April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Totally Random

18 Dec 2020 08:21 #32737 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Totally Random
:stare:
Merlin kept me awake until about 3 am last night, trying to make Gandalf play tags or something. He was wooshing back and forth in the apartment while G just lay on the floor looking at him...
Then he started up again around 7 am, and perhaps around 8-ish? One of the cats decided to chase the other by way of my head. So now I have bleeding scratches on my shoulder and scalp. :stare:

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

19 Dec 2020 14:50 - 19 Dec 2020 14:52 #32750 by Charlotte
So, BoredPanda had a "submit your own latest artwork" thread... and several people uploaded stolen art... :eyeroll:

Even after several of them have been exposed (Two of them had stolen art with signatures on them... :dry:) someone uploaded one of those art filter photographs. I politely asked if it was really painted rather than using filters since the image aligned perfectly with the original, and she said yes and she's stopped sharing her art online because of such comments as mine. Then she posted something that was supposed to be a wip. Called her out on that too... Just thought I'd share.

Only the background isn't entirely identical. And yeah, photorealistic artists work like that. They finish the teeth before they even outline the shape of the head. :eyeroll:

Those with signature pics defended themselves like this:
1) Yes I know that art selling site has my artwork under another person's name - he asked if he could borrow it from me. I finished it a few days ago.
- The actual artist published the image (along with dozens in the exact same style) on his Instagram 2 years ago. The image had the text "Love" and "Joy" on it. The artist's name is Lovejoy.

2) It's not my art, it's my sisters, I uploaded it without her permission.
- It was signed Maas - Justin Maas painted it 2 years ago. Though I guess he *could* be transgender (and have a different surname from her). :hmm:

Attachments:

19 Dec 2020 20:32 #32763 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Totally Random
At least they didn't "paint" the Getty Images logo. :dry:

19 Dec 2020 20:47 #32765 by Charlotte
which possibly means they paid for an image to use filters on :P
they seem to be a fan of this guy - they've posted another of their images, made to look like a pencil drawing, in another bored panda thread/page. I didn't bother looking into it or saying anything at that time, though.

20 Dec 2020 02:41 - 20 Dec 2020 03:48 #32773 by Charlotte
Nope, not sleeping. Not the cats fault either. I seem to just be used to not sleeping in the wee hours now....

also, that person who made the above image now claims it's pointillism. (And a third person is claiming I know nothing on the subject and should leave the "artist" alone because they too always started by painting in the teeth.)

EDIT: It's strange. So many people online "fake art" by using art filters on photos. Yet it seems impossible to find anything online about this. Or is that just me? I can find apps that apply such filters and discussions on how they're used and whether its art or not, but nothing about people lying and claiming it's actually a painting... Maybe I'm the only person in the world who cares :S

20 Dec 2020 12:49 #32776 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Totally Random
I think people probably don't bother because it's easy enough to spot photo filters and it feels like a waste of energy arguing with them. The bigger problem in the future will be those AI thing like Artbreeder. As those develop and improve there'll be no need for people to paint anything anymore. :(

20 Dec 2020 13:32 #32778 by Charlotte
I think there will always be room for artsy people, but yeah, professionally and to speed up the process, the computers will probably do more and more.

That girl posted another pic of the same musician this time saying it's pen and charcoal, do I still think she's lying? (Yes I do, and that background and shirt looks very digitally smooth and not like traditional media at all, but like you said it's a waste of energy so I didn't bother...) It bugs me that these "filtered" photos are easy to spot, yet hard to prove. Someone outright stealing someone else's work is so much easier to shame :P

21 Dec 2020 11:36 #32795 by Charlotte
Swedish news says there might be a shortage of food in the UK soon :ohmy:
It's a good thing you can always find spam, online :dumb:

21 Dec 2020 11:40 #32796 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Totally Random
:ohmy: So... where did all the food go then?

21 Dec 2020 11:55 #32797 by Charlotte
you ate it all... :dry:
(and deliveries get stopped at the border due to the mutated zombie virus)