April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

October 2020 - Alien Structure - WIPs

01 Oct 2020 13:09 - 01 Oct 2020 13:10 #31292 by Banj
Alien Structure

Brief: Environment time, illustrate an alien structure... inclusion of aliens is optional

Deadline: Midnight on Saturday the 31st of October.

This thread is where you post your WIPs (work in progress), final entries should be posted over here: cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/current-...ucture-final-entries

Challenge rules and guidelines:
cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challenge-rules/39-challenge-rules

Rules in brief:
- All challenge entries must be your own work.
- You should post at least two WIP images that are clearly different from your final entry and each other.
- Your final entry should contain your image (inserted so it shows up full size) and at least two links to your WIP posts on the forum.
- No chatter in the finals thread – if you have questions, post them in the WIP thread or PM an admin.
- Feedback is allowed & encouraged together with the voting and in the WIP thread.
- Deadline is given in UK time (midnight GMT) with a grace period of 5 minutes for getting the post sorted.
- Each member may cast one vote.
- No cheating! Admins may decide to disqualify an entry that does not adhere to the above rules.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

01 Oct 2020 13:17 #31294 by Charlotte

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

01 Oct 2020 22:28 #31298 by Atto
:aha: though I probably won't be able to enter this month due to the fact I've just had 14 portrait commissions drop in my lap that need to get themselves painted, printed and off the the customer by the 24th October :giveup:

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.

02 Oct 2020 09:12 #31300 by Charlotte
ooooh if you're getting paid, that's an awesome kind of busy! :)

16 Oct 2020 20:17 #31541 by Charlotte
I did something... In between catnaps...

Attachments:

16 Oct 2020 20:40 #31543 by Valence
I like the silhouette. Makes it look kind of creepy especially how the edges disappear into the darker values.

I've been trying to do one of these every other day or so. I wanted to do it in that sketchy concept art style but I'm not very good at it. Just can't do that hard edged stuff. :shakefist:
I've even resorted to looking at some IFX issues to hopefully learn how to do it. Issue 179 is by my side as I type. :lol:

So far I have about five rough sketches but I don't think they're getting better. :dry:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Charlotte

17 Oct 2020 14:36 #31550 by Valence
Some of my quick scribbles so far...

The first was an ArtRagey thing on my PC then I started using a textured brush in ArtFlow on my tablet. For the third one I switched to a smooth, square brush and I think that's a bit more successful. Still not sure about the designs though.

I'll keep experimenting. :)
Attachments:

17 Oct 2020 15:19 #31551 by Charlotte
I think the first one gives the most alien feel, design wise. The last one looks a bit like a crashed ship, maybe? (Not necessarily alien...)

The following user(s) said Thank You: Valence

17 Oct 2020 16:26 #31552 by Valence
I've just noticed that the three pics almost fit together. The dark ground at the top turns into the big structure in the middle one and then the sharp curving point lines up with the point in the bottom one. :P
My repetitive compositions are showing again. :)

I too like the awkward angles in the first one and I think the third has the best landscape with the muted colours. (I stole that colour scheme from some Star Wars concept art that I found. :oops:)
Using that square chisel brush was helpful as it made it easier to shape the forms with a hard edge, even with my clumsy fat finger.

I shall try to combine the best bits in my next efforts.

17 Oct 2020 16:41 #31553 by Atto
I agree with Charlotte on this one.
I think no1 is the strongest in terms of composition, form and lighting. I do like the muted palette of the third though.
It might be cool to merge these elements of no1 & 3. The sharp saturated lighting in the first contrasting with the muted world of the third may reinforce that alien feeling.

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Valence