April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Totally Random

19 Mar 2019 18:10 - 19 Mar 2019 18:18 #24166 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Totally Random
:ohmy: *is watching a documentary on the flat earth theory*
(well, more like random interviews with flat earthers attending a conference in Denver)

Explaining why the flat earth needs to have a dome that's very high up:
"Well, otherwise you'd get a very flat dome. Can't have that." (But a flat earth is fine...)

Another gem:
"If you go really high above the disc of the earth you might see it's thickness" (you'd have to leave the dome to do that, duh *cough*)

We know thre's a dome because of the rainbow.

Apparently thinking for oneself is very important to flat earthers. Too bad they don't seem to be very good at it...

Their "experts" seem to have studied the "issue" for about two years, by watching youtube videos. Well, ya that's "thinking for yourself", right? Also it's "all connected" (the earth is flat because vaccines spread disease because there's a rich elite ruling the world...)

:eyeroll:
too bad the documentary was more of a personal observation on the filmer's part than what I'd normally consider a documentary (more facts, less in the bedroom talking into the camera at the end of the day stuff)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

19 Mar 2019 21:18 #24167 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Totally Random
I just can't watch those things. They just make me angry. Better to just pretend they don't exist.

20 Mar 2019 08:11 #24168 by Charlotte
well, I thought it was funny. But it's also tragic. What makes me annoyed is when the documentary itself (or in this case random musings from the maker) sort of leaves "the door open" for continued arguments about something that's nonsense. Kind of like in climate debates when they let one person represent 3% and one 97% of the scientific community making it look like it's a 50-50 kind of debate...

(Or like Morgan Freeman's series on searching for God, where he keeps saying that he'll look for origins of this or that belief and then he just takes a priest or rabbi or something on his word for what happened and doesn't question further - it's obvious that he already believes and isn't really looking for anything but confirmation...)

The people at the conference complained that no scientists were willing to come and have a debate with them and said it was because they knew they were lying. More likely they didn't want to waste their time... :p

20 Mar 2019 10:48 #24169 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Totally Random
I can't pretend this stuff doesn't exist, I would miss comedy gold like this...

It's as entertaining as that documentary about The Shining being Stanley Kubrick's confession that he faked the Moon landing.

20 Mar 2019 21:25 #24181 by Valence
Still not watching (even if it is being ironic.) I'd just want to punch him (or someone) in their flat face. :)

And those scientists don't take part in debates because you can't reason against stupidity and wanton ignorance. For a discussion to happen it requires both sides to have a credible theory of knowledge and to understand conceptually what Evidence actually is and how logical inference can lead you to an inevitable conclusion. Questioning wisdom and authority is a good thing, but you can't do it without the basic skills of knowing how to think and how to recognise when something is right or wrong.

21 Mar 2019 07:13 #24183 by Charlotte
I only managed 2 minutes in. He obviously doesn't understand that even if a plane "dips it's nose" as it flies around the curved earth, a spirit level would still show it as being "straight" above that point in the earth surface.... :dry:

Calling himself a realist, too. An insult to true realists. :P

25 Mar 2019 17:49 #24227 by Charlotte
:blink:
There's a "new" Magnum PI? *hadn't noticed*
Maybe I should watch it (1st episode on Swedish TV tonight...)

25 Mar 2019 17:59 #24228 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Totally Random
:blink: :unsure:

25 Mar 2019 21:16 #24230 by Valence
Yeah, I've seen the ads for that.
Surely it's not the same without Tom Selleck and his hairy top lip, his hairy chest and his hairy... well, whatever. :dry:

But it's good to know that the TV studios aren't running out of ideas. I'm still waiting for the dark and gritty Buck Rogers reboot.

26 Mar 2019 07:52 #24231 by Charlotte
...legs?

Aren't reboots a sign that they ARE running out of ideas? :P

Anyway, it was watchable, but it was indeed odd to have the usual narrative voice but no Selleck. Also that little rotund Higgins is now a pretty former MI6 agent (female). And I still don't like Rick.

Well, at least I think I like it better than the Hawaii 5-O reboot. I watched it as a kid and remember it as fun, but the constant bickering between Garret and whatshisname in the new version, always leaves me in a bad mood. The only good thing about it is the theme music :P