April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGAN Nov 2019 - The Watchtower - WIPs

01 Nov 2019 17:04 - 01 Nov 2019 17:05 #26611 by Banj
The Watchtower

Brief: Take the title interpret it into some awesome artwork.

Deadline: Midnight on Saturday the 30th of November.

This is where you post your Works in Progress (WIPs). Your final entry should be posted over here: cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/current-...htower-final-entries

Challenge rules and guidelines:
cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...s/39-challenge-rules

Rules in brief:
- All challenge entries must be your own work.
- You should post at least two WIP images that are clearly different from your final entry and each other.
- Your final entry should contain your image (inserted so it shows up full size) and at least two links to your WIP posts on the forum.
- No chatter in the finals thread – if you have questions, post them in the WIP thread or PM an admin.
- Feedback is allowed & encouraged together with the voting and in the WIP thread.
- Deadline is given in UK time (midnight GMT) with a grace period of 5 minutes for getting the post sorted.
- Each member may cast one vote.
- No cheating! Admins may decide to disqualify an entry that does not adhere to the above rules.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

02 Nov 2019 11:36 #26619 by Digital Dave
Man, I haven't put lines on paper in some time, but was thinking about this challenge and just started scribbling last night. ... Not really sure what the hell's going on, but this is what came out. :unsure: One thing just led to another and still not sure what it's supposed to be...

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D
Attachments:

02 Nov 2019 12:54 #26621 by Charlotte
I know what it is! It's a super cool giant statue watchtower! :woohoo:
Keep going!

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Digital Dave

02 Nov 2019 14:33 #26622 by Valence
That looks amazing! I could vote for that picture right now. :lol:

Even without any landscape or any other context you've managed to create an incredible sense of scale, especially with the angle of the statue's face.
Please continue.

05 Nov 2019 02:01 #26658 by Digital Dave
I actually say down last night but didn't do much but look at what I had so far, and to be honest, I wasn't sure what else to do... So I had the idea to simply throw in some color for possible inspiration, or maybe it would help me to figure out what I could do with it? But it was mostly throwing in a color scheme just to start with. Might change? ... Not sure what I'm feeling about it yet.

Attachments:

05 Nov 2019 02:53 #26660 by Valence
Looking good with some nice depth in that receding landscape. :thumbup:
Having the sun cropped at the edge feels a little awkward and claustrophobic. I'd get the urge to move it inwards or extend the canvas a bit. :hmm:

05 Nov 2019 10:03 #26661 by Charlotte
oh no the guard fell over the railing! :ohmy:

I agree with Val about the sun. I'd probably place it in the lowest point of the mountain chain but then again, that's pretty much what I always do, so you might want to try something else :p

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

05 Nov 2019 18:01 #26669 by Mindbender
Attachments:

05 Nov 2019 18:02 #26670 by Mindbender
Not sure where the text went... first sketch. Love your idea, Dave

05 Nov 2019 20:02 - 05 Nov 2019 20:16 #26675 by Digital Dave
Thanks for the input, Val. I actually moved that sun around quite a bit, just seeing where I might want it. But still wasn't sure. - But did want it somewhere on the left, but then again, thought about changing it to a Moon. :lol: And now probably even more so, seeing Mindbenders dark image. (which I really like the nice layout too MB) Also like the Dark environment you have going. I was actually thinking of changing to this as well. But we'll see. :)

oh no the guard fell over the railing! :ohmy:

Yeah, he was probably pushed. :huh: But I'm sure another will be around soon. :)

Damn, I actually logged in this morning, and just now getting some time to respond. Been a busy day, even more so since I'm taking off for the next week to do some hunting. (Hoping to get some time to work on the image, but not sure how much? Will have some long days.)

The following user(s) said Thank You: Mindbender