March challenge - Enter here!

Deadline for entry:

February challenge WINNER ANNOUNCED!

Feb 2021 - Tree House - WIPs

01 Feb 2021 13:57 - 01 Feb 2021 14:17 #33412 by Banj
Tree House

Brief: Take the title, interpret it into a masterwork of imaginative artwork.

Deadline: Sunday the 28th of February at midnight (UTC).

This thread is where you post your WIPs (work in progress), final entries should be posted over here: cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/current-...-house-final-entries

Challenge rules and guidelines:
cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challenge-rules/39-challenge-rules

Rules in brief:
- All challenge entries must be your own work.
- You should post at least two WIP images that are clearly different from your final entry and each other.
- Your final entry should contain your image (inserted so it shows up full size) and at least two links to your WIP posts on the forum.
- No chatter in the finals thread – if you have questions, post them in the WIP thread or PM an admin.
- Feedback is allowed & encouraged together with the voting and in the WIP thread.
- Deadline is given in UK time (midnight UTC) with a grace period of 5 minutes for getting the post sorted.
- Each member may cast one vote.
- No cheating! Admins may decide to disqualify an entry that does not adhere to the above rules.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

01 Feb 2021 14:09 #33414 by Charlotte
:giggle:
I'm pretty sure that deadline has already passed...

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

01 Feb 2021 14:18 #33415 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Feb 2021 - Tree House - WIPs
:eyeroll:

03 Feb 2021 01:23 #33444 by Atto
Replied by Atto on topic Feb 2021 - Tree House - WIPs
lol.
As soon as I saw this I thought of those twisty gnarly trees and decrepit structures Crankshaft so successfully depicts, I'm hoping you may join us on this one Crank, seems right up your boulevard!

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.

04 Feb 2021 17:01 #33483 by Atto
Replied by Atto on topic Feb 2021 - Tree House - WIPs
Started with a sketch of a tree - now I just need to make a house in there somehow.

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.
Attachments:

06 Feb 2021 15:43 #33504 by Valence
I like the look of this one. Looks really natural and organic, and the figure is nicely framed by those branches. :thumbup:

I've just had a tentative go at sketching out an idea in a finger-painty way but it's not looking like the pic in my head so I shall try again later. :shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Atto

12 Feb 2021 14:36 #33603 by Valence
I've now painted the same rubbish picture three times over the last few days. You're supposed to learn from your mistakes not just do them again in exactly the same way. :eyeroll:
Think I'm gonna need a new idea next week. :dry:

12 Feb 2021 15:29 #33610 by Charlotte
well... I started a sketch, decided I needed a different approach, had a cat in the way and then restarted the computer (for updates) without closing and saving, so... Yeah, me too.

20 Feb 2021 16:07 #33769 by Valence
Some scribbles...

I was hoping to get a bit more of this done on my android tablet over the weekend but the battery has been misbehaving again so I'll have to try and finish it on my PC at the last moment. :(
Attachments:

20 Feb 2021 16:16 - 20 Feb 2021 16:17 #33773 by Charlotte
Looking good so far, Val.

I decided to try to build a house in Blender. When I had made like 2 small parts of it I realised it wasn't done in the same orientation as I was thinking (meaning I either had to rethink everything or rotate it - which isn't a biggie but I'm still in the vrml mindset of having coded in the coordinates and then having to add a transform that will add to the code and filesize unnecessarily so it bugs me) and also that I had used a plane when I should have used a box. And as I had reshaped it (more below), it was annoying and I just kind of stopped...

Alos, I managed to use a bolean edit/cut on a plane. I used a rectangular cube to cut a corner from a plane. But it only cut like a diagonal in that area? So I used the whatsitcalled tool that subdivides things and added a vertex on the diagonal and then moved it so it made a corner of the rectangular shape I actually wanted. So it worked but.... that can't be how it's supposed to be done... *sigh*

Then again at some point I managed to removed everything but the area that I wanted to remove, so... If I manage to do that backwards (adding the boolean modifier to the item the tutorial tells me not to) it might work, I guess... :dry: