April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Totally Random

14 Aug 2017 17:23 - 14 Aug 2017 17:24 #17633 by Digital Dave
Replied by Digital Dave on topic Totally Random

And I thought it was silly when American companies (or British for that matter) redo movies or TV series in English instead of just subtitling, like you folks can't read... :blink: Maybe they think you Americans don't understand British? :p

Well first, for me anyway, I have to say that I can't stand sub-titles myself. I want to watch the scene with the dialog, and not spend all my time reading it, while meanwhile the scenes just move past in my peripheral vision and I'm missing good stuff in the BG, or the special effects. ... But yes, it's also said by some of the idiots we have here 'but I can't understand anything they say!' :whistle: ... What jack-asses... Personally, I probably watch more UK based shows than American shows. Enjoy them more too. Not to mention all the actors we have now across the boards that have British accents. You would think people would adapt by now.

If anything, the stronger, Middle-Eastern Indian accents are a lot harder for me to understand at times, and there is a big group of folks here that work for the county government that I deal with regularly. And it's still hard to understand their English at times.

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 Aug 2017 17:30 #17634 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Totally Random
:P I have a coworker who won't claim to be very good in English, but says she's fluent in Indian English (and she says it like the Indians say it). Her and her family have visited India several times and have like "an extra family" there.

(Might not have been the same kind of indians.... I don't know if american indians have accents... other than the american dialects, that is...)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

14 Aug 2017 21:56 - 14 Aug 2017 22:04 #17640 by Digital Dave
American Indians do have an accent when speaking English, but they also have their own languages as well. Of course as time has passed, the younger generations now speak it clearer and it's not always as noticeable. But they still teach their young-ans to this day, the language of their origins, be it Cherokee, Shawnee, etc.

I've always been told I'm English, Irish and Indian - (Cherokee, I believe? but considering myself just human is plenty for me. :) ... What pisses me off is when someone who has lived in the US their entire lives, but use their heritage to protest and complain about everything they don't like. Don't get me wrong, there are some that generally care and will take part for the right reasons, but sadly, I've found in my lifetime that most are just looking for an excuse to act like an ^@%$! ... Yes, I'm trying to be nice. :lol:

As for your co-worker, yeah, we get a lot of the same here for folks who speak predominately Spanish. (Or sometimes referred as 'Spanglish') which is a language that has grown quite huge in recent years.

15 Aug 2017 01:47 - 15 Aug 2017 01:49 #17642 by Digital Dave

never seen GoT, breaking bad, broadchurch etc. It just seems too much investment of my time. The exception is The Walking Dead, just because it’s zombies, & I avidly watched Lost. I kind of like to drop in & out of tv

I enjoy the Walking Dead as well, and believe the new season starts back up in September? Though, not a big fan of the spin-off, 'Fear the Walking Dead'. I have watched some just to give it a chance, but it's mostly filler until the original came back on. Don't believe I watch any of the latest season? ... But if you ever do decide to watch any you have named, Breaking Bad actually was a good series. And with only 5 seasons, it's not too long, or as long as some others. Lots of action, drama, etc., and pretty good story telling. ... I didn't watch it until it was in it's 3rd or 4th season myself. But since it's on Netflix, It wasn't too hard to watch some here and there.

But as for the Walking Dead... well, they've had some characters on there that I just couldn't stand, and don't mind telling ya, I always rooted for the Zombies when they were involved. Until they ate it! ;) Pun intended of course! :lol:

Hey, and why don't we have any Zombie emojis anyway? ...New challenge maybe? :excited:

15 Aug 2017 09:42 #17643 by kazky
Replied by kazky on topic Totally Random
I can’t get into Fear the Walking Dead either Dave, there’s just something missing with it. It started quite god for the first 3 or 4 episodes then just got dull

15 Aug 2017 11:23 #17644 by Digital Dave
I agree totally. I'm not sure if they tried too hard, or just threw in way too many story lines, but it definitely doesn't have the same feel. I think the Walking Dead did a lot better job with it's story telling, and when you think about it, it's been mostly aimed at the one group as a whole. And I think viewers related to that easier.

I'm the same with Lost. Never watched it while it was on weekly, but did enjoy it when I watched it on Netflix. Though it might have been a larger group in whole, it was still a group and not segmented into a bunch of different story lines. ... I think the jumping back and forth so much is what kills it for most viewers.

15 Aug 2017 11:49 - 15 Aug 2017 11:50 #17650 by Charlotte

Hey, and why don't we have any Zombie emojis anyway? ...New challenge maybe? :excited:

Well that's a thought... I was just thinking how Banj's made the :cry: emoji because I was er... crying for one... and now he's made a :eyeroll: one so he can do that at me when I cry for things, or get generally confused about things... It seems to happen a lot... but we've nothing for kazky. She usually seems happy with the :lol: one, but maybe... What do you think kaz? :p

15 Aug 2017 12:05 #17655 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Totally Random
We have :dead:

15 Aug 2017 12:06 #17657 by Charlotte
:dry: zombies are UNdead...

15 Aug 2017 12:08 #17658 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Totally Random
:eyeroll: