April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGAN Feb 2020 - Beast Slayer - WIPs

19 Feb 2020 18:33 #27886 by Atto
He he! Yeah. He’s kinda prolific. Only two more to do then I can start adding the story elements and try to figure out how it all fits together (either sequentially or as one ‘comic’ page).

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

19 Feb 2020 21:06 #27890 by Valence
Hands and feet in the same image?? :ohmy:
You're just showing off now! :P

Meanwhile it seems like I've forgotten how to paint again.:(
So after another failed portrait I went back to doodle this a bit more. Not sure it's improving...

And only 10 days left?!
Oh, yeah. It's that silly short month, isn't it?
Attachments:

20 Feb 2020 01:29 #27901 by Atto
I’m liking this Val. It’s got that old school DnD feel to it. Remember that feeling of rolling up your first ever character and jumping into the dungeon with a group of mates? That’s what I get from this. As far as the actual art goes I’m loving the whole smokey background and the light that’s emanating from beneath the beast and it’s resulting highlights is really well captured and a clever device. Even Gizmo looks threatening when he’s lit from below. I also like the look of trepidation on your slayers face. Those big eyes and sideways glance just fit the situation perfectly. Keep it up!

The following user(s) said Thank You: Valence

20 Feb 2020 10:16 #27902 by Atto
Right, gonna need a bit of imagination for this one all.
I sat down this morning to start the main element of my entry and began to throw together some kind of layout for the final image.
Do you think this reads sequentially ok?
It’s the three across the top (two of which are just outline sketches atm. Then that bluey/grey splodge will be a ‘reward’ poster. Then the main and finally our hero relaxing in a 16:9 panel across the bottom.
Any c&c would be really welcome right now. TIA.

Attachments:

20 Feb 2020 13:03 #27903 by Charlotte
aw no kill bear! :cry:

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Atto

20 Feb 2020 13:50 #27904 by Banj
Atto, currently the eye goes from panel one down the gun barrel to the bears head then down to the bottom panel. I'd maybe move the gun barrel to over his shoulder (aimed more at panel 3, which might help the eyeline along to the poster), or pointing downward to the bottom left at the final panel below the poster.

20 Feb 2020 14:59 #27906 by Atto
@charlotte No! No kill bear, bear alive in last panel. Rick only pretend to kill bear. (May have to look at that again to make it more obvious)

@Banj thanks that’s exactly the kind of feedback I was after! I’ll try moving it.

20 Feb 2020 15:15 #27907 by Charlotte
oh good boy Rick. I thought maybe it was stuffed in the last panel... :dry:

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

20 Feb 2020 16:46 #27910 by Atto
Lol hopefully when I render that severed head up more, with a button for an eye among other things, it will read a little better.

21 Feb 2020 03:13 #27913 by Valence
Look great, Atto. I like that the composition works as a single piece of art as well as sequential panels. The diagonals of the poster really help with that.
It seemed to read OK for me in terms story but Banj's observation is a good one. The only slight confusion I had was with that dead-alive bear at the end, so I'm looking forward to seeing that more detailed rendering. :)