April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Story Game v2.0

26 Apr 2018 19:33 - 26 Apr 2018 19:35 #20937 by Charlotte
Story Game v2.0 was created by Charlotte
I felt like doing some writing... maybe someone else wants to take up the challenge and continue? :)

Not sure if anyone's the slightest bit interested but I thought it could be fun to develop a story where everyone who wants to participate tried to focus on their own character while still making it all a coherent something :p

Oh and if you think this is uninteresting or silly, you're not allowed to laugh at me. I have the ban button! Well, OK, Banj hid it somewhere, but I know what he fears :evil:

Yana, 2 days before reaching planetary orbit
She stared eagerly at the wall sized screen showing a view of the approaching planet. It was so green. Lushly and disorderly covered in forests from horizon to horizon, but here and there she could see water glittering and mountain peaks rising up over the tree tops and into the clouds. This would be her first time down-planet and she was understandably excited. All her studies and lab work and everything she dreamed of was about to become tangible reality. She wondered what they’d find beneath that green cover. They had already analyzed the atmosphere and the chemical make-up of the planet from a far distance. They thought they had a pretty good idea of the kind of life forms that could inhabit this world. But they’d never know exactly what they were until they went down there, and saw for themselves. She could hardly believe she was on the zoology science team of The Omicron. She had never been down-planet anywhere, but this ship had seen more planets in its history than any other in their fleet. It was a legend, and she was part of it now.

-Yana!
She jumped and turned around to see Sgt Holst. Immediately she became aware of the speakers calling to a meeting of the science crew.
- That’s you, isn’t it? Holst laughed and added - first time, huh? No wonder you’re mesmerized. And a bit deaf!
His smile was contagious and although Yana felt embarrassed about having blocked out the ship’s com message, she hurried off to the meeting with a smile on her face. The zoology team wasn’t huge but there were loads of other scientists as well. Even archaeologists in case they ran across remains of ancient civilizations and linguists and whatever else you needed if you came across hithertoo unknown sentient beings. This time, two days from now, she’d set foot on solid ground for the first time in her life. She was trembling slightly.

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

27 Apr 2018 01:05 - 27 Apr 2018 01:50 #20943 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Story Game v2.0
This is way too much work for me. But I'll do one...

:)

He felt awkward here in this meeting. He felt like he didn't belong. He shuffled a little in his seat while that other man, Holst, was lecturing everyone about what was expected of them on this expedition. The military man was reminding the civilians that this was, after all, a military ship, whatever its mission. Petty hierarchies were everywhere these days. He ignored that Holst fellow and the droning voice, he'd heard it all before. Instead he looked down at the name badge pinned on his own uniform. Professor Almore Relin, it read. Head of Xeno-Historical Studies at the University of Terric Prime. Such a drab little planet, Terric Prime. So unlike the one they were about to finally land on. No-one wanted to go to Terric Prime anymore. But THIS planet... this planet promised wonders and secrets beyond the imagination. This was the planet that everyone wanted to see, the place where everyone wanted to be. So, naturally, he had to be here too. He had made sure that he was on this ship and had gone to great lengths to be on this ride. Many sacrifices had been made for him to be a part of this journey.

He straightened that name badge and self-consciously made a gesture as if wiping away a speck of dust. But there was no dust, the movement was a social performance, a way of looking normal, a way of seeming like he fitted in amidst these zoologists, these archaeologists, these ... scientists. In his mind that last word seemed distasteful. He silently spoke it in his thoughts with appropriate disgust. These scientists, they were all so clever in their respective fields but knew so little about the important things of life. They all seemed to spend their careers- their lives- learning more and more about less and less. Specializing until their scope was infinitesimal, insignificant. They were nothing like him and they meant nothing to him.

"...so, there we have it." He finally tuned in again to the voice of Holst, leaving his own thoughts for the moment to listen as the Sergeant concluded the meeting. "Planetfall will commence at Zero-Eight-Hundred in two days. Until then, stay patient and alert, and when you get down there, stay safe and alert. And always heed the instructions of your group commander." With the lecture over, Holst stood rigid at his podium and performed a dramatic salute, then marched off out of the room. The militaristic actions seemed absurd to him as he sat fiddling with his name badge once more. As absurd as that repetition of the word "Alert", rhetoric disguised as meaning. He thought it all a little immature, like a child's idea of what an adult should do. A weak man's idea of power. All ritual, nothing more.

With the meeting over the remaining scientists stood and slowly began to mingle. Some recognised colleagues and began to discuss their ideas of what they hoped was down on the planet. Others just seemed eager to get to know new people. Yet the man with the Professor's badge remained seated until he remembered again that he was supposed to be fitting in. His work here wouldn't be served with him avoiding everyone and alienating himself. He pushed himself slowly out of the chair and looked around at the group, seeking someone to introduce himself to. That fat biologist guy, perhaps? The loud, arrogant linguist? Or maybe that older lady, she looked quite scholarly and might like to engage with someone labelled as a University Professor. But before he could approach anyone his eyes were drawn to another woman, this one younger. He'd heard about her, knew about her. Yana, she was called. He watched her as she eagerly shook the hand of one person, then another, flitting around like an excited child, seemingly unable to contain her excitement at being here. As she talked to the tall, skinny botanist he overheard her say the name Relin. The botanist, who even seemed to look like a drooping flower, then pointed directly at him. Yana's gaze followed and he finally found himself making eye contact. He wondered, only for a moment, if he should approach her. No, he immediately corrected himself, let her come to me. He had to behave with some kind of authority. Behaviour was everything to him.

Yana smiled awkwardly and moved towards him with her hand outstretched. He took it and they shook while her free hand pointed at his name badge.
"So, you're Professor Relin," she spoke warmly.
"Yes," he lied. "Yes, I am." In a short instant of frozen time he recalled the face of the real Professor Relin. The face that was twisted and contorted in confusion and pain. The face of a man being murdered. He remembered the faces of all the people he killed, and as he looked into the fresh, naive face of Yana, he wondered if one day he would have to remember her too.

Unlike him, she had no idea about what was REALLY down on that planet.

27 Apr 2018 06:54 - 27 Apr 2018 06:55 #20945 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Story Game v2.0
(:eek: Now I'm scared to continue :lol: and "too much work"? You already wrote twice as much as anyone else. Which is me, for now.)

EDIT: (and you can't write something like that and just say "you'll do one", you get that, right?)

27 Apr 2018 07:44 #20946 by kazky
Replied by kazky on topic Story Game v2.0
Damn! why did you both stop, can't wait to read on!

This is awesome, i'm genuinely interested - is Relin a robot/alien? Just a bad person? Is Yana going to be wrongly influenced?

I'll wait to hear more! Great idea Charlotte, and very creative writing from you both, love it.

27 Apr 2018 09:40 #20947 by Charlotte
I stopped due to bed time and now I'm at work :p
I'm also a bit intimidated by Valence's writing. But this is what I like about writing with others - things happen that wouldn't have happened if only your own brain was involved... and then your own character or part of the story needs to adapt accordingly :)

27 Apr 2018 17:43 #20955 by Charlotte
well here goes...

That evening, Yana went over tomorrow's preparatory work in her mind. She still had a nagging worry that someone in charge would change their minds, and make her stay on board. But it was unlikely. The Omicron was a huge ship and in spite of most of them having been aboard for quite some time now, there were still people she didn't know. And hers wasn't the only crew that was going down to the planet. Several areas of the planet surface had been elected for further examination and each area, or quadrant as Security chose to call them - all designated by an X and a number - would host a sizeable crew. Each crew was then divided into subgroups depending on the work they were to do, and she had been put in charge of setting up the down-planet lab in her quadrant, get the right equipment down and enough sample bags and jars to last them this first foray. So it was unlikely she'd get kicked out now. And tomorrow she needed to double check on everything she and her lab team members had arranged for the trip. She welcomed the work. Just waiting for the shuttles to leave the Omicron and go down to the surface would drive her mad. Things like that always took much longer than one would like.

She wondered who else would be on the team in her quadrant. She knew the zoologists doing lab work with her, and some of the others. But while everyone had been assigned a team, only the team leaders had been officially informed of all names on all teams. Yana felt this was impractical. If something happened things could go wrong just because the members weren't aquainted or nobody noticed that someone was missing. She knew her best friend, Stella - also a zoologist - was assigned another quadrant. She was always a bit jealous of Stella - she'd been down-planet multiple times: she had family to visit on some out of the way, barely habitable rock as she used to call it. But the way she described her visits made Yana feel like she'd been with her. And it sounded wonderful, even if there wasn't much life around. Here, there was life in abundance and again Yana envied Stella. While she herself would get to take soil samples and maybe also get to analyse skin or blood samples, Stellas work was to observe the animals in their natural habitat. While Yana felt you could learn so very much more in her field of study, nothing really beat getting to see an animal up close. They were usually not allowed on starships. There were animal parks and some people who had pets on the habitat ships, but for the most part they were very expensive. Except for bugs. Bugs survived pretty much everywhere it seemed.

Her thoughts returned to the meeting earlier that day. She wasn't usually one to mingle but she'd been so excited and most of the others were equally excited and mingling had been quite easy. She'd met a few more people on her team but their names and faces were already starting to blur, though she'd made a particular effort to remember them. She did remember what they'd work with though. Two of them were geologists, working on the prospecting team. They had seemed nice, but Yana always felt a bit ill at ease when she was reminded that all this wonderful exploration of strange planets were due to the human habitat ships needing ever more resources. Or, quite possibly in this case, another planet to colonize. And she remembered Professor Relin. He was the editor of quite a selection of literature that everyone going down-planet on these missions had to read. She'd found his writings very fascinating and when she heard he'd be here she had hoped to meet him. But the meeting had been disappointing. He had seemed aloof and not at all as warm and engaging as she had imagined. But of course, she couldn't blame him for her expectations having been different. She couldn't read the man at all and that made her feel uneasy. She found herself hoping he'd be assigned another quadrant. Or maybe he wouldn't dirty his feet on the planet surface at all. Then again, he could turn out very much nicer once he'd warmed up to people and in that case she did wish for him to be in her quadrant. And Holst. She didn't know many of the Security staff but Holst was laid back and quick to laugh. He was almost twice her age but she felt they got along well and she felt relaxed around him. If something happened (now why does her brain always have to insist that something might happen?) she'd like to have someone steady and reliable, like him, in charge.

As she slipped into bed her mind was back to going through the events of the next few days. After double checking everything there'd be another briefing, this time for scientists only. Security (or military, but she refused to use that term when there was no conflict or danger in sight) would go down in shuttles tomorrow and sweep over the areas before the other teams went down. They'd scan the ground more thoroughly and also scan for potentially dangerous mega-fauna and other things they'd best avoid when making camp. In the evening there'd be yet another briefing for everyone, where Holst would inform them of anything potentially dangerous or unexpected. And then, the next morning, it would be her turn. She just knew it would feel like an eternity before everyone had boarded their shuttles. The trip down would take a while too, but by then she'd be able to look out an actual window instead of viewing all those trees on a screen. It was all so exciting! She would never be able to sleep again! And then, five minutes later, she was gently snoring.

28 Apr 2018 01:11 #20956 by Valence
Great stuff, Charlotte.
I think you find this much easier than I do.
I repeat what I said before, writing is hard work. I like the idea of writing rather than actual writing.

It goes: write, read, write, read. Write, write, write. Read, read. Re-write. Re-write. Read. Proof-read, proof-read. Correct, correct, correct. And finally .... post.
Then spot more mistakes and edit ad nauseum.

It takes up half the evening when I really just wanted to sit and watch that TV show I like. :lol:

Plus I have to try and finish that challenge pic. At least I don't have to proof-read that! :)

28 Apr 2018 01:29 #20957 by Valence
But I still did just one more... :)

"I'm sorry, I didn't catch that." Bordern stooped down to talk to the girl. "Who did you say you wanted to meet?"
"Professor Relin," Yana replied. "I've read all of his books and when I heard he was joining us on this trip I couldn't believe it. I've always wanted to ask him about his controversial ideas about first contact. Especially regarding the older interventionist protocols that were agreed upon by everyone until that relic was found on Kantika Moon. I mean, I don't always agree with him at the best of times, but- Oh, I'm sorry. I'm babbling on again, aren't I? I'm just so thrilled about all of this.." She gestured with both hands, indicating the meeting room around her, the people, the ship, maybe even the whole universe. "So, yes," she laughed, "I was talking about Professor Relin."
"Ah, Relin. That's him over there." Bordern extended a long arm and then a long finger to slowly point at the Professor.
"Thank you so much! I've just GOT to go and meet him!" And with that Yana was gone, bouncing off to harrass another person with her relentless giddy chat.

"Charming girl, don't you think?"
"Erm, what?" he turned to the new voice and saw that it belonged to that older woman with the white hair that reminded him of one of his old school teachers from years ago. Many years ago.
"Yana. A charming girl, I said."
"I suppose so," replied Bordern. "Talks a little too much for my liking."
"She's just excited to be here. Surely you remember what that was like? We were all young once," she said with the certainty that only came with age. He chuckled, acknowledging the chastisement of his cynicism, then the woman continued, "You're the botanist, aren't you?"
"I am, indeed. The name's Jek Bordern. And you are..."
"Elander Hays. I'm an 'expert' on Xeno-Historical artefacts. Apparently." She laughed with a modesty that was either fake or ironic, he couldn't quite tell.
"Xeno-History? Isn't that the Professor's field?"
"Yes," Elander confirmed. "I used to work with him back in the day. I'm surprised he didn't recognise me when I bumped past him earlier. But maybe we've both changed since then." She pointed at her old wrinkled face with its sad smile.
"We were all young once." He repeated her words with a smile of his own as they both turned to look at Yana, now in animated conversation with the Professor. "She just seemed so desperate to get to that planet. So fiery. So impatient."
The woman nodded. "I guess she takes after her father."
"I doubt it," Bordern disagreed. "Whilst rambling on about that planet she mentioned missing her family. Well, her mother. She said she never knew her father. He apparently left them when she was a baby."
"Oh, I wouldn't say he left." The woman seemed certain of that.
"Wait- Do you know the family?" He asked.
"Well," she leaned in to him conspiratorially and lowered her voice. "Maybe I shouldn't tell you this, but I know that her father was Renek Cardo."
"Cardo?" He sounded incredulous yet kept his voice as quiet as hers. "THE Renek Cardo of the Dernaq-3 Incident?"
"The very same." She seemed smug with her inside knowledge.
"Well, you said you shouldn't tell me," he shook his head and exhaled, "but I certainly wouldn't tell HER. She's better off not knowing."

Later that night, alone in the gloom of his quarters, Bordern was still stunned by the revelation. It can't be true, he thought. No, the old lady must have been wrong. She's probably just some sad, old woman trying to stir up trouble for a young girl with her life and career ahead of her. Yeah, that's probably it. The old woman's probably jealous of the girl. But then again...

Bordern activated his research console, its holographic screen raising the light level with a shimmering blue glow, making the room seem colder than it really was. He shivered unnecessarily.
"Check historical records," he commanded "Ship search.Criteria: Dernaq-3. Cross reference."
A list of ships appeared. He scanned the list until he saw the one that jogged his memory. He called it out.
"United Explorer Ship, 'Freedom Of Time'." The console waited for the correct command syntax. "Oh, erm..." he fumbled for the right word. "Crew Manifest."
--CLASSIFIED-- the console obstructed.
Bordern swore and slammed his hand against the console. He needed to know for sure but he didn't have the clearance code. He thought for a moment and found his personal com-link. He activated the device and reached through the hologrid of contacts. Pulling one from his past.
"Hey, there." A trilling female voice came through.
"Hey, Zhenna." He greeted his old friend.
"Bordern? Tall Bord? That you?"
"Been a long time."
"In Deed!", she squealed. "I heard from Bax, you remember Bax, that you were trying to get on that Omicron ship."
"Not just trying. That's where I'm calling from."
"No way! That's just sooo .... WOW! When we were at college all those years ago I'd never have believed that you-"
"Look, Zhenna," he interrupted. "I don't really have time for chit-chat."
"Big shame, man. Could really use a re-fresh, if you know what I mean."
"So, Zhenna... You still working security tech?"
"Still and always, babe."
"And you remember that favour you owe me?"
"Uh-oh!"

Elsewhere, a man named Corvan was awoken by a pulsing signal. Communication. That was unexpected. He retrieved the dark box and set it on the floor. The box looked like nothing. No switches, no lights, no indicators. Plain nothing. If you saw it, if you found it, you would not even consider it worthy of your attention. The box was nothing until...
Corvan held his left hand flat above the box. He closed his eyes as if concentrating and a purple glow appeared in his palm. Circular, like an orb, it bled out its light from within making the inner workings of his hand visible. The bones, the ligaments, the veins. Biological anatomy exposed through the strangest of light. The hand orb pulsed like the original signal and with that, the dark box on the floor unleashed a curtain of white energy flowing up like an inverted waterfall. Within the eye-watering brightness of the light a darkness appeared. A figure concealed. It spoke to him...

Having bargained the clearance code from his old friend Zhenna, Bordern entered the alpha-numeric sequence and was greeted with --CONFIRM?--
Suddenly his mouth felt dry, he swallowed nothing, and it was bitter and heavy. Why was he doing this? What did it really matter to him? He was just a botanist and he was just as eager to get to this planet as anyone else. Who cares about this girl that talks too much? Or that old jealous woman? Or all this ancient history? And Bordern suddenly agreed with all his own questions. He didn't really care. History didn't matter here. The future mattered and HIS future, like that of everyone else on this ship, was the planet, their future was the expedition. That was all that mattered. The ONLY thing that mattered. He realised he didn't actually want to know about any of this classified stuff now. But even so... he still selected 'CONFIRM'.

---ACCESS GRANTED--

The hologram now showed him the crew of the 'Freedom Of Time.' The crew that died at Dernaq-3. And right there he saw the name Renek Cardo. He selected it and saw and the image of Renek's face, his square jaw, those deep, haunting eyes and the shoulder length blonde hair. Handsome fellow. Not quite so handsome when he was found dead with the rest of the crew.
Bordern looked through the rest of the file and saw...

Next Of Kin.
Ex-Wife: Meridian Fenn.
Daughter: Yana.

Just Yana. They left out the name for her. And the mother's. Good choice. What did that old woman say? 'Takes after her father?' What the hell did she mean? He recalled telling her that the girl shouldn't know. And he still thought he was right about that. But someone SHOULD know. The Captain. Yes, he had to go to the Captain with this. You can't be too careful with information. The Captain can-

His thoughts were interrupted by the sound of his door opening. He instinctively shut off the research console and turned to look, his eyes wide and startled. But then he relaxed. It was just Professor Relin.

"Professor Relin," Bordern greeted his visitor.
"Yes," he lied. "Yes I am."
Bordern then looked confused as Relin's face seemed to shimmer and ripple. It was like a mirage, shifting and fading in his perception, but unlike a mirage in that there was no welcoming oasis, there was just another face. He looked at its features to classify, to catalogue, to recognise, like the scientist that he was. But the face he now saw was just an unremarkable stranger to him.
"Professor?" Bordern asked, his confusion escalating.
"No," the man replied truthfully. He raised his left hand and Bordern was confused futher when he saw a purple glow INSIDE the palm. Then he just got very, very tired.

Later, Professor Relin was disturbed by some kind of commotion on the ship. A small group of those ...scientists... were gazing down a corridor and gossiping in that tiresome way.
"What's going on?" he eventually bothered to ask them.
"It's the botanist chap," one of them replied. "I heard the doctor say that he's in a coma."
Another scientist chirped in, "He probably drank too much at that so-called meeting."
"Yes," lied Professor Relin. "I'm pretty sure that he did."

28 Apr 2018 09:43 #20959 by Charlotte
:ohmy: you know more about my character than I do!
and it doesn't look like you find this difficult. You have background, complex characters, dialogue (I never really know how to include dialogue).... I just sort of ponder what someone thinks and feels and then kind of describe their inner monologue instead. I guess my process is more "think, think, think, write, read, rewrite, try to cram everything in, fail, settle for less"

I think I'm going to have to think some more :) and maybe include more characters as well. I'd take on Holst if I had any clue how to behave like security personel :P

and I wish I could hack some records and find out more about that Renek Cardo and Dernaq-3 :lol:

28 Apr 2018 13:38 #20960 by Valence

I'd take on Holst if I had any clue how to behave like security personel

Thankfully I know exactly how to behave like a creepy, weirdo impostor that doesn't really fit in with humans. It's just my normal life. :lol: