April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Totally Random

28 Jul 2017 21:17 #17130 by Dragon6261
Replied by Dragon6261 on topic Totally Random
I Frankenstein was mainly about his creation, Dr. Frankenstein was only mentioned briefly about his murder.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

28 Jul 2017 21:25 #17131 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Totally Random
My point exactly :)
Even if the very last line was "I, Frankenstein"

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

29 Jul 2017 13:05 #17134 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Totally Random
I've tried hard to erase "I, Frankenstein" from my memory but I still remember being so appalled by it that I looked it up on Rotten Tomatoes to see how low its score was.

Has there ever been a really good Frankenstein movie? The one with Robert DeNiro is probably the best I can recall but even that was a bit ropey. The last one I saw was that one with Daniel Radcliffe which was a bit drab but at least it really was about Frankenstein. :)

29 Jul 2017 13:19 #17135 by Charlotte
:P I didn't find it that appalling. Not quite anyhow. BUt I agree the deNiro one is probably the best so far. Perhaps it's one of those stories that just works best in your head as you read it? I haven't seen or heard of the radcliffe one. I did see a movie with DR as some sort of demonic avenger after his girlfriend was murdered. "Horns"? Also a bit odd and not all that great. Although the secenes where people reacted (or did not react) to his horns were kinda fun.

29 Jul 2017 13:29 #17137 by Valence
Horns was very weird, it just about worked despite the mood varying wildly between horror and comedy. But "not-Harry Potter" was better than I thought he would be in that kind of film. :)

29 Jul 2017 13:41 #17139 by Charlotte
Yeah I was surprised as well. I never really saw him as a good actor in the Potter movies :P And he was one of the kids who didn't "grow up right" either. The others were still perfect for the roles when older (still love the Neville Longbottom guy), but I dunno... He was a cute dark haired little kid in the first movie and I guess that's all they looked for... His acting did improve somewhat over the years though :P

29 Jul 2017 13:56 - 29 Jul 2017 14:43 #17141 by Valence
Alan Rickman is the real star of the Harry Potter movies with that wonderful way in which he talks in individual words rather than sentences, with each long pause cranking up the sneering resentment. When he's on screen he's absolutely brilliant and when he's not on screen you're just waiting for him to appear again.
I still think of them as The Professor Snape Movies, who cares about those pesky kids. :lol:

29 Jul 2017 14:09 #17142 by Charlotte
:lol: ah yes he was brilliant. But I think many of the other actors were very well chosen too. I remember wondering who the heck Emma Thompson would portray and didn't believe my eyes when Trelawney appeared. And I really wondered who'd play that awful umbridge woman and that did work out. She's not as toadlike as described in the books, but still...

29 Jul 2017 18:35 #17143 by em...
Replied by em... on topic Totally Random

Has there ever been a really good Frankenstein movie?

Bride of Frankenstein is probably my favourite horror movie. It's a remarkable piece of filmmaking and still mostly holds up today.

A good version that's accurate to the book, though? I don't think so.

30 Jul 2017 08:40 #17146 by Charlotte
I've never seen any of those really old ones. Was wondering if they might be up to scratch :)