April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

June 2020 - Portraits from beyond - WIPs

01 Jun 2020 14:26 - 01 Jun 2020 14:50 #29356 by Banj
Portraits from beyond

Brief: Take a pre photography historical figure (e.g. Cleopatra, Boudicca, Gengis Khan) and create a fantasy or science fiction based portrait of them.

Deadline: Midnight on the 30th of June.

This thread is where you post your WIPs (work in progress), final entries should be posted over here: cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/current-...beyond-final-entries

Challenge rules and guidelines:
cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challenge-rules/39-challenge-rules

Rules in brief:
- All challenge entries must be your own work.
- You should post at least two WIP images that are clearly different from your final entry and each other.
- Your final entry should contain your image (inserted so it shows up full size) and at least two links to your WIP posts on the forum.
- No chatter in the finals thread – if you have questions, post them in the WIP thread or PM an admin.
- Feedback is allowed & encouraged together with the voting and in the WIP thread.
- Deadline is given in UK time (midnight GMT) with a grace period of 5 minutes for getting the post sorted.
- Each member may cast one vote.
- No cheating! Admins may decide to disqualify an entry that does not adhere to the above rules.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

03 Jun 2020 12:44 - 03 Jun 2020 12:47 #29399 by Charlotte
Since I might have had just a weeee bit to do with this month's choice of theme, I guess I ought to post at least a wip...

so here's a sloppy sketch + references for a Steampunk Cleo

Edit: The bust is of Cleopatra, the photo is a "random" Greek woman (dressed up in ancient garb) and Hugh is just there for his looks. And the crossbow/pose.

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mindbender

03 Jun 2020 13:46 #29401 by Valence
I see you're starting early this month. :)
Much better than trying to complete a whole picture in the final hours before a deadline. :lol:
Looks pretty good so far, I especially like the twist to the pose. :thumbup:

03 Jun 2020 16:22 #29403 by Banj

Much better than trying to complete a whole picture in the final hours before a deadline. :lol:

That would be ridiculous, why would anyone attempt to do anything so silly :oops: :whistle:

03 Jun 2020 16:48 #29404 by Charlotte

03 Jun 2020 19:09 - 03 Jun 2020 19:10 #29406 by Charlotte
had an idea for a BG so sketched that in. If sketch is a word you may use with (digital) crayons...

Image is too squareish. I'll have to adjust that...

Edit (as usual): The shadows on the ground are basically just a thought placeholder at this point. They definitely don't fit, yet.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mindbender

05 Jun 2020 16:35 #29423 by Atto
Great to see you back in the challenges Charlotte!

I’ve finally come up with an idea based around Queen Elizabeth 1 as a vampire hunter. I’ve done a bit of research on this one too.

I like the idea of doing two portraits, one of her as a young woman and the second after she contracted small pox. Small pox? Yeah right. In my world she was bitten by a vampire and turned while out battling the evil dead. I understand that Bram Stoker even visited the grave of an Elizabethan child shortly after her death that he was convinced was the real Elizabeth (though he believed they had swapped her out for a young boy after her untimely death at about age 6) maybe that’s where he got the idea for Van Helsing from?

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.

05 Jun 2020 17:19 #29424 by Charlotte
small pox is transmitted by vampires? :ohmy:

Good to see you around too Atto. I read the FB post about your brother. So so sorry. *hugs* I do hope painting helps you in some measure.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Atto

05 Jun 2020 17:45 #29425 by Atto
Thanks Charlotte it was a real shock to us all, it happened so quickly.
While I’m here a bit of explanation is probably in order for those of you not on social media.
My brother, who lives in Canada was diagnosed with an extremely aggressive form of cancer around four months ago. By the time of diagnosis it had already spread to both lungs, his liver and his bowel (though it was originally misdiagnosed as kidney cancer).
He lost his battle last Friday after being rushed into hospital with complications.
He maintained his sense of humour and his huge sense of empathy for those around him till the very end. Turns out he was my hero, though I never realised until he became ill. The messages of support and the stories and memories people have shared with myself and his wife reflect how many and how deeply his life touched all those he knew. RIP Sim.

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.

05 Jun 2020 17:52 #29426 by Charlotte

The following user(s) said Thank You: Atto