the wrong body
WIP 2 - almost done

My lion is a bit of the zodiac lion as he is presented in the original story with a touch of Graógramán, the colored death of Neverending Story :lol:

If I had a world of my own,everything would be nonsense.Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.

Facebook / Behance
Attachments:

30 Jul 2015 05:53 - 30 Jul 2015 05:57 #11878 by microscopi
Ok Leo Challenge accepted and finished ! :woohoo:

Going to keep it simple this time, this is going out to Cecil :(

Wip 1

Wip 2

Wip 3

Attachments:

02 Aug 2015 09:56 #11935 by Charlotte
Voting has been set up and will go on until the 9th.

The new zodiac challenge will be posted after that in order to move closer to the actual zodiac cycle.

02 Aug 2015 13:22 #11936 by Valence
CherryGraphics:
I do like your use of colour here especially having such a variety of hues. There's a wonderful rainbow-like radiance to the picture and the way you've linked the vibrant glow from the sky into the lion's mane creates a consistent unity to the image and you continue that with the swirling lines of the mane and the similar curves in the encircling magic and then again in the motifs within the ornate frame. It creates a sense of movement that leads your eye to explore every corner of the picture. The legs now provide a more sturdy foundation for his proud extended pose but I think it could be slightly improved by a softer graduation between the darker shaded form of the legs and the shining glow of the head. That cutoff point at the bottom of the mane seems a little harsh when compared to the softer flow elsewhere but I do think the idea of that transition was a good one that creates a sense of transcendence from the earthly rocks and body to the magical glow of the stars above.

Microscopi:
It took you quite a while to evolve the right idea and composition but it was worth the wait. The formality of the way this image is presented, with the bold geometric shapes of the rectangular frame containing the circle and the starburst, really suits this type of theme. You've combined all the classic Zodiac symbolism in a coherent and stylish way and the glow where the radial lines intersect the frame looks fantastic. The lion head at the centre of the fiery sun is nicely done, the light catching the eyes is just right and the shading that describes the short fur around his face is simple and accurate, matching the style of the rest of the painting. The only critique I would offer is that the mane at the top of the head looks a little neat like a cropped haircut. Some longer messier strands would give it more of a wild animal look, but the face and expression are so good that I keep expecting it to turn to us and roar like at the start of an MGM movie. And lions don't get better than that so for that reason this one sneaks the win for me.

Mercurycat:
A really nice depiction of a family in the wild. The male lion has a powerful dominant presence like a sphinx, appearing aloof as he oversees all of his lands and the cub has a needy eagerness and bounce to it as stretches up to meet the gaze of its mother. It's a three-way interaction that is all the better for its subtlety and that subtlety continues more literally into the way you've painted and suggested the receding landscape. I think the crop on the mother is a little too tight, extending the canvas to the left would allow you to include more of her body to balance the family and the composition and give you an opportunity to show more of that great landscape.

Susie1981:
Fierce, aggressive and in your face! This is a Leo that you don't want to mess with. Even though it's just a loose first sketch there's potential in the image and the deep lines show the tension and energy in the snarl. I would love to have seen how you would expand the canvas to show the mane and the surroundings and to see what exactly he's protecting as he scares us away with that ferocity.

03 Aug 2015 16:05 #11946 by CherryGraphics
Hurray another challenge to vote for! :D
micro: yep this is great. focused on the most important thing: the lion's head. I liked the first WIP with the big big mountain but the lion was too tiny so this is a nice way you've changed it slowly from tiny to biiiig. So I'm curious how you'll do the other zodiac the same style - if you do the same style. :)

Val: I'm really impressed by the way you've chosen at first with pencil and gouache. :) And the paw is now really much better :) Just the bluish night scene ... on the one hand I like it because it's different but otherwise... In my opinion the LEO deserves a more brighter, warmer color. Maybe this is the point micro gets the point this time. ^^

If I had a world of my own,everything would be nonsense.Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.

Facebook / Behance

04 Aug 2015 22:22 #11961 by Mercurycat
Three great entries. Shame I couldn't finish mine as well, but there we go. I love that each one has a different expression and color set.

Good work you guys. :cheer:

06 Aug 2015 22:38 - 06 Aug 2015 22:39 #11985 by microscopi
Tough challenge as it comes down to me and Cherry and Val again..And you guys usually beat me!

Cherry: Amazing style, the colors and style surrounding yours stands out because of the warm colors and all the small details like the swirling leaves, down too the golden vines, all go really great together. :woohoo:

Val: You have a interesting take on the theme for sure with the darker colder tone. Although I must say the lion looks pretty awesome, you did an outstanding job there. :woohoo:

Been sick for a little while or would comment more, going to go back to my bowl of chicken soup now.

11 Aug 2015 18:10 #12021 by Charlotte
Again, I almost forgot to announce the winner! :ohmy:

But this time, it's no other than MICROSCOPI!!!! Yay! Congrats :woohoo:

A new zodiac challenge will be up soon...ish... :P