April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

June 2020 - Portraits from beyond - WIPs

18 Jun 2020 18:24 #29676 by Charlotte
Layers are your friend. :) One can scribble on one layer until the hand actually looks right and then use that as a guide for painting it on the main layer :)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

18 Jun 2020 23:08 #29678 by Atto
I’m using more layers than I normally would too on this one. It’s something I’ve tried to avoid recently.
My PC is so old I can’t work as large as I’d like so I had to paste young QE1 to a new image, resize the canvas, paint it then copy it back to the original image and reduce it again :giveup:
No wonder progress is slow. Oh yeah and you know Elizabethan dresses?
Don’t ever try and paint them. I’ve simplified young QE but the lace collar on old QE is driving me nuts. I’m just gonna have to kinda wing it.

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.
Attachments:

19 Jun 2020 10:14 - 19 Jun 2020 10:14 #29680 by Charlotte
One of the many times it's better to give an impression of something than actually painting the rel thing :)
But I looked up the reference with Milla Jovovich and fittingly enough the brocade dress almost give the impression of being splattered with blood already :p Anyway you chose a nice pose with much (implied) movement in it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Atto

20 Jun 2020 16:33 - 20 Jun 2020 16:37 #29723 by Valence

...until the hand actually looks right...

:angry: May be a long wait.

Currently fighting with a thumb. :thumbup:

Edit.
And that's continuing to look great, Atto. The combination of full figure and portrait is an interesting and adventurous composition and I love the way you're using colour to separate them.

23 Jun 2020 02:49 #29788 by Atto
Ermmm.... I think I may be done.
I'm a little drunk so that may change but I'll take a look tomorrow and try to decide if I actually need to add a few more elements - originally I was going to add a silhouette of Queenie being trained and a little detail off to one side of her neck with bite marks on it but I'm not sure I actually need it.

Whaddya think? More explanation or leave it as it is?

This is actually a really nice position to be in - I can live with it for a few days as opposed to a mad rush to finish. :excited:

Attachments:

23 Jun 2020 09:29 #29790 by Charlotte
Dang I need to get back to mine... all those perspective failings really bummed me out and then.... ARK :blink:

anywhoooo - if I were you, Atto, there are a couple of small changes I'd make:
1) I'd change the hair on the small full body version so that it's the same colour as the large one - to make it more obvious that they're one and the same person.
2) In the large face, I would perhaps add a bit more light/shade in the irises.

Both things are matters of taste rather than execution, though. So do what you will :)

23 Jun 2020 11:52 #29791 by Valence
I don't mind the different coloured hair seeing as the older versions obviously wore wigs but I see what Charlotte means. Maybe just a little hue shift rather than a repaint will do the trick. And I agree with tweaking the contrast in and around the eyes, maybe also adding some slightly darker lines within the creases of the lower eyelids.

23 Jun 2020 12:54 #29793 by Atto
Veery good points both, thanks. I’m now thinking of adding silhouettes of figures around my young queenie, to represent a vampire horde she is cutting her way through but I’m going to edit it first as you suggest and see how time goes.

30 Jun 2020 15:44 #29933 by Charlotte
Well, I think I'll be giving up now. I want to play games instead :dry:
I flattened the bg I had because it was getting laggy, but I need to go back to that file (I saved as a new one at that point) to make changes. I need to "blue out" the big pyramid more so it doesn't poke her in the head like that, and the glowy lines were just place holders....)

As for Cleo herself , I guess I'm fairly happy with what I have so far but I still have a fair bit to do... and I won't get it done tonight! (at least it's very unlikely that I do)

Attachments:

30 Jun 2020 21:22 #29944 by Atto
Such a pity you won’t finish Charlotte. That’s a great costume design and a really cool idea.
I hope you still finish it even if it’s after the deadline.