April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Totally Random

22 Jun 2017 10:38 #16572 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Totally Random
Her name is actually Philomena Cunk? Sounds like something out of Harry Potter... But yes that would be the other Brian Cox. I'm sure there are only those two Brian Coxes on our entire planet...

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

22 Jun 2017 10:54 #16573 by kazky
Replied by kazky on topic Totally Random
One never simply says 'Brian Cox' one says 'Professor Brrriiiiiiaaaaannnn Cox'

22 Jun 2017 11:08 #16574 by Charlotte
:dry: oh :aha:

23 Jun 2017 15:05 #16576 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Totally Random
I never liked Manhunter that much (although Tom Noonan is always watchable.) That particular Brian Cox seemed to play the character as being easily bored with everything (which is the opposite of how he's described in the books) and a lot of Michael Mann's films just look like 80's TV movies to me, with too many shots of boats, seascapes, cheesy music and far too much of the colour blue, like he's constantly trying to remake Miami Vice with different characters.
And yet I know there is a very large number of people who rate Manhunter as the best Hannibal Lecter film and even the original author Thomas Harris seems to prefer it. :shrug:
Then again, Stephen King didn't like the movie of The Shining so what do the hell authors know about their own work! Pfft!

23 Jun 2017 15:07 #16577 by Charlotte
Indeed. Or artists about what they're actually depicting...

I can't recall seeing any hannibal movies all through except for silence of the lambs. Oh wait, red dragon too, maybe. But I always prefered the books.

23 Jun 2017 15:11 #16578 by Charlotte
Speaking of Iron Sky, which I watched the other day and which contained mention of the Dictator by Chaplin, it seems the Dictator in question is actually on TV tonight...

23 Jun 2017 16:17 #16580 by Valence
Don't know about Iron Sky, would have to google. :)

I've never seen The Great Dictator but I'm overly familiar with that epic speech he gives about "machine men with their machine minds." It features on far too many YouTube videos, even saw a Star Wars version of it once. :lol:

23 Jun 2017 17:49 - 23 Jun 2017 21:15 #16582 by Charlotte

EDIT: After seeing this video I have to say seeing the original was kind of ruined for me. I couldn't quite get Trump's smug face out of my head. The rest of the movie was still enjoyable though. Especially "The Phooeys" speaches which contained a lot of Wienersnitzel und Saurkraut. And the line "He's a little horse"... :giggle:

27 Jun 2017 12:31 #16597 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Totally Random

I never liked Manhunter that much (although Tom Noonan is always watchable.) That particular Brian Cox seemed to play the character as being easily bored with everything (which is the opposite of how he's described in the books) and a lot of Michael Mann's films just look like 80's TV movies to me, with too many shots of boats, seascapes, cheesy music and far too much of the colour blue, like he's constantly trying to remake Miami Vice with different characters.
And yet I know there is a very large number of people who rate Manhunter as the best Hannibal Lecter film and even the original author Thomas Harris seems to prefer it. :shrug:
Then again, Stephen King didn't like the movie of The Shining so what do the hell authors know about their own work! Pfft!

I'm not particularly fond of Mann's work either, but I do consider Manhunter to be very good. It is certainly a much better version of the story than Ratner's Red Dragon.

Not that proof was needed, but King's own adaptation of The Shining proves beyond any doubt that he knows nothing about adapting his own work for the screen.

27 Jun 2017 18:30 #16619 by Valence
At least Red Dragon had that tasty painting in it. :)
But it did have Edward Norton in it too. :(