April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Zodiac challenge - Cancer

21 Jul 2014 18:56 - 21 Jul 2014 18:57 #3749 by kazky
Cancer - 22nd June - 22nd July

This challenge will run for the entire zodiac year and work with the timescale of each zodiac sign
This is a 'just for fun' challenge, but you will have a lovely set of horoscope images if you choose to take part.

We will be sticking to the western zodiac, apologies to other zodiacs :)

Research each sign and depict it however you interpret it. Include the name of the sign somewhere in the image.
Rules in brief:
  • All challenge entries must be your own work.
  • You should post at least two WIP images that are clearly different from your final entry and each other.
  • Your final entry should contain your image (inserted so it shows up full size) and at least two links to your WIP posts on the forum.
  • No chatter in the finals thread – if you have questions, post them in the WIP thread or PM an admin.
  • Feedback is allowed & encouraged together with the voting and in the WIP thread.
  • Deadline is given in UK time (midnight GMT) with a grace period of 5 minutes for getting the post sorted.
  • Each member may cast one set of votes, for their 3 favourites.
  • No cheating! Admins may decide to disqualify an entry that does not adhere to the above rules.

closing date for this challenge is 22nd July

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

22 Jul 2014 20:54 - 22 Jul 2014 20:56 #3864 by Thomgirl
Replied by Thomgirl on topic Zodiac challenge - Cancer
I have a sneaky feeling I'll be the only one here this time around, but here she is: Cancer.
Due to some getting used to the forum issues around here, all my posts got put to the same image of my WIPs :( I'm attaching an older screenshot in place for my WIP1 to make up for it. Sorry guys :( I understand if I need to be disqualified for it.
WIP 1:

WIP 2: cgartnexus.com/forums/challenge-wips/66-...hallenge-cancer#3738

Final:
Attachments:

23 Jul 2014 01:05 #3876 by RebeccaWeaver
Nope, I'm in! Got caught up in a lot of real life happenings, but I managed to hurry up and finish!

My WIPs: cgartnexus.com/forums/challenge-wips/66-...challenge-cancer#771

23 Jul 2014 18:48 #3962 by kazky
Replied by kazky on topic Zodiac challenge - Cancer
Well done both of you, beautiful images, let's start the vote, we're going to keep voting to a short time
Vote for your favourite 1st and 2nd entry
Voting will close on Saturday night.

23 Jul 2014 19:04 #3964 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Zodiac challenge - Cancer
ooooooooooooooooooooooh but I can't decide! I think both these images are so lovely in their own ways. Rebeccas with the colours, and those eyes, and the way the sign of cancer was made into jewellery, and the texture too... And Thomgirls, again the eyes are wonderful, the hair is looking great and I'm glad you added that pattern on her arms and legs because they looked a little too smooth compared to the rest of the detail.

But unless kazky will allow me to vote both as #1, I guess it becomes this (by the merest fraction)
1) Rebecca
2) Thomgirl

Btw what's the next sign!? I have to try to get back in on this!

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

23 Jul 2014 19:10 #3966 by kazky
Replied by kazky on topic Zodiac challenge - Cancer
I genuinely think this is one of the hardest votes, they are both such beautiful and accomplished images. I couldn't choose.

Next challenge us up Charlotte, on to Leo :)

23 Jul 2014 19:15 #3967 by Atto
Replied by Atto on topic Zodiac challenge - Cancer
Holy Cow ladies these are both absolutely beautiful!
Agreed I wish I could also vote both for No1.......but such is life so..
1) Rebecca
2) Thomgirl

These have really set the benchmark for next month.

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.

23 Jul 2014 19:17 #3968 by Digital Dave
My thoughts are very similar to Charlotte's. Both are wonderfully painted, with very creative themes/designs to them. :) Well done to both of you ladies. :wink: ... And as much as I like grayscale imagery, I think the colors won me over for this one.

1 - Rebecca
2 - Thomgirl

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

24 Jul 2014 03:27 - 24 Jul 2014 03:28 #4013 by microscopi
The amount of detail in both images is astounding, I agree with everyone so much talent with both images, fitting that much detail and shading into greyscale was really well done, although the colors and blending were perfectly done too, ahh :?

1. Thomgirl
2. Rebecca

24 Jul 2014 07:00 #4019 by Thomgirl
Replied by Thomgirl on topic Zodiac challenge - Cancer
Even though it was just the two of us, this was a really fun cycle. Rebecca, I am so glad you made it to the finals :) Lovely work, great choice in colors, symbolism and just that sort of alien but sublime quality to her look really makes it stand out :)

My votes and for the first time voting for myself in one of these since there's only two of us (very awkward, but I think I gave it a fair shake ;) Thanks for the kind words everyone!).
1) Rebecca
2) Thomgirl