April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGAN Feb 2015 - Letting off Steam - FINALS

08 Mar 2015 16:07 #9442 by microscopi
I think "letting of steam" could have more then one intrepretation. If someone's angry, they're told to go, let off steam. But if you had a hard day at work, you say, i'm going to go home and let off some steam. Personally when I think steam punk, I think movies like Wild Wild West, steam powered machines before heavy technology, but someone else might think of steam punk in an entirely different way.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

08 Mar 2015 16:57 #9443 by Charlotte
My understanding of the phrase was the same as Dom's and I chose it for the challenge precisely because it could be interpreted in more than one way. So I have to agree it's a shame these issues didn't come to light in the wip thread where they could have been cleared up before the vote. Like Valence said, it's interesting to see how different people interpret a theme - but the sooner the better perhaps? ;)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

08 Mar 2015 17:50 - 08 Mar 2015 17:51 #9445 by Domtopia
I agree (but then, I would!). I wanted to bring it up earlier, but didn't want to upset the vote.

Even if there is the idiomatic/cultural schism that Val suggested (which I don't believe to be the case!), there would still be the case that the phrase "letting off steam" means "to relax, or wind down" over here in England and therefore would still be a valid entry.

It's not that my entry wasn't voted for, it's just that it was deemed invalid arbitrarily. That felt pretty bad! And somewhat unfair!

Everything's on the right!!!

It's like driving abroad!

08 Mar 2015 21:32 #9451 by Valence
I mentioned the cultural/idiomatic thing because, before you even commented on it, I was a bit surprised by the different interpretation expressed so I googled it and was again surprised to find that many of the sites that came up only referred to the aggressive meaning where as all my life I too have thought of it in terms of relaxation. (Well, apart from that bit in Commando when Arnie kills someone by chucking a pipe at him! "Let off some steam, Bennett!")
And even though this doesn't offer extra votes I do find it fascinating.

Either way, I don't think it's a case of being invalid or disqualified, art is inherently subjective and when asked to judge, and challenges like this do ask, people will always do so from the standpoint of their own individual tastes, experience and culture. That's just the nature of voting and doesn't detract from the work you put in and the skill you showed

08 Mar 2015 21:48 #9453 by Domtopia
Fair enough.

08 Mar 2015 23:50 #9458 by Digital Dave
Congrats Cherry. :)

Similarly here, Dom. Apologies for the misinterpretation on my part. (As I stated, I think it's a fantastic image, and was actually one of my favorites. And I did actually think you were going to add some Steam Punk items to it before the end.) ... As I stated, I personally thought the brief was aimed more toward the 'Steam Punk Style' in general, (maybe because of the discussion on the theme in the monthly suggestion section? I'm not sure?) But not being that familiar with this style, I also tried to think of it's other possible meaning/s, which led me to the releasing of anger, cooling down a hothead, etc.

Oddly, at first, I too thought a day out on the water getting in some relaxing fishing somehow did indeed fit the theme. But I still wasn't sure if this was right, and kept second guessing myself on it's meaning. So I even looked up the meaning of 'letting off steam', to which I found nothing that pointed at relaxing or chilling out, but instead got things such as blowing off pent up anger, letting loose harsh thoughts, cooling down before speaking, ext. Such as described in this example screenshot below.

Making no excuse as to my limited time I had during the challenge, thinking back, I should have inquired beforehand when I was unsure and not assumed what you might do with the image. I will make sure to do just that, whenever I'm unsure of a theme's meaning in the future. Again, apologies.

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D
Attachments:

09 Mar 2015 06:30 #9461 by CherryGraphics
Oh wow. :woohoo:

This is how a Monday should begin. Always. Or shouldn't start at all :whistle:

Thank you so much *___* :blush: :woohoo:

It's sad to see when someone feels unfairly treated. It was hard to keep the original brief in mind when everybody else is doing Steam Punk instead of anything else, but I always liked how you Dom put the 2 meanings together: the robot/steam punk style and the literal meaning.

If I had a world of my own,everything would be nonsense.Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.

Facebook / Behance

09 Mar 2015 21:28 #9470 by Domtopia

It was hard to keep the original brief in mind when everybody else is doing Steam Punk instead of anything else, but I always liked how you Dom put the 2 meanings together: the robot/steam punk style and the literal meaning.

Thanks Cherry! That's what I was trying to go for!! Ace, thanks!!!

09 Mar 2015 22:18 #9471 by microscopi

Letting off Steam

Brief: It seemed in the suggestions thread that a steampunk theme would be appreciated. Can't be too predictable and post the exact one suggested though :P But here it is. Steampunk (or not, if you have other ideas!)

I thought we were all aiming to do crazy steam punk pics from the beginning, the Title was just changed as to not have the same idea, but it's just a title.?

I thought it was all about the steam punk.., as was the original muse for this month's theme, there's only a small bit where it says "if you have other ideas" Just my take on things..

09 Mar 2015 22:41 #9472 by Domtopia
Letting off steam was actually my idea in the suggestions thread! I thought it would be cool to do something steampunk, but not necessarily!

It doesn't matter anyway. I had a lot of fun doing the Prime painting and it taught me a lot too! It was a good challenge!