April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGAN Nov 2019 - The Watchtower - WIPs

06 Nov 2019 11:50 #26677 by Mindbender

Thanks for the input, Val. I actually moved that sun around quite a bit, just seeing where I might want it. But still wasn't sure. - But did want it somewhere on the left, but then again, thought about changing it to a Moon. :lol: And now probably even more so, seeing Mindbenders dark image. (which I really like the nice layout too MB) Also like the Dark environment you have going. I was actually thinking of changing to this as well. But we'll see. :)

Thank you, glad you like the concept. My children’s only feedback was ”It’s too dark” ?

Really enjoy being in a digital art challenge again - first one in years ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

06 Nov 2019 19:15 #26686 by Mindbender
Next WIP...

Attachments:

06 Nov 2019 20:55 #26687 by Atto
Took an hour or so to throw something down for this. The subject appeals to me as I've been doing some landscape sketching recently in traditional media in the hope of producing something commercially acceptable for the country shows my wife attends with her business.

Was nice to see you on IG Mindbender and I'm digging that spooky atmosphere yours conveys already.

And as others have said thats a really nice start Dave. Great line drawing - looking forward to see it develop.

Anyway here's my initial thoughts...

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mindbender

07 Nov 2019 08:44 #26688 by Mindbender

Was nice to see you on IG Mindbender and I'm digging that spooky atmosphere yours conveys already.

I totally agree. Great that you’re also joining this challenge. Glad you like the atmosphere of mine. Really looking forward to seeing where you’re taking your piece. Rhinos are such beautiful, majestic animals, looks like a very good start ?

08 Nov 2019 15:01 #26694 by Mindbender
Painted some more...
Attachments:

08 Nov 2019 20:34 #26698 by Valence
Mindbender: Ignore all those family members who say it's too dark. They know nothing! :P
There's a lovely atmosphere here and the texture appearing in the building looks very nice. Also I like the sense of loneliness and isolation you've got with the silhouette.

Atto: Excellent strong composition there with the expansive horizon. It's often a great way to contrast against expected verticals of the subject matter. The introduction of the distant creature is an interesting twist too. I really need to know how it's going to develop. :)

I did try out some ideas on Wednesday but, like most things at the moment , it went very bad. Will try again next week. :shrug:

11 Nov 2019 21:57 #26719 by Atto
Thanks Mindbender, i like the addition of those twisty reaching branches in the foreground, and the way you've kept the light from the torches at the base of the tower misty looking.

Cheers Val, I had changed up the composition some, shortened that gap between the two elements but agree that negative space looks better.

Not much more done here but I'm trying to bring out some detail in the creatures face with out bringing him too far into the foreground. Pretty happy with the foggy effect where his feet meet the ground right now and ive pushed them (and his nose) back over the horizon line to strengthen that sense of depth.

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.
Attachments:

11 Nov 2019 22:34 #26720 by Charlotte
That's either a very very big rhino or he's attacking a termite tower (but since we're fantasy nerds I'm gonna go with very very big rhino :D)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

12 Nov 2019 15:03 #26723 by Banj
Mindbender, I like it so far particularly the base of the tower. The upper sections of the tower look out of alignment with the base though so it appears off kilter as if it's falling over.

14 Nov 2019 21:11 - 14 Nov 2019 21:13 #26758 by Digital Dave
Nice updates guys... Sorry I haven't been around, or done anything lately. Dealing with some issues presently, with my Male Pup Kito being the main issue. He's been loosing weight and I started wondering if there was maybe something going on. So after running a bunch of test, he was diagnosed that he has failing kidneys. This is not curable, but we might be able to maintain him with a new Low Protein/High Fat Diet, if we can get his fluids back to normal. ... Will be taking him in every day after work to have a liter of fluids injected under his skin to hopefully help, but we won't know for another week or so? ... And it seems to just keep piling on. Wife called me today and I had to leave work just a few hour after getting there to come home, since her brakes went out in her Trial Blazer. So she had to wait the hour it takes me to get back home and I was able to get it to a shop. (she was at the grocery store) Now waiting to hear back on what the hells going on? No fluid leaking, but was completely empty? Filled it, and still no leaks/leaking, so think there's air in the lines... But this is just a couple things i'm dealing with. Hoping to get back in gear soon.

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D