April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGAN August 2014 Challenge - Ode to Banj

05 Sep 2014 15:31 #5919 by Thomgirl
These are all fun!

1. Digital Dave - I just... something about it just made me laugh and your style works so well with this sort of topic, nice job!

2. Kodabble - Like Dave's, another that just really made me smile and give warm fuzzies. You captured the crew in such a great way using their avatars :) Charlotte's was done particuarly well. I hope you still polish up the background a bit more even though the challenge is over.

3. SchizophreniaWolf - If I were judging entirely on skill and attention to detail, this would have been my top choice. There is a total creep factor to this, but in a very juxtaposed light hearted way. I am really impressed that you can pull that off so well. Great job!

Kuddos to everyone on all the obvious hard work put into these!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

05 Sep 2014 20:00 #5929 by Digital Dave
Nice works everyone.

1 - Micro
2 - AngieA
3 - Kodabble

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

05 Sep 2014 22:34 - 05 Sep 2014 22:36 #5939 by microscopi
Hard to choose.
(1) Schizo - Great image, really love the cat, and the details surrounding him are tight, interesting stuff, dark yet funny at the same time.
(2) Koddable - Really awesome characters, expressions are great and the scenery is just as detailed and works perfect with the storytelling.
(3) Dave - So much detail in yours, everything looks sharp, lighting and shadows and all the colors work well, really like all the character designs.

Oak - Really impressed with how your stuff is getting better, the mood you went for was a good idea and the perspective of all the banners and the hallway and character poses are spot on, great job.

AngieA - Really like your pic, the hamster looks awesome, like the details of the other characters too and the idea you had was cool.

06 Sep 2014 02:50 #5946 by Kodabble
Having a hard time with this, They are all good for very different reasons. OK here goes:
1) Microscopi – Like the movie poster look. Really nice work on the hamster armor including the comb on the top that makes you wonder if it his fur in a Mohawk. The queen cat worked out very nicely. I see you did cut out the Binky character.
2) Digital Dave – Like the humorous theme of this and the use of all the characters. The colors are nice and bright which adds to the cuteness of your theme.
3) AngieA – You put some great elements in this one. I especially like the button needle and thimble as his armor also the use of the wheel as the door handle was a nice addition.

SchizophreniaWolf – Even though it is a very dark theme compared to the others it is well executed and thought out. I didn’t put it in the top three because I didn’t feel it followed the challenge brief. I do like the expression on the evil cat and the spring headed webmaster adds a touch of humor.
Oaktree – Like the atmosphere on this piece worked out really well. Glad you worked the wheel back in. Only thing I wasn’t sure of was your central character with the creature on his shoulder. Originally I thought it was supposed to be Banj and Binky, but I see Banj in the doorway on the right.

07 Sep 2014 20:37 #5988 by oaktree
Good work all
1 - Micro
2 - AngieA
3 - Kodabble

08 Sep 2014 07:05 #5992 by SchizophreniaWolf
1. AngieA: the thimble is a funny idea, and I like how the hamster rages towards the audience, funny aditude: I TAKE MY DUTY VERY SERIOUSLY!! GRRR!!!.
2. microscopi: I said it before, I love the queen-cat. One thing, her ears are funny, but whatever. She's a queen so she's alowed to have funny ears. I don't like the head of the hamster, it's hard to see where the helmet starts for instance. But nice composition.
3. oaktree: Nice mood, but what's up with the ears of the cat? Is that subsurface scattering? The yellow character looks like "monsieur oizo" :lol:

08 Sep 2014 15:02 #6010 by Charlotte
OK, nobody's cried for more time, though I see a couple of you voted after the end of the voting time. Since we've had login issues and not that many voted at all, I'll count all votes, though.

So here are the results:
SchizophreniaWolf 7
AngieA 8
microscopi 11
DigitalDave 6
oaktree 3
Kodabble 7

And the winner is, with his epic poster for the movie about the Hamster of the Round Table, is MICROSCOPI! Congrats micro! :)

Some feedback for everyone, from me:

SchizophreniaWolf
I think this is a great image. It's a little bit too close for comfort with regards to "overpainting", in my taste, but you've also openly showed how you worked with this. And it's clear you didn't copy or trace your references slavishly either. The end result might not be a fantasy type knight, but I like the idea of a modern secret hacker type hero as well. (Although in reality I don't really like hackers. :P Not if they mess up my 'puter, anyway!)

AngieA
I like how we get a glimpse of the throne room (and the scared cat queen er... king) while literally being shooed away by the ferocious hamster with his needle and button shield! I know I have a habit of over detailing everything to the same degree, but I think I would have liked the background to be at least a bit more crisp. Maybe.

microscopi
I like all the characters in this one from the steampunkey webmaster in the back and the cat queen, to the detailed armour of Banj the hamster knight. I do agree that it's a little too hard to tell the head and the helmet apart, and I have to admit that the rounded decor on his chest plate makes me think of boobies (not the bird type) but I do think the decor is very well painted. Perhaps the blending of the characters into the background could have been more subtle but that's something I often struggle with as well.

Digital Dave
I really like the repainted wall, it works much better than the yellow bricks I think! Banj doesn't look like much of a knight - yet - but I guess that's why King Cat looks so ready to give up. :P Lovely bit of story telling and humour.

oaktree
I like how you incorporated the wheel into the image - I was a bit nervous when you removed it and very happy when you put it back in! The previous, colourful, flags were a nice touch but as was said back then they drew the eye a bit much. Now the character's face is certainly the focal point. I have to admit I'm not sure who's who in this image, though - except I guess the cat is the king/queen (darn I should have just said regent in the brief). And I agree the cat's ears look a bit funny - cats' ears are translucent but I think the fur on the head should provide a bit of a smoother transition from opaque to translucent. Perhaps a stronger rimlight would have made it look more natural, as well? A final nitpick is that I'd have liked to see some atmospheric perspective on the four "foreground flags" - they seem to have the same values and colour both nearest to us and closer to the opening in the wall. They also seem rather detached from the world around them, with no cast shadows. I think they should perhaps have gone a bit paler towards the light.

Kodabble
This has a lovely storybook feel to it, like other have said! Judging from the difference in style/detail of the hamster and the background I think it would have benefitted from a bit more time, but I'm glad you had time to enter the finals. And I love the dodo :)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

08 Sep 2014 20:20 #6019 by Kodabble
Congrats Microscopi, nice job :cheer: !

08 Sep 2014 22:00 #6021 by AngieA
Congrats Micro. :cheer:

Thanks for the feedback Charlotte. You are so right about my background, I did get carried away with the blur.

08 Sep 2014 22:35 #6024 by Domtopia
Well done Mic!

Charlotte, your point is well taken. I totally forgot to vote!!

Everything's on the right!!!

It's like driving abroad!