March challenge - Enter here!

Deadline for entry:

February challenge WINNER ANNOUNCED!

CGAN Feb 2020 - Beast Slayer - WIPs

22 Feb 2020 01:27 #27928 by Atto
Chickened out of rendering up that bear in any meaningful way but I did work some more on the main Rick. I’m wondering if I should just change the colour of the bears fur as well as give him a more ‘toy’ appearance just to avoid any confusion. Hmmmmmm.

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

22 Feb 2020 02:35 #27929 by Valence
I think my confusion was just from it being a sketch. The plan and the story are both good. Just go with whatever feels right to you. I'm sure you'll pull it off either way. :)

22 Feb 2020 11:39 #27932 by Charlotte
I agree with Val. AFTER you mentioned it being a fake bear head I could see the button eye, but before that... well cartoons make crossed out eyes for dead or unconscious characters :P Now it's painted though, it is quite obviously a button!

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Atto

24 Feb 2020 20:06 - 24 Feb 2020 20:07 #27949 by segujo
hi guys

long time no posting… :P

anyway… i'm trying out sketchbook pro and I'm pleasently surprised. :D
There might even be a beast hunter to post Before febuary is over. XD
Attachments:

24 Feb 2020 20:27 #27950 by Charlotte
Hey Segujo!
Good to see you! I like what you have there although the bird looks fairly harmless :P So, yeah, looking forward to a beast coming up too ;)

24 Feb 2020 21:54 #27951 by Valence
*waves at segujo*

Looks good straight away. I just want to know if the bird is the fearsome beast or if it's his companion that tracks down the monsters for him. :lol:

I'm not sure what's happening with my pic. :(
Been trying to work up the background but every idea turns into a bit of a mess. Only 5 days left and I don't even know what to try to fix it. :unsure:
Perhaps I should stop frantically scribbling over it and just think about it for a bit.

25 Feb 2020 10:34 #27953 by Charlotte
Do something colorful and indistinct, possibly blobby or foggy like Boris Vallejo :)

25 Feb 2020 12:48 #27954 by segujo
Hehe... it's the "Sparrow of Caerbannog", brother of the dreaded Monty Python Rabbit. Fiercer than he looks... ;)

the thinking was more that the bad ass but witless monster slayer is considering if the bird is monster enough to slay or not...

But yeah I agree. It's borderline oot. xD
Vals monster is much better! :)

25 Feb 2020 12:51 #27956 by segujo
I think the background idea is good Val! Gives impression of underground/cave where it is likely to meet that kind of monsters. :)
But my opinions on background are rather noob... :P

25 Feb 2020 15:47 #27959 by Valence

Do something colorful and indistinct, possibly blobby or foggy like Boris Vallejo :)

It's like you read my mind, Charlotte. :lol:
I have one of his books and I was indeed flicking through it the other day for inspiration help.
The "cave" look was the thing I tried to work up by adding stalactites and rocky textures but it made the backround look more detailed than the foreground which completely messed up any sense of depth.
I think it's time to backtrack to an earlier wip and bring back that blobby, foggy stuff. :confident: