March challenge - Enter here!

Deadline for entry:

February challenge WINNER ANNOUNCED!

CGAN August 2021 - Dreams and Nightmares - WIPs

01 Aug 2021 13:06 #35749 by Banj
Dreams and Nightmares

Brief: Somewhat open theme this month. Create some artwork based on the title, could be something dreamlike, nightmarish, a combination of the two, it's up to you.

Deadline: Tuesday the 31st of August at midnight (UTC).

This thread is where you post your works in progress (WIPs), final entries should be posted over here: cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/current-...tmares-final-entries

Challenge rules and guidelines:
cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...s/39-challenge-rules

Rules in brief:
- All challenge entries must be your own work.
- You should post at least two WIP images that are clearly different from your final entry and each other.
- Your final entry should contain your image (inserted so it shows up full size) and at least two links to your WIP posts on the forum.
- No chatter in the finals thread – if you have questions, post them in the WIP thread or PM an admin.
- Feedback is allowed & encouraged together with the voting and in the WIP thread.
- Deadline is given in UK time (midnight UTC) with a grace period of 5 minutes for getting the post sorted.
- Each member may cast one vote.
- No cheating! Admins may decide to disqualify an entry that does not adhere to the above rules.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 Aug 2021 17:20 #35985 by Valence
After failing with this idea twice over the last few days I had one more go before giving up and after an hour of scribbling I was not too unhappy with the effort...

...then a strange sense of deja-vu kicked in and after a bit more research I finally realised that this is faaar too similar to the pic I did for the previous Pandora challenge. I really do have no new ideas at all. :pout:

May continue to play around with it to see if I can make it a bit different. Maybe. :dry:
Attachments:

18 Aug 2021 18:01 #36044 by Valence
Scribbled a bit more but it's not going well. :dry:

I think this monster looks a little less generic and could work with a bit more ...erm... work. :dumb:
There's far too much dead space in the two opposite corners but I think I might take the bottom bit, flip it and then crop it into a vertical composition. But the woman's body and pose need more work also and maybe even a complete repaint.
Like I said... it's not going well. :nope:
Attachments:

19 Aug 2021 22:38 #36079 by Atto
I had a similar idea, right now it's just a photo study pretty much but I'm planning to add some ropes and little devils holding her down.

My wife suffers from sleep paralysis and I wanted to do something along those lines.

I'm in hospital from the 26th for my operation so pretty sure I won't get this one finished but there you go......at least I'm consistent.

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.
Attachments:

20 Aug 2021 11:54 #36083 by Valence
Well that looks much more impressive than the amorphous blob sleeping in my picture. :lol:
The colour of the face is very well observed. Hope you get time to finish before the doctors kidnap you again.

20 Aug 2021 21:38 - 20 Aug 2021 21:39 #36104 by Valence
OK, I've switched the composition and I think this is a bit better...

Still not happy about the sleepy pose and I'm not quite sure if I should waste time trying to find a similar ref or waste time trying a complete repaint with a different pose. Don't think we have enough days to waste time on both. :unsure:
Attachments: