April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGAN Jan 23 - Weapon - WIPs

27 Jan 2023 14:55 #44167 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic CGAN Jan 23 - Weapon - WIPs
WIP 2. I had started working on a different Axe, but wasn't happy with how that was going, so I went with this one instead which I decided was at least a little different from the regular wood shaft generic thingy I was doing. I do intend to do a background, but I'm focusing on the weapon first as time is a factor   

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

27 Jan 2023 19:10 #44169 by Banj
WIP 2:

Attachments:

27 Jan 2023 19:23 #44170 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic CGAN Jan 23 - Weapon - WIPs
Lovely work on the textures here.
The combination of the detailed definition and subtlety is very satisfying. :aha:

27 Jan 2023 20:01 #44171 by Banj
Thanks, I'm happy with the bone handle, I'm not too sure at the moment about the supposed bronze head. Looking at millions of bronze weapons for reference and they all look completely different in terms of colouring and texture and I'm not convinced I captured any of them 

27 Jan 2023 21:17 #44173 by Charlotte
The brown and green combo makes me think of copper rather than bronze... Perhaps try a bit more yellowish tone? Also, I like the bone handle but the end looks a bit like it's cut off, but if it is, it's also the beginning of the next bone rather than the joint. I think maybe if it's a bit more rounded, it would look more like the natural end of a bone? Even if you did have a ref for it :unsure:

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

28 Jan 2023 15:39 #44178 by Banj
It actually started off far more yellow, it changed after looking at photos of Bronze that mostly looked brownish (almost copper like at times) or completely green. From what I could see the only Bronze stuff that looked yellow was new and highly polished, while I want more of an ancient looking metal. I suspect it might work better if I make it more greenish all over rather than in small areas. But looking at it now it's not as bad as I thought yesterday 

I'm not sure I am seeing the cut part of the bone that you are seeing, but if it's there it would actually fit somewhat with the backstory that I had in mind for how that bone was obtained 

28 Jan 2023 15:47 #44179 by Charlotte
I meant the lower end, it has a very straight edge that seems unnatural for a joint. But if it's the beginning of the next bone it wouldn't really stick to the rest of the handle... :dry: Unless it's glued to it with magic :hmm:

If this hotlink works, here's some yellowish (and greenish, with a bit of brownish too) old bronze. It's not very shiny looking... anyway, I think maybe... your axe colour should be a bit colder looking maybe? Although I'm not sure why I think yellowish green feels cooler than bluish green... :dumb:

28 Jan 2023 15:53 #44180 by Banj
I think I see what you are talking about with the bone, that's part of the same bone, I can maybe round it off a little later when I clean everything up. 

28 Jan 2023 15:57 #44181 by Charlotte

28 Jan 2023 18:02 #44186 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic CGAN Jan 23 - Weapon - WIPs
Meanwhile I'm struggling to finger-paint some straight, hard edges to any old generic sword. :dry: