April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGAN April 2021 - New Master - WIPs

16 Apr 2021 15:36 #34463 by Banj

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 Apr 2021 17:37 #34465 by Charlotte

seems I made her arm see-through... :dry: Still not looking very much like the artist I'm going for but I'll worry about that when I have the lines down, I guess... For now I have a purring cat on the tablet so no more artsy fartsy for me... (And no that's not an accurate depiction of the gun Banj posted, visible or invisible parts... but I am using it for reference.)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.
Attachments:

16 Apr 2021 17:59 #34466 by Valence
I like where you're going with the face and hair. And those curls are starting to look a bit Art Nouveau. :)

Did a bit more on mine today...

Attachments:

24 Apr 2021 22:40 #34571 by Charlotte
Was hoping to be further along, but I'm still struggling with the weapon design (I don't want to just copy all of it!) and I think I mentioned I botched one attempt at a background. I have another idea but I haven't tried it yet so I don't know if it'll work. I hadn't planned on using the ink pen to fill in flat "colours" (greys) either but realised that shading everything with the pen tool was both going to take forever and be a bit too "textured". I do want a bit of pen texture in my attempt to mimic a certain artist (and the style isn't supposed to be art nouveau by the way ;)) but I have a sneaky feeling I won't be able to get the right balance. I'm probably going to have to rely on the background and eventual colour to make it look at least somewhat like the work of a certain (other) artist.... Though the colouring I find typical of this artist was apparently just the result of finances.... :dry:

bla bla bla, now where's that wip?

Attachments:

25 Apr 2021 14:48 - 25 Apr 2021 14:51 #34578 by Charlotte
Approximately where I had hoped to be by the end of yesterday...

I need to look at more refs for the shading on that overall... and her hands, especially her right one.

EDIT: and here we go again, double posting - and apparently when I deleted the double post I also deleted the attached file, so I had to reattached that to the not deleted post. :rage:

(and then I had to remove an extra emoji that also double posted *sigh*)

Attachments:

25 Apr 2021 19:39 #34580 by Valence
Looking very nice. :thumbup:

Can't wait to see that colour. :excited:

29 Apr 2021 22:01 - 29 Apr 2021 22:02 #34628 by Charlotte
Still no colour and honestly plenty of things that need more work, and that's not even mentioning trying to make it look like it was painted by someone other than myself :p But, if I have only a few minutes for this tomorrow I hope I can at least slap on a colour layer and make it look almost finished... maybe...

wip 5

(Dang why must the snipping tool capture the mouse pointer?)

Attachments:

30 Apr 2021 11:33 - 30 Apr 2021 11:34 #34634 by Valence
After a bit of research and the helpful clue of your title I declare that you have copied the style and colour of the fairy tale art of John Bauer. :confident:

Maybe. :)

30 Apr 2021 11:47 - 30 Apr 2021 11:48 #34635 by Charlotte
Reading the image name is cheating :stare:

But yes... which is why I couldn't do anything "fantasy-ish" as he was already famous for princesses and trolls and such. (I realised that after I had already decided to go with him as "my master"... so had to go with something more sci-fi-ish for the portrait... or horror maybe, in this case. Though Ripley herself isn't quite as scary as the alien)

Edit: Come to think of it maybe a trollish Gandalf would have been easier to make in Bauer's style? :hmm:

30 Apr 2021 13:50 #34639 by Valence
Seeing as I've never encountered his work before I would never have guessed without the clue. :P
In my searches I got through a few artists called Bauer before I got to him but as soon as I saw some of his paintings I thought "THAT looks like Charlotte's pic!" So you've definitely captured something of his style.