April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGAN December 2021 - YETI - WIPs

18 Dec 2021 22:36 #38548 by Banj
They will definitely be thickened up, I am waiting to do that as it could be problematic right now (it's a dynamesh right now and the fingers will merge together if they are too close to one another). I tried the neck longer with the head higher up, but then he looks too human and not Yeti enough, but I do intend for him to be hunched somewhat once I pose him properly (if I ever get that far) 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

18 Dec 2021 22:41 #38549 by Charlotte
*nods as if she knows exactly what a dynamesh is* :aha:

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

18 Dec 2021 22:44 #38550 by Banj
It's a feature in Zbrush that allows you to remesh the object on the fly while sculpting (that's the simple explanation anyway).

18 Dec 2021 23:47 #38551 by Charlotte
Aha, yes uh-huh :aha:

:dumb:

19 Dec 2021 00:15 - 19 Dec 2021 01:15 #38552 by Valence
It sounds like the Dyntopo tool in Blender. :confident:
That just adds new polygons/vertices as you sculpt instead of moving polygons/vertices that are already there.
That's basically what Sculptris did until ZBrush bought them out.
It's a cool idea but you do end up with wildly varying levels of detail across your model like this...

...and it only works with triangles rather than quads which isn't ideal when you start deforming it later.

And I had exactly the same problem with the fingers. If you look too closely some of them still have a bit of "webbing" that I can't get rid of. :shrug:

Edit: Or is Dynamesh more like Blender's voxel remesh? :hmm:
From just reading up on it I can't tell. :dumb:
Attachments:

19 Dec 2021 09:18 #38555 by Charlotte
That doesn't really help my understanding. I'm still on the "making tables from boxes" level of Blender.

19 Dec 2021 09:41 - 19 Dec 2021 10:03 #38556 by Banj

It sounds like the Dyntopo tool in Blender. :confident:
That just adds new polygons/vertices as you sculpt instead of moving polygons/vertices that are already there.
That's basically what Sculptris did until ZBrush bought them out.
It's a cool idea but you do end up with wildly varying levels of detail across your model like this...

<SNIP>

Edit: Or is Dynamesh more like Blender's voxel remesh? :hmm:
From just reading up on it I can't tell. :dumb:

What you were describing is actually Sculptris Pro mode in Zbrush. Dynamesh works very differently and is what they had prior to acquiring Sculptris. Where Sculptris is an automatic creation of geometry in real time as you brush over or pull on the surface, Dynamesh is a manual operation that you have to activate each time (pull geo around then ctrl drag in the viewport to remesh). My understanding of how it works is that behind the scenes it creates a box around the scene divided up to whatever resolution you have set and it projects a grid from each side over the mesh and remeshes it accordingly creating an even distribution of polygons like this:

I don't know anything about Blender's voxel remesh, but it would be very similar to a voxelization process but resulting in polys instead of voxels. Because it is projection based it can fill in gaps and small holes, and geometry that is in close proximity can become blended/merged together (such as with fingers or toes). Both Sculptris Pro and Dynamesh have their pros and cons, Dynamesh is great for quickly blocking stuff out, while Sculptris works well for adding finer detail.

EDIT - And this here is what can happen when things are close together and you dynamesh...

Attachments:

19 Dec 2021 11:24 #38557 by Charlotte
*remembers trying to make avatars for Cybertown and drawing out the polygons of the face (and body) on paper....*

The nose would be 10 polygons max. Maybe even just three!

:dry:

19 Dec 2021 11:31 #38558 by Banj
*Remembers sitting patiently in front of TV screen for over an hour waiting for a 6 sided cube to render*

19 Dec 2021 11:39 #38559 by Charlotte
Well, at least VRML sort of rendered instantly...

why was your cube on TV though? :dumb: