April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Totally Random

10 Oct 2017 17:03 #18583 by Digital Dave
Replied by Digital Dave on topic Totally Random
Funny thing, I too thoroughly enjoyed the LOTR series. But have yet to watch any of the Hobbit movies.

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 Oct 2017 17:16 - 10 Oct 2017 17:21 #18584 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Totally Random

And the star wars movies?

• The Force Awakens is made by people who must have never seen a Star Wars film, but had it described to them in a quick list of plot points.
  • Dialogue is not Star Wars dialogue in any way.
  • Characters make decisions based on what the plot needs them to do regardless of whether it makes any sense for their character (I use the term character in it's loosest sense) to make such decisions. There is no natural flow to the story as there was in the original, events happen to check them off the list of events that have to happen. This also leads to a ridiculous number of contrivances relied on to get one character to meet another character because "er... they have to meet so this can happen".
  • The plot, despite main story beats being copied directly from the original film, actually makes no sense at all.
  • It looks like a cheap TV movie despite costing more than any of the other Star Wars films (Abrams has no visual sensibility at all he just apes Spielberg with no unique creative voice of his own).
  • It has one of the most ineffectual, whiny villains I have ever seen, and makes the stupid mistake of immediately undermining any threat he might have had right at the beginning of the film (they tried to imitate a similar moment from the original but didn't understand why it worked, which is a problem that occurs all the way through).
  • The writers appear not to understand their own timeline (which also goes back to the plot making no sense).

That's just some complaints I have. I could go on.

10 Oct 2017 17:20 - 10 Oct 2017 17:21 #18585 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Totally Random
You're a harsh critic. I usually just watch, enjoy and forget. I did find the new villain fairly er... unvillainy though. And that prequel they did, annoyed me quite a bit... (I can't keep track of which movie is which by using the names, so I'll just not even try to remember what it was called..)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

10 Oct 2017 17:44 #18586 by Banj

You're a harsh critic. I usually just watch, enjoy and forget. I did find the new villain fairly er... unvillainy though. And that prequel they did, annoyed me quite a bit... (I can't keep track of which movie is which by using the names, so I'll just not even try to remember what it was called..)

Anakin Skywalker could certainly be considered a whiny brat. The Force awakens managed to produce someone even worse.

The prequels are not without their problems, but Lucas does at least have an understanding of basic storytelling and some visual sense, he also has inventiveness and creativity which Abrams appears to be devoid of. The prequels, while clunky and awkward, are still "Star Wars" in my opinion while TFA is a film that just mimics some tropes of Star Wars but really isn't anything like the real thing.

10 Oct 2017 18:00 #18589 by Charlotte
not sure we're talking the same prequels? I mean the one that's not one of the planned 9, and where the male lead follows the female round like a lost puppy...

10 Oct 2017 18:09 - 10 Oct 2017 18:28 #18593 by Banj

I mean the one that's not one of the planned 9

:dry: :huh:

Original trilogy:
IV A New Hope (original Star Wars film)
V The Empire Strikes Back
VI Return of the Jedi

Prequels:
I The Phantom Menace (much too young annoying Anakin)
II Attack of the Clones (Older whiny sulky Anakin)
III Revenge of the Sith (bit older still whiny then turns evil Anakin/Vader)

EDIT - Unless you are talking about Rogue One? I have no idea if there are any whiny idiots in that because I haven't seen it.

10 Oct 2017 18:27 #18595 by Charlotte
nooooo the one that shows what happened beforehmm... I think before a new hope? *googles*

ROGUE ONE! That's the one I mean. That one was annoying.

10 Oct 2017 18:28 #18596 by Banj
Ah, was just editing my post as you were writing yours lol.

10 Oct 2017 18:41 #18598 by Charlotte
so you say...

I can't remember about whiney... I think the girl was a lot of "I don't wanna do this" but then she did everything she was asked anyway, and sometimes it made sense because she wanted to find her father and sometimes nothing made sense. And the male lead "proved" early on that he was a cold character and the moment this grumpy girl shows up he's all puppy eyes. And it's like half the scenes are adapted so that we will either see his puppy face or the two of them will have a more or less awkward encounter.

The robot was kinda funny though.

13 Oct 2017 14:08 #18637 by Charlotte
Yes I know, we left this behind but.... If kazky counts as two, I must be counted as three. And I don't even have any pets. Not sure if I approve of this? Unless it means I'm very important... Then I approve.

Attachments: